The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-17-2018, 05:17 PM

Default Restringing slothead guitars

I absolutely love slothead guitars. I like the way they look, feel, play, sound, etc, etc. The biggest complaint I’ve always had, and have heard others talk about is that they are a pain to restring and do a neat and tidy job.

Well, along with that, in my 50+ years of changing strings, I’ve always considered electric string winders a frivolous accessory, not necessary, and really for sissies. Well I’m here to confess, I’ve changed my tune, punfully speaking.

I recently bought a slothead dread, and was “dreading” the string changing duties. Now, I’m retired and have more time for such chores, so the time it takes isn’t that big a deal, but getting a neat job still eluded me. I thought if there was a way to do it and NOT have to turn the guitar on it’s side, things would go much better. The thought of a power string winder popped into my head and so I dropped in to my local dealer and secured one. Always looking for an excuse for another power tool.

Now, with the headstock extended out over the neck rest, I can approach the tuners from the bottom, keeping the guitar flat on its back. I measure the string to the next highest tuner post, clip it off, put a sharp bend in it, stick it thru the hole, engage the power tool and wind away, feeding it neatly toward the outside of the headstock. I can now change strings as quickly as I can on a paddle head guitar.

Forgive me if I’m treading over plowed ground here. I may be the last guy in guitardom to discover this, but I just had to share.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:20 PM

I love my electric drill winder! I'll never go back...never!
scott
Old 12-17-2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerblair View Post
I may be the last guy in guitardom to discover this, but I just had to share.
Nope, you're not -- I think I'm the last one. You pushed me over the edge. Santa's getting me a winder. I'm tired of sore thumbs doing it manually.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Makes sense. I like my Frank’s Crank winder as well.

Forum member Silly Moustache made a nice video on stringing slot heads that I rather like. I’m a fan of slot heads as well!

Old 12-17-2018, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
…that they are a pain to restring…
Hi Rb

PAIN is the operative word here!!!

Yes…stabbed fingertips are a pain, and I usually managed to draw blood when restringing mine. I finally sold it to a friend (not because of the hassle of re-stringing).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 12-17-2018 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:41 PM

This is a timely post. About a week ago my sister wanted to know what to get me for Christmas and I sent her a link to Amazon for a power winder. I have three slot head guitars and 4 slot head ukuleles. That power winder will earn it's keep for sure.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:42 PM

I enjoy the challenge of doing a neat job when restringing my slot-head... and yes, the powered winder really helps!
However, I only wind strings 1 & 6 to the outside and 2,3,4 and 5 to the inside.
Why?
To keep the string path more in line with the nut groove.

I do understand this can't be done on every slot-head and the strings do come close to touching the headstock but as my 2nd picture shows, they clear it OK.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

Last edited by Brucebubs; 12-17-2018 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:44 PM

I know that saying so automatically excludes me from belonging to the Cool Guy Guitar Owners Club, but I seriously dislike having to restring slotted headstocks. I don’t dislike that headstock design enough that it would keep me from buying a guitar that I liked otherwise, but I certainly don’t go seeking out those guitars. The times I’ve custom ordered guitars that normally have slotted headstocks, like the 12 fret Triple O and the 12 fret Double O, I’ve had them built with solid headstocks instead.

I know, I know, that makes me a wuss, in direct contrast with you hairy-chested, two-fisted slothead fanciers....

Wade Hampton “Or Maybe I Just Know What I Like...” Miller
Old 12-17-2018, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
I love my electric drill winder! I'll never go back...never!
scott
^^^^^This is the answer!^^^^^

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 12-17-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
...I only wind strings 1 & 6 to the outside and 2,3,4 and 5 to the inside.
Why?
The other side of the coin is that if you wind 1 and 6 to the inside, and the others to the outside; the tension pulls the windings tight and reduces the chance of tuning instability.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:56 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I enjoy the challenge of doing a neat job when restringing my slot-head... and yes, the powered winder really helps!
However, I only wind strings 1 & 6 to the outside and 2,3,4 and 5 to the inside.
Why?

I do understand this can't be done on every slot-head and the strings do come close to touching the headstock but as my 2nd picture shows, they clear it OK.

This. Just the way I do it.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I measure the string to the next highest tuner post, clip it off, put a sharp bend in it, stick it thru the hole, engage the power tool and wind away, feeding it neatly toward the outside of the headstock.
Pretty much exactly the way I do it, except that I find making the bend BEFORE clipping it to be much easier and less injury prone...
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 12-17-2018, 06:27 PM

Dave Doll from Martin has a very good, clear, You Tube video on restringing slot heads. His paddlehead and classical restringing videos are also very good.

I have a tuner "bit" for a power screwdriver, but lately I've been using one of those little manual winders. Just another data point.
Blueridge BR-142
Recording King R0-T16
Alvarez AP66SHB
Old 12-17-2018, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I know that saying so automatically excludes me from belonging to the Cool Guy Guitar Owners Club, but I seriously dislike having to restring slotted headstocks. I don’t dislike that headstock design enough that it would keep me from buying a guitar that I liked otherwise, but I certainly don’t go seeking out those guitars. The times I’ve custom ordered guitars that normally have slotted headstocks, like the 12 fret Triple O and the 12 fret Double O, I’ve had them built with solid headstocks instead.

I know, I know, that makes me a wuss, in direct contrast with you hairy-chested, two-fisted slothead fanciers....

You are dead to me Wade Hampton Miller.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post

I’m not fond of them either.
The only one I’ve had suffered a broken truss rod, (thankfully) and had a new neck put on. A neck with standard tuners.

Like Wade, I won’t go seeking one out. But if a guitar I fancy happens to be a slot-head, I won’t pass it up because it is a slot-head.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion