The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-26-2019, 12:34 PM

Default Taking the Taylor 517 to a Bluegrass jam...

...and I'm a little nervous. Ok, I'm not really nervous, but I am very interested to see how well the 517 performs in a bluegrass setting. I guess I'm most interested to hear how well the 517 blends in with the other instruments, and whether or not I'll be able to hear myself.

It's also interesting that I've been playing the 517 almost entirely since its arrival. While the 717 is deeper and has more low end, the 517 just has "it." I can't put my finger on it, but it just does.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:48 PM

You'll be fine. The 517 will fall somewhere between a D-18 and a D-28 tonally, maybe a little closer to a Gibson J-45. If this is a hard core purist bluegrass jam, they may look a bit sideways at something other than the M-word on the head stock, but that says more about them than you.

I don't own a Martin anymore, yet go to bluegrass jams all the time. Usually it is my Rainsong WS-1000 or my Emerald X20, both radical departures from the traditional dreadnought. I've even bought a twelve string at times.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:50 PM

I’m glad you pursued the 517 after the 717 and disregarded the naysayers - good luck with the jam.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:51 PM

I'll be interested in hearing how that goes. I just got my 717 yesterday and love everything about it--it's just deep and thick all the way around.

So you're not selling your 517 anymore? What changed? What is "it"? (Yes, I see that you wrote "I can't put my finger on it . . ." so maybe I'm hoping you figure it out eventually ).
Maestro Singa, Sinker Redwood / Wenge (incoming)

Gone but not forgotten:
Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, sundry others.

Last edited by sakar12; 09-26-2019 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

I'm from E. TN and have seen plenty of bluegrass folks playing Taylors. I'd bet the 517 with it's big focused sound will be great. You can be subtle when accompanying and still demand attention when taking a solo.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakar12 View Post
I'll be interested in hearing how that goes. I just got my 717 yesterday and love everything about it--it's just deep and thick all the way around.

So you're not selling your 517 anymore? What changed? What is "it"? (Yes, I see that you wrote "I can't put my finger on it . . ." so maybe I'm hoping you figure it out eventually ).
The 517 just sounds more aged I guess, and more airy. It's got a more punchy and mid focused sound. The 717 is bigger sounding, but I grab the 517 more. There is more top end with the 717, and it definitely has that rosewood scooped tone. The 517 just seems to play better and I dig the overall vibe. Isn't that crazy? Two guitars that are so similar yet I gravitate to one.

It didn't used to be this way, I much preferred the 717 in the beginning, which is why I thought about selling the 517. But, I'm just not playing the 717 right now.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
The 517 just sounds more aged I guess, and more airy. It's got a more punchy and mid focused sound. The 717 is bigger sounding, but I grab the 517 more. There is more top end with the 717, and it definitely has that rosewood scooped tone. The 517 just seems to play better and I dig the overall vibe. Isn't that crazy? Two guitars that are so similar yet I gravitate to one.

It didn't used to be this way, I much preferred the 717 in the beginning, which is why I thought about selling the 517. But, I'm just not playing the 717 right now.
I don't think it's crazy, but it may only be temporary. One thing I do know is that my ears acclimate to whatever I'm playing more, and then I get "stuck" in a perpetual cycle if I don't allow them to reacclimate to something else.

That is, if I'm only playing my Lowden for a week, which is thick and airy, then the Martin sounds muddy and the Taylor sounds thin. When I let my ears acclimate to the Martin, then the Lowden sounds shimmery and jangly.

Basically, I've learned that I love all my guitars for different reasons and therefore can't A/B them against each other in the same setting. Maybe in a month you'll fall crazy in love with the 717 again. Who knows?
Maestro Singa, Sinker Redwood / Wenge (incoming)

Gone but not forgotten:
Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, sundry others.
Old 09-26-2019, 05:12 PM

Wow I disappear for a few months and everything has changed.Shades no longer has a Gibson or Martin and my only other Taylor dread advocate from Tennessee no longer owns a Taylor and has a beautiful new Martin. What’s next, does rokdawg still have his Eastman?

I still haven’t played a Grand Pacific but I’d definitely like to see how you think it handles in a bluegrass setting. My older Taylor dread fits right at home in a loud jam with other instruments so I’m sure your GP will do just fine. I can’t wait to try one the GP models.
Old 09-26-2019, 05:47 PM

I play my Bourgeois Slope D adi/hog Banjo Killer at bluegrass jams all the time, the latest being this past Saturday In Burkesville, Ky. It is accepted well at every jam because it sounds great and being a Banjo Killer, isn’t lacking any in the volume Dept.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 09-26-2019, 06:13 PM

Of the guitars in Taylor's Grand Pacific model lineup, I've preferred the 517 over the 717 every time I've had a chance to do side by side comparisons. I think it will probably fit in the sonic terrain of a bluegrass jam session very well. The only question that I have with any of the Grand Pacifics is how well they'll project in a crowd situation with lots of other musicians playing at the same time.

The only reason I wonder about that is that I couldn't answer that question for myself the times I've played those guitars: the times I've played them there haven't been any other guitarists back in the acoustic room with me. So I've only ever played them solo.

I reckon you're going to find out soon enough, but I think your 517 should do just fine.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 09-26-2019, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

I took my 717 to a bluegrass camp and no one really noticed. The only comment I got was at a jam and wearing a Collings hat while playing my Taylor.

The guitar itself seem hang with all the other instruments just fine.

D
Old 09-26-2019, 06:37 PM
Charter Member

This should be interesting. I haven't had the opportunity to try a GP but would like to. Please let us know how it plays out...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 09-26-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhodgeh View Post
I took my 717 to a bluegrass camp and no one really noticed. The only comment I got was at a jam and wearing a Collings hat while playing my Taylor.
And your head didn't suddenly catch on fire?!? That's not supposed to happen! Either the Collings cap or the Taylor guitar are supposed to burst into flames through spontaneous combustion whenever they get too close to each other - it's a matter/anti-matter proximity issue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhodgeh View Post
The guitar itself seem hang with all the other instruments just fine.
Glad to hear that.

But the next time you decide to wear your Collings cap while playing your Taylor, wear your race car driver fire-resistant jumpsuit, just to be safe:

˙˙˙

Hope this helps!

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 09-26-2019, 08:22 PM

I used my 1995 810 for the last 12 years at festivals and jams before I picked up my Bourgeois and the first few years I caught a LOT of Flack for having a Taylor. The last several years, Taylors seem to be more accepted. Trey Hensley has done a lot for that because NO ONE in their right mind would question the kind of guitar he plays!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 09-30-2019, 06:19 AM

Didn't get to meet with the guys this weekend. Life got too busy for all of us. Maybe next weekend I'll have a report. I did play around with the 517 and 717 side by side and it really just depends on what I'm playing as to which I prefer. I think the 717 would actually work best in a context where I am the only guitar player, as the low end is really boomy and the high end is more shimmery. The 517 is all midrange and very woody, so it may play better in a group of acoustics.

I'm using the 717 for DADGAD and bluegrass picking and the 517 for folk and when I want to sing a bit.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion