The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-12-2003, 12:32 PM

Default Small handmade luthiers and brands

Can someone give me a list of small luthiers and handmade guitars. I'm looking for something like a SJ, something handmade, that is good for fingerstyle.

I would also like any info if anyone has any on Mayes guitars. What's the story with them? They sound very interesting, and I like the prices.

So I would like to find the cheapest (as in affordable, not nessisarily cheap) handmade guitar, that I can order. I'm looking at this as a possibility for me.

Thanks!
Aaron
2003 Taylor 314ce-L1 Gloss Hawaiian Koa
2003 Taylor 214-L3 Maranatha Limited
2007 Epiphone Les Paul Junior
2006 Taylor Baby Maple Limited
2003 Taylor Baby
2000 Ibanez PF-6NT
1995 Crestwood Guitar
Old 09-12-2003, 12:35 PM

Oh...not interested in a Taylor anymore? Thought you were excited about the 4xx the other day?
Old 09-12-2003, 12:39 PM

Yes, yes, still interested in my 414, just a more recent thing than my ideas for a SJ. This fall/winter I should have enough for my 414. I'm actually speaking, down the road maybe putting in for an order for a nice fingerstyle guitar sometime maybe next spring, depending on how my job goes. I would think that would be a good balance, baby for travel, 414, and a custom Redwood Rosewood fingerstyle custom.

Just a thought, maybe I wont do it. But, yes definatly on the 414, I've got no question on that, and no, I havent lost my intrest in Taylors! It's still there........ awwwwwww TAS!!!

Your Online-Half Brother (sort of!)
Aaron Keefer
2003 Taylor 314ce-L1 Gloss Hawaiian Koa
2003 Taylor 214-L3 Maranatha Limited
2007 Epiphone Les Paul Junior
2006 Taylor Baby Maple Limited
2003 Taylor Baby
2000 Ibanez PF-6NT
1995 Crestwood Guitar
Old 09-12-2003, 12:39 PM

http://www.taylorguitarforum.com/for...t=luthiers+who

Here is a good thread from a couple of weeks ago that lists many.
Old 09-12-2003, 12:44 PM

You might check out Morgan Guitars www.morganguitars.com I am in the process of ordering one myself. They are not the smallest guitar maker out there but good quality. Made by David Iannone, Who does the custom shop Larrivee guitars. He's a great guy who cares alot about what he does. And the tone/feel of his guitars is amazing. The moment I had one in my hands I was in love.
'06 Baby Taylor - "Cry Baby"

"The resident unoffical Morgan spokes woman"

Morgan player #26 - www.morganguitars.com

"If men are from Mars and Women are from Venus then Drummers are from Pluto" - 'Still Crazy'
Old 09-12-2003, 12:59 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

In no particular order, Blanchard, , Olson, Ryan, Petros, Wingert Eichelbaum, Flammang, Somogyi, Robertson, Omega, McAlister, Hoffman, Carruth, Beneteau, Schoenberg Soloist, Tippin, Linda Manzer, Lanjeans, Thompson, Kinscherff, Borges, Mayes, Kinnaird, Treat, Walker, Sobell, Greven, Claxton, Mayes, Tippin, Leach etc.etc.etc. These are just a few of the names that are out there.
I recommend that you hang out for a while at "The 13th Fret" forum site and see what folks there have to say. Surf on over to sites that specialize in small shop/custom guitars and see what they have. (Like Guitar Gallery). If you have any questions about specific buiders the folks at the 13th fret can probably answer them for you, and would be happy to tell you their thoughts comparing one builder to another (as many folks there have either owned or played many different builders guitars).

Most of the builders mentioned above have great CV's, and/or have great reputations in the world of custom guitars (among customers and other builders) and/or I have had the chance to play them and been very impressed. I suggest that you don't just get 1 or 2 names from well intentioned friends, but really get to know the market.

http://www.13thfret.com/cgi-bin/futureforum.cgi

http://www.guitargal.com/

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,

Last edited by Jeff M; 09-12-2003 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-12-2003, 01:04 PM

Aaron, I think this thread I posted up some weeks ago may be helpful for you...although I'm not so sure their works of art are cheap at all.

Links to Some Well-known Luthiers
Old 09-12-2003, 01:08 PM

A price range would help.

In the lower end of the handmade arena there's some great guitars from Paragon and Northwood. In fact, since you're in Arizona there's a rosewood Northwood MJ at a Phoenix store for an absolute steal right now. I know you're talking in the future, but if you want to try this one e-mail me for details.

The next step up in price I'd definitely check out Kent Hamblin, who made Thurmabus' new guitar. I haven't tried one, but the guys I know who were at Healdsburg all said he was really underpriced for the amazing quality of his work.
Old 09-12-2003, 01:11 PM

Yep. Lots of good builders listed on that thread.

I have dealt with Flammang, Blanchard, Walker, Wingert, Claxton, Sobell, Borges, Schoenberg, Robertson, McCollum, McAlister, Eichelbaum, Petros, Flammang and have nothing but good things to say about them all.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

Norman Maclean,

Last edited by Jeff M; 09-12-2003 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-12-2003, 01:32 PM

Check out Bruce Petros
http://www.petrosguitars.com/index.html
2021 224CE K DLX Koa
/COLOR]

Guitars, you only get out of it what you put into it

Member #885
Old 09-12-2003, 01:38 PM

Default Mayes guitars

i've got a Mayes Parlor....and a Mayes something (i'm still not sure what...but my spot is reserved) on order.

they are wonderful. i can't say enough about John or his guitars.

email me @ [email protected] if you have specific questions or i can give you my number & we can talk live.

david
Old 09-12-2003, 01:44 PM

Bruce isn't making what most people would call a "Small Jumbo" guitar, but having said that, I would put my Petros FS (more of a 00 sized guitar) up against amy jumbo or small jumbo in terms of resonance, percussive bass, depth of tone.

Contrary to what intuition tells you, a "Jumbo" or "Small Jumbo" body size does not necessarily mean a guitar with a nice deep resonant tone and deep bass. What you may think you would be getting with a Small Jumbo guitar you may actually be more likely to get with a smaller bodied instrument. Projection, clarity of tones, volume, overtones all go into what we percieve as a resonant, deep sounding guitar. Talk it over with whatever builders you are looking at, tell them what you are looking for.

(I got to play a new Schoenberg Soloist 14 fret 25.4" scale 00 sized guitar last month that just flored me. Deep bass, balance, great projection-it whomped on every other non-dread in the store in terms of depth of tone, but without the tendency for a dreads overpowering bass. Incredible fingerstyle guitar).

Henry Van Dyke

Norman Maclean,
Old 09-12-2003, 01:49 PM

I don't think anyone has mentioned them, but I wouldn't exclude Legend guitars either. Nice stuff for the money.
Old 09-12-2003, 01:54 PM

Along the same lines, do not count out Santa Cruz guitars or Collings. You will be more likely to get our hands on one of these to try out than most small builders, and they are in the same quality range as most custom builders. (My current GAS is for a SCGC VJ, Vintage Southerner or Southerner Deluxe, if I could just get my hands on all 3 to A/B them.)

Henry Van Dyke

Norman Maclean,
Old 09-12-2003, 02:01 PM

I've never played a Mayes guitar or seen one with my own eyes, but I have a Mayes guitar on order from John anyway. I have yet to hear a single negative thing about his guitars. He's really patient with my questions and thorough with his answers. He's definitely worth checking out (the site and guitars, not John. Ew).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification