The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-23-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
No...not your answer...my reply about your signature at the bottom of your post. You misunderstood because I wrote it so vague...my fault...sorry.
No worries Jim and thanks for that clarification.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
Actually as I understand it a Brazilian rosewood guitar is able to be imported and exported as long as u have a cites permit even now. It is not absolutely banned per se as appendix I is not an absolute ban. You are correct the saying that the proposed amendments to be tabled next month will not change this for Brazilian Rosewood but it will exempt musical instruments made of other kinds of Rosewood, and that is what I had posted previously.

Here is a article on getting a musical instrument passport for a guitar having materials that are listed on appendix I.

https://www.fretboardjournal.com/col...t-will-travel/

Shipping the same guitar across borders would involve getting cites permits for export and import.
I applied for a Pre-Cites certificate here in Australia last year to ship a EIR 2009 Martin back to the USA.

There was a section on the application that asks for the rosewood species and makes it very clear that Brazilian rosewood items can NOT be shipped.

I had to provide my proof of purchase, name/address of original maker, original importer and date imported - Martin Guitars were extremely helpful with most of those details.

Certificate was free but took months to process - meanwhile US buyer found same guitar for sale nearby and I didn't like holding him up so I told him to go for it.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 07-23-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
...cites is having their cop2018 conference in Geneva next month...
I thought I read somewhere that the conference was pushed back to October.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:11 PM

I know some don't agree but from the start I've said the CITES regulations on rosewood was one of the most ridiculous things ever, for a number of reasons. Guitar builders and owners, who used a negligible quantity of rosewood, have been seriously affected by these regulations. The main culprit, the furniture industry, on the other hand, is still thriving if this report is to be believed.

- Exploitation has rather increased by 129% while felling/export ban was operative

- Incidence of illegal logging and trade has shot up by 120% in the CITES designated period compare with pre-CITES period
Latulippe OM #17(Sinker Cedar/Indian Rosewood)
Latulippe Foxtrot #29 (electric)
Lavoie Modern Archtop #142 (White Spruce/Mun Ebony)
Benoît Raby Étude classical (2013, Spruce, Indian Rosewood)
Old 07-23-2019, 10:58 PM

It sounds like your form may be pertaining to Appendix II rosewood prohibitions. Perhaps a different form is required for Appendix I prohibited materials like brazilian rosewood or tortoise shell or ivory. But you definitely can apply for a permit for a braz rosewood guitar under cites. See this article:-

https://www.fretboardjournal.com/fea...vation-treaty/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I applied for a Pre-Cites certificate here in Australia last year to ship a EIR 2009 Martin back to the USA.

There was a section on the application that asks for the rosewood species and makes it very clear that Brazilian rosewood items can NOT be shipped.

I had to provide my proof of purchase, name/address of original maker, original importer and date imported - Martin Guitars were extremely helpful with most of those details.

Certificate was free but took months to process - meanwhile US buyer found same guitar for sale nearby and I didn't like holding him up so I told him to go for it.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
I thought I read somewhere that the conference was pushed back to October.
I haven't seen that notice. What I have read on the net says its scheduled in August...

https://enb.iisd.org/cites/cop18/

Could u post a link to it? I hope not as that would delay implementation of the exemption if it is granted.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattste View Post
I know some don't agree but from the start I've said the CITES regulations on rosewood was one of the most ridiculous things ever, for a number of reasons. Guitar builders and owners, who used a negligible quantity of rosewood, have been seriously affected by these regulations. The main culprit, the furniture industry, on the other hand, is still thriving if this report is to be believed.

- Exploitation has rather increased by 129% while felling/export ban was operative

- Incidence of illegal logging and trade has shot up by 120% in the CITES designated period compare with pre-CITES period
I couldn't agree more with you. Typical heavy handed bureaucratic move that was done without any regard or care for the collateral damage despite the fact that it didnt require a rocket scientist to realise pretty quick it would hurt a lot of people unnecessarily. They made the damage worse by doing it so overly fast and without sufficient notice that the world's customs and enforcement offices could not cope and as a result huge backlogs resulted. The fact it didn't even stop the "hung mook" furniture wood makers just underlines how short sighted they were.

Last edited by gitarro; 07-24-2019 at 02:25 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion