The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-31-2019, 01:23 PM

Default String Gauges for Open G tuning?

Greetings!

I have an Ibanez cut-out classical and am learning some tunes in open G.

low to high: DGDGBD. I can't find anything on what string gauges I need.

The string shop says, maybe heavier gauge than standard, (but no

guarantees.) I even tried contacting Ibanez and got crickets. Somebody out

here must know or know where to go to find out. Thanks for your help. BTW, I

dropped down from standard, and ended up at a string break that sawed

itself through the nut.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:59 PM

Was it the #4 string that broke? It and the #3 usually have the greater angle at the nut. Take the broken string and run it back and forth through the nut slot to see if it slides easily. If it's even a little bit tight, the nut slot will benefit from some careful filing in order to open the gap.

If tightness isn't an issue, then see if the nut slot has a burr/sharp edge where the string enters from either end.

As for string suggestions, others will give their thoughts.
Old 10-31-2019, 07:38 PM

Yes. String #4. Much appreciate your advice!
Old 11-01-2019, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

That tuning isn't much lower than standard. So you'd be fine with the same strings you'd use for standard. You might go just one gauge/tension higher. So if you usually use normal, go with hard tension. If you normally use hard, go with extra hard. Since you're tuning lower, the harder tension will compensate for that and make them not seem quite as floppy. It also shouldn't cause issues with the guitar, because of the lower tuning. I used to use strictly extra-hard tension strings on my classicals, in standard tuning, and never had issues. So detuning will even be gentler on your guitar.
Old 11-01-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hseftie View Post
Greetings!

I have an Ibanez cut-out classical and am learning some tunes in open G.

low to high: DGDGBD. I can't find anything on what string gauges I need.

The string shop says, maybe heavier gauge than standard, (but no

guarantees.) I even tried contacting Ibanez and got crickets. Somebody out

here must know or know where to go to find out. Thanks for your help. BTW, I

dropped down from standard, and ended up at a string break that sawed

itself through the nut.
The last part here is a little puzzling to me. Dropping down from standard shouldn't change string 4, which is the one you said broke. Either way, you should definitely look for burrs in the nut slot.

In terms of string gauge, nylon strings are usually designated by vague terms like "normal" and "hard" vs. gauge, which can be difficult to interpret. Part of the issue is that the actual gauge vs. tension is a function of the string material, and different manufacturers use different nylon formulations (or other materials like fluorocarbon). So a given string gauge tuned to the same pitch may result in different tension depending on the material.

If you look at the product info on a site like Strings By Mail, there is often a table that lists the tension at standard pitch for a set of strings. It's not uncommon to detune the low E and occasionally the low A for the classical guitar repertoire, so as was mentioned you may not need anything special here. Detuning the high E may result in a bit of a floppy feel, but even that shouldn't be too bad. If you find less snap and sparkle on the high E when tuned down to D, move up one tension according to the manufacturer. For example, if you're using D'Addario Normal EJ45, then just by a single high E from their Hard EJ46 set and see if that works for you.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:52 AM

You could probably stick with normals, if you like the sound and feel.

But D’Addario high tension strings (EJ46) allow me to play comfortably in a variety of tunings including open G, dadgad, dadf#ad, etc. I have been experimenting with Bb F D F Bb D, and it takes a bit of control to not play it floppy sounding.

High tension strings are sometimes called hard tension. Not all makers have the same actual measurements for what they are calling high tension. So read some labels and do a bit of experimenting to see what you like best.

I would not go up to extra hard or extra heavy - not needed.

Have fun !
Old 11-02-2019, 02:32 PM

Thanks for your input everybody. Got my answer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical