The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-25-2013, 12:05 PM

Question Advice: Trip for an Eastman or Ship a Stonebridge?

Hey guys,

Great to join the Acoustic Guitar Forum! I'm new to this, so pardon me if my forum inexperience shows in my post...

I've been playing a 614ce for a while now, but it's just too bright. When I'm playing fingerstyle, the notes sparkle beautifully, but when I take to strum it can sound like glass...

Been doing some research for a warmer guitar that could take a good, "jangly" strumming. I also have been wanting a smaller guitar, so I was wondering if going with an OM would be a good idea. Particularly, the Eastman E20 OM (Adirondack Top, Rosewood Back) or the Stonebridge OM22 (cedar top/ mahogany Back).

But in doing research, I have found myself in a pickle. I can either drive to Alabama (3 and a half hours) to check out an Eastman E20, or I can order the Stonebridge from Richard's Guitars in the UK. Obviously, more peace of mind comes with being able to play the Eastman before buying. But at the same time, even if I love the Eastman, I'll never know if I missed out big time by not getting the Stonebridge. What would you guys do in my position?

Also, I'm open to any thoughts on these choices. If you think neither of these guitars will suit my "warmer strummer" criterion, let me know!

For an idea of what kind of playing will be done with this guitar...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGOKeGPVYV0 (good sample at about 30 seconds)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_srsRvmMnfY (Again, good sample around 0:30)

Brian
Old 04-25-2013, 12:11 PM

Brian, the red spruce top on the E20OM might be a bit too jangly. The cedar might be warm, but certainly not jangly. I'd strongly suggest you look for an E8OM, with sitka top and rosewood back and sides. Once you give that'n a test drive, I'll wager you'll be driving it home.

Dave
Old 04-25-2013, 12:11 PM

I'd drive to the Eastman, absolutely. Can't help you out on the stonebridge, but the Eastman is worthy of your attention. I love to drive, and hope that you do, too.

Welcome to the forum - the people here are without peer.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcowles@comcas View Post
Brian, the red spruce top on the E20OM might be a bit too jangly. The cedar might be warm, but certainly not jangly. I'd strongly suggest you look for an E8OM, with sitka top and rosewood back and sides. Once you give that'n a test drive, I'll wager you'll be driving it home.

Dave
Try it yourself - personal recommendations will mean nothing. Case in point: I have an adirondack/EIR dread that is not jangly. I also have a Santa Cruz 00-Skye with adi over cocobolo - not jangly. I have played the Eastman E20P - a parlor that kicked butt with its adirondack top. I prefer Adirondack to other top woods. And then, there is the subject of strings. If you put the wrong strings on a given guitar, tone troubles can be at your door. Different ears hear different things - only your ears count.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:44 PM

I like Eastmans, but Stonebridge is Collings quality, completely in a different league. Id go the Stonebridge, but perhaps consider a sitka top model like the one I own the 32sm OM, aged sitka over spruce.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 04-25-2013, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Hi Brian,

First, hello and welcome to the AGF. Glad to have you here.

I would make the trip to try out the Eastman guitars. I do think that sitka spruce often (but not always) sounds less jangly than red spruce, but if you try out the guitars yourself, you can find out. You don't have to buy the Eastman just because you make a 7-hour round trip drive. But you need information to make a decision. You can only get what you need by playing the guitar.

If you do not want to make the drive, you could call Ted at LA Guitar Sales, one of our sponsors here. He sells Eastman and will provide you a good price and a 36-hour trial period. You could give him a call to see what he recommends. The worst that could happen is that you pay for shipping both ways if you return the guitar. I just bought an Eastman archtop from Ted under these circumstances and I am very happy that I did.

The Stonebridge is in a different league from Eastman, but that doesn't mean that you won't find an Eastman that works for you. And you don't have to limit your choices to Eastman or Stonebridge, either. A Taylor 714CE or 814CE would make good strummers, too, and you may be able to find one of these used. Same thing for Martin, Guild, whatever... A good guitar store will generally offer you some choices.

Best of luck,
Glenn
Old 04-25-2013, 01:18 PM

Okay. I'll plan on making the trip Saturday, and crossing my fingers that no one snags it beforehand. The guy selling it is making it sound like if I don't put a non-refundable 25% down right now to reserve it, it'll be gone in no time. So much pressure to buy guitars without hearing them!

The guy at Richard's is suggesting a larger guitar, the gs22cm/c. He says the small bodies aren't gonna handle the strumming as well. What do you think? Should I drop my small guitar dreams?
Old 04-25-2013, 01:21 PM

By the way, thanks for the welcomes everybody!
Old 04-25-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltomi View Post
The guy at Richard's is suggesting a larger guitar, the gs22cm/c. He says the small bodies aren't gonna handle the strumming as well. What do you think? Should I drop my small guitar dreams?
No - - - - - - -
Old 04-25-2013, 01:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltomi View Post
... He says the small bodies aren't gonna handle the strumming as well. What do you think? Should I drop my small guitar dreams?
I prefer strumming larger guitars (dreads and slope dreads) because that's the sound I like and larger guitars do not bother me.

But if you want a smaller guitar, you should be able to find one that suits your needs.

I would not put any money down before going to see a guitar. If he won't hold the guitar, then he won't. The likelihood of that guitar being sold before you get there is not very great. Even if it were, there are plenty of ways to audition new guitars that will not cost you anymore than the gas to drive there. It will be an adventure.

- Glenn
Old 04-25-2013, 01:37 PM

You will get lots of advice about what to play. Most of it is, well, tainted (including my own). The best thing I can tell you is to do as much research as possible and play as many guitars as possible. You've already decided between two guitars without playing either one of them. In all likelihood, neither one of them is the right guitar. That's just my own personal experience talking. Like I said, tainted.

We looked for over a year before we found the guitar Nick is playing now, and played well over 20 very nice guitars. Almost pulled the trigger on a few but something stopped us. Then we played the GE and that was it. Eventually, the right guitar will find you...
"Out of all the sincere and well-intentioned attempts of politics, diplomacy, philosophy, religion, and education to get people to be peaceable together, ironically today, the last thing on earth that all seven billion of us agree on is that we like the steel string guitar." -Dan Crary
Old 04-25-2013, 01:47 PM

Welcome to the forum.

If that's you in the video, I wouldn't change a thing. Great tune!

But, I know what it's like when you get it in your head that you need a change.

So, to clarify, is that a 3 1/2 hour drive each way to check out the Eastman? If so, YIKES! Don't know about you, but if I were to drive even 25 minutes each way I'd probably tend to buy the guitar, even if I didn't want it just so the ride wasn't for nothing.
And as I wouldn't buy a guitar without having played it myself, may I recommend you try to do something to alter the bright tone of your Taylor?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Taylor saddle is Tusq, which - to my ear - tends toward the bright side. More so than bone. Maybe a new bone saddle would help. I'd also consider experimenting with stings. They can make a huge difference. What do you have on there now?
Old 04-25-2013, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
... may I recommend you try to do something to alter the bright tone of your Taylor?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Taylor saddle is Tusq, which - to my ear - tends toward the bright side. More so than bone. Maybe a new bone saddle would help. I'd also consider experimenting with stings. They can make a huge difference. What do you have on there now?
I think this is a very good point. Bob Colosi (a sponsor here on the AGF) can sell Brian a bone saddle for the Taylor for something like $22. They are not very hard to install -- all you need is some sandpaper and patience. A bone saddle adds some bass warmth and removes some of the strident trebles from the Tusq saddle.

And different strings could make all the difference in the world. For example, John Pearse PB strings on a 614 would take a lot of bite out of that Taylor's treble.

It may be that Brian wants the 614 for fingerstyle playing and a different guitar for strumming. If so, well, then another guitar is on the horizon!

- Glenn
Old 04-25-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:

If that's you in the video, I wouldn't change a thing. Great tune!
That is me in the vid, thanks!!

Quote:
So, to clarify, is that a 3 1/2 hour drive each way to check out the Eastman? If so, YIKES! Don't know about you, but if I were to drive even 25 minutes each way I'd probably tend to buy the guitar, even if I didn't want it just so the ride wasn't for nothing.
Very true! It is 3.5 each way. But I'm trying to see it like Glenn put it, 7 hours is worth it to be properly informed. Don't know if my head will stay that cool once I'm in the moment though.

Quote:
Will look into the bone saddle, the strings are currently nanoweb elixirs. I've also used polywebs with same brightness issues.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:37 PM

First...are you driving all that way to see JUST an Eastman E20OM that an individual is selling? Or is this a regular Eastman dealer, who will have other models for you to play? I realized in zipping through the thread first time, I just assumed it would be a dealer. If I was right...good! That would make the trip worth it. Because I'd want you to be able to play other models for comparison: the E8OM (I've got one and love it) is a sitka top brother to the E20OM adi top, both with rosewood, and playing both could tell you something about those top woods. Also, what if rosewood's overtones are too prominent for your ears? They're gorgeous to me, but I'm not really a strummer. Maybe mahogany would sound better for your purpose: trying the E6OM (sitka) and E10OM (adirondack) would tell you. Plus, a dealer would have other brands to try, as well. Just sayin'.

BUT if this is one guy with one guitar...yikes! Dunno if I'd even consider making the trip. How good a deal is he offering? Eastman OM models seem to show up in the classifieds here every couple of weeks, at good prices ($700-$800 or a bit more, depending on model and with or without electronics)...that's how i got mine. And as noted, the sponsors here offer great deals on new, if you'd rather go that route. I'm sitting here trying to guess gasoline costs on top of time...

Also, just so you know, the Eastman OMs aren't the traditional OM scale (25.4") but closer to 000 (25") if that matters to you.

As for the Stonebridge, I'm no help at all. Never played one, though I'd very much like to.

By the way, before I forget to say it, I listened to both clips. I like your voice, like your fellow musicians, like your sound. Keep it up.

Best of luck in your guitar quest.

Dirk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
advice, eastman, new guitar, stonebridge