The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-10-2019, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Default Shipping guitars from US to Europe

If all goes well, I will be buying a guitar off of the forum in the next weeks. It will be in the range of 3000-4000 dollars (used price), and in this price bracket there isn't a lot of selection over here on the used market.

I'm looking for advice regarding having the guitar shipped. Which carriers should I request. How about insurance? Anything I should be careful of?

Sales tax is 7.7% here and I'm aware that I will likely have to pay that for the value of the guitar. I assume that this is based on the used price that I pay - right?

Thanks!
Brian
Old 11-10-2019, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

I just bought a guitar from Germany. Shipping cost’s via DHL Germany to California $175... But when I’ve checked shipping prices from USA to Germany it’s closer to $275-350 usd USA to Germany via UPS. Not sure why it is more expensive shipping to Europe from USA. ??? I ALWAYS PURCHASE INSURANCE.
Old 11-11-2019, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Rumble.

I don't really even know what shipping companies are commonly used in the US to ship guitars. - what does everyone use?
Old 11-11-2019, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlcox View Post
Thanks Rumble.

I don't really even know what shipping companies are commonly used in the US to ship guitars. - what does everyone use?
The most common would be UPS, FedEx, and the US Postal Service. The problem with the postal service is that the box size for most acoustic guitars is over their size limit.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Thanks! I just checked the rates:

UPS and FedEx want about 800-1000 to ship. no thanks.
USPS wants 150. This is totally reasonable. They only insure up to a value of 650 US though. I guess this is why people have separate insurance for shipping guitars. I guess I will have to speak with the seller and see what he can offer.

Thanks again for the help!
Brian
Old 11-11-2019, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

You're probably not going to be able to use USPS for an acoustic because their maximum dimension for international shipping is 108" length plus girth (girth being the perimeter of the box around the width and depth). Usually, an acoustic box is 50x22x10", which puts you at 114" total. So whoever is shipping will have to pay really close attention to getting the box as small as possible.

Sometimes a USPS clerk will let them through without checking the dimensions if you get lucky, but they usually check on me.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:25 PM

I would have the guitar shipped to one of receiving companies in Waldshut and then drive it back through the Koblenz crossing. I once ordered a guitar from Spain to CH and it cost a fortune in duty and taxes.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:09 AM
Charter Member

Okay, I just measured the only acoustic box in the house and it fit, so I was hoping that the seller would find a similar sized one.

Regarding duty @ BaybyBay - isn't tax higher (20%) in Germany compared to 7.7% in Switzerland? What did you have to pay for duty? I was hoping to pay only tax and no duty....

On the other hand, I just might have a friend coming to visit from the US for thanksgiving. Maybe I can ship the guitar to him and have him bring it over for me.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:45 AM

Best of luck - the near 25% up charge due to tax etc makes importing to the UK very problematic. I wish you well
Old 11-12-2019, 02:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafgog View Post
Best of luck - the near 25% up charge due to tax etc makes importing to the UK very problematic. I wish you well
Not just the VAT and Import Duty - the crappy X-Rates have worked against us importing guitars from the US since 2016.

When I bought my Martin OM-28 Marquis from the States in 2007, the X-Rate was 1 GBP = 2 USD, and I saved a fortune even after UK taxes and duty. Now the rate is down around 1.15, there’s no room for significant savings any more.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 11-12-2019, 04:05 AM
Charter Member

Hi, I have imported three guitars from the USA to the UK.
In each case, I had to pay and excise duty of app 3 to 6% (on the value plus the shipping costs), and then 20% VAT on value +shipping costs, plus excise duty) plus a variable privce called"handling cost" which is about the shipper handling the excise and tax payments.

All were worth the challenge.
I contacted HM Customs and Excise and took advice directly from them - they were most helpful.

Shippers varied, but all arrived safely.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:44 AM

Quote:
If all goes well, I will be buying a guitar off of the forum in the next weeks. It will be in the range of 3000-4000 dollars (used price), and in this price bracket there isn't a lot of selection over here on the used market.

I'm looking for advice regarding having the guitar shipped. Which carriers should I request. How about insurance? Anything I should be careful of?

Sales tax is 7.7% here and I'm aware that I will likely have to pay that for the value of the guitar. I assume that this is based on the used price that I pay - right?

Thanks!
Brian
I expect you already know that if there is any rosewood in the instrument you will need CITES import and export documentation.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
I expect you already know that if there is any rosewood in the instrument you will need CITES import and export documentation.
Not anymore. This changed a couple of months ago.

"... owners of instruments made with rosewood components will once again be able to ship an instrument internationally for service, or to sell, without needing a permit. And traveling internationally with a musical instrument made with rosewood will now be easier. The new CITES exemption ends what has been a tumultuous three-year period for both the musical instrument community and the Convention itself."

https://blog.taylorguitars.com/rosew...-cites-permits

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 11-12-2019, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Red face

CITES will relax their restrictions as of November 26 this year. As of now they're still killing everything. Another thing to consider, is FedEx just changed their rules, & will not insure for more than $1000.US. Shipping costs are almost prohibitive just within the continental US, let alone figuring in all the international duties & taxes. My advice, is just don't do it. Be patient & find something local.
Steve
Old 11-12-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:

On the other hand, I just might have a friend coming to visit from the US for thanksgiving. Maybe I can ship the guitar to him and have him bring it over for me.

That's a thought. If it doesn't have any BRW, your friend would probably have no problems. Providing they are willing to do that.

Martin: D-28, 00-18V, Custom 000-21, D12-35
Guild: GF-60M
Martin C1K ukulele, Kala soprano ukulele
Kentucky mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion