The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-15-2015, 01:08 PM

Default Some Buying Advice

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and am hoping to take advantage of some of the experience on here.

I'm looking at buying two new acoustics over the next few months and would like some advice/guidance/suggestions.

The first I'm looking for is something in exotic wood, which would be the cheaper purchase. The only one(s) that have caught my eye is the Ibanez EW/AEW series. That's about the price bracket I want.

The second would be a dreadnought, as at the moment I only have 3 Grand Auditoriums - a Taylor 414CE, an ESP Ltd Xtone series and a Tanglewood (which I don't know the model of). I was considering a Taylor 110(e), Martin D-15M, both of which would have to be second hand. I've played the Taylor, which I liked, but not the Martin, which I'm still getting round to. The other choice is a Blueridge BR40, which I've also played and I liked the sound of.

Few points:
- I'm slightly limited as to which brands I can actually try. I don't have many stores nearby and the ones I do have limited stock, so I can't really compare the one to the other easily.
- Any other suggestions as far as the exotic wood goes? I'd like some more choices before I pick one.
- When compared to the Taylor 414, will I be vastly disappointed in the sound of cheaper guitars?
- Also, my upper limit for the dreadnought would be about €900 - €1000, and even that is stretching it, originally I wanted to spend no more than €500.
- Would I be better off saving the money and buying something better than the Taylor. By that, I mean am I likely to notice a difference in sound (my ears aren't "that" tuned in, although they seem to be getting better, if I say go for a Taylor 5/6/7/8 series, or maybe something in Koa.
- Again, all suggestions and advice are welcome

Thanks
Kevin

Last edited by kevinkalis; 09-15-2015 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:15 PM

Skip the Ibanez, seems redundant with what you have. Put the additional money in a better dreadnaught.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:17 PM

Default Save

I agree with HHP, save up and use the money towards a guitar that will last you awhile...
Old 09-15-2015, 01:22 PM

Check out the Eastman AC120, their cheapest Dread, about the price of a Blueridge BR-40, but a better guitar, great top.

Snark Tuner
Old 09-15-2015, 01:40 PM

At that price, I certainly have to consider the Eastman.

To be honest, I would've bought the Ibanez just because it looks pretty - the reviews on it aren't bad but it probably would've been money I could've spent on something better.

Any dreadnought suggestions in an exotic wood finish?
Old 09-15-2015, 01:44 PM

Can you explained what the purpose of "exotic" wood is? I think only on very high end guitars would a solid exotic wood be used that would have a distinctive sound. For mid and low priced guitars I would expect the wood to be laminated with little impact on tone. So in that case, just buy what looks good to you.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:51 PM

You should check out the Martin D-15M. All Mahogany brings something totally new to the game tone-wise.

If you don't like it, move on. I'd skip the Blueridge and the 110. You already have better tone in your hands now.

And yes, you will be disappointed in most cheaper guitars after playing your 414 IMHO.

I love Eastman overall but have been unimpressed by their 1 and 2 series guitars (& yes I have played several and owned one).

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 09-15-2015, 01:53 PM

tbh, I wanted the exotic wood just because it looks good, but I'm beginning to think it's redundant.

Any other suggestions. So far I'm liking the Eastman guitars, even the slightly more expensive ones that come in solid wood. How would the Eastmans stack up against similarly priced Taylor 1/2 series or Martins?
Old 09-15-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkalis View Post
tbh, I wanted the exotic wood just because it looks good, but I'm beginning to think it's redundant.

Any other suggestions. So far I'm liking the Eastman guitars, even the slightly more expensive ones that come in solid wood. How would the Eastmans stack up against similarly priced Taylor 1/2 series or Martins?
There is no competition comparing a 300-500 series of Eastman to a Taylor 100-200 series. Eastman is far superior. I would put my AC522 against a 314 or 414 all day long and win - especially in the volume department.

I don't care for the MIM Martins either. 15 series and up and you can't go wrong. Where do you live - in the US?

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 09-15-2015, 02:09 PM

Well that's certainly good to know about the Eastman. The AC522 is a bit expensive for me although the 320 and 420 have certainly jumped to the top of my list.

I live in The Netherlands so guitar stores are few and far between.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

I'd heartily suggest that you save your money and keep looking at what's out there... I'm a big fan of having ONE guitar that you absolutely adore and cherish, one guitar that makes the sounds YOU want to hear... as opposed to buying a bunch of lower priced items, just to have something around...

As far as exotic woods go, you are just not going to find anything worthwhile at a cheap price point... you may be able to get something that's laminated, but not solid wood... as far as a Taylor dreadnought goes, I have never played a Taylor dreadnought that was anything to "write home about"... I'm a fan of their guitars, in general, but I don't feel they "do" dreadnought very well...

If you are really wanting something special, I'd recommend that you stay away from the Taylor 100 or 200 series, as well as the comparable Martin guitars... in that realm, companies like Eastman or Breedlove are a much better guitar for less money...

I know what it's like to REALLY want a new guitar, but don't be in a hurry to buy something that isn't going to stick with you... finding a "lifetime guitar" is worth spending the extra time and money on...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 09-15-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkalis View Post
Well that's certainly good to know about the Eastman. The AC522 is a bit expensive for me although the 320 and 420 have certainly jumped to the top of my list.

I live in The Netherlands so guitar stores are few and far between.
I agree with EVERYTHING that Jseth said.

You should also put the E6D and E8D on your list to look at - they are beasts. (in a good way).

Good luck in your search.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic, advice, exotic, ibanez, taylor