The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-01-2013, 07:38 PM

Question What to look for when buying used

Hey guys,
About me: intermediate player, just rediscovered the joys of guitar after a two-year forced hiatus (couldn't take my Hagstrom D2H with me to college and didn't have the money to buy a new axe), wanting advice on how to critique a used guitar.
I found a sweet-looking Seagull S6 for $250 on Craigslist and I'm hoping to test it out in person this weekend, but I've never bought used and want to know what to look for. I know to check for all the usual suspects (cracks, misaligned frets etc.) but I'm less sure about checking the effects of humidity or testing the tuners. So, what should I look at, what questions should I ask, and how do I keep from catching a bad case of buyer's remorse?
PS You guys are great!
Old 09-01-2013, 08:25 PM
Dan - Charter Member

This thread below covered pretty much the same topic recently. There are a lot of good tips there:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=303963

Last edited by dhalbert; 09-01-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:36 PM

I was just at a music store and they had a used one in beautiful condition for 180 with case. There are some good videos on UTube about this guitar. I had one many years ago and loved it. The above post has it covered. Cheers
Old 09-01-2013, 10:01 PM
Guest316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma Dog View Post
Hey guys,
About me: intermediate player, just rediscovered the joys of guitar after a two-year forced hiatus (couldn't take my Hagstrom D2H with me to college and didn't have the money to buy a new axe), wanting advice on how to critique a used guitar.
I found a sweet-looking Seagull S6 for $250 on Craigslist and I'm hoping to test it out in person this weekend, but I've never bought used and want to know what to look for. I know to check for all the usual suspects (cracks, misaligned frets etc.) but I'm less sure about checking the effects of humidity or testing the tuners. So, what should I look at, what questions should I ask, and how do I keep from catching a bad case of buyer's remorse?
PS You guys are great!
The thread that dhalbert links to has a lot of great information that answers your question, but I just wanted to pop in and tell ya "Welcome to AGF!"
Old 09-02-2013, 05:03 AM

Welcome to the AGF, Gamma. The Seagull's a great guitar. Just remember that there are tons of guitars out there. If you don't feel comfortable with that specific guitar (tone or structurally) or you just don't trust the seller, don't be afraid to walk out. In other words, don't be pressured to buy.

Good luck!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
advice, craigslist, seagull s6, used guitar