The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-28-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
What a magnificent music room! Love the Rug under the piano. (And all the super cool instruments of course)

Thanks for all your recent contributions to this thread. Good stuff my friend!
Thanks so much!

I was incredibly lucky to find that rug -- I was in Tuesday Morning one day and just stumbled across it. If someone had a custom made rugbmade for an ebony grand, it couldn't be any more perfect than this one -- I couldn't believe it. Even the legs match up perfectly.

I don't play electric (my son does) but I DO love to roll the Fender amp outside and blast the intro to Hotel California with my Takamine 12-string. I am CERTAIN that it can be heard for at least a mile (I live on acreage).
Old 11-28-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by open-road-matt View Post
Lots of fun Bose L1 love on the AGF! Years ago I was called names on here for singing the praises of the L1!

I too heard those horror stories but I've never had any trouble with the mic stand bracket. I don't use it on my vocal mic stand though.

I have two different T1 options.

One is my trusty Da-Lite Project-O-Stand:

The other is my more portable option:

That whole thing folds down into a little soft briefcase.

Oddly enough, the only two times my T1 has taken a dive was from the larger table. Once I had a woman come up to ask me something and when she turned to walk away she caught her foot on the T1 cable and pulled it down. The other was on a sunset cruise in Key West. We hit a wave and the T1 went flying. The cable saved it from going overboard! It's a hardy piece of gear!

Matt
That Da Lite stand looks like something I could use to get my Schertler Jam 200 off of the ground! And unlike you guys that love the L1 systems, I'm not a typical fan (to each his own), but I LOVE the T1 mixer, so much power in such a small footprint!!!! Sometimes I use this in one channel of the Schertlers when I want the EQ and FX options that it has to offer, and it also sounds great with every powered speaker that I own. AND, mine has taken a dive to the floor more than once and I've yet to have a problem with it!!!
Old 11-28-2017, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
That Da Lite stand looks like something I could use to get my Schertler Jam 200 off of the ground! And unlike you guys that love the L1 systems, I'm not a typical fan (to each his own), but I LOVE the T1 mixer, so much power in such a small footprint!!!! Sometimes I use this in one channel of the Schertlers when I want the EQ and FX options that it has to offer, and it also sounds great with every powered speaker that I own. AND, mine has taken a dive to the floor more than once and I've yet to have a problem with it!!!
The Da-Lite Project-O-Stand is a great table! The legs unscrew from the table and then pop into the bottom of the table for storage and transport. It can hold a lot of weight and take a lot of abuse. Many years ago I got caught in a bad storm at a gig on the shore of Lake Superior. I got my guitar in the case and my L1 bagged up before I had to make a run for it. The Project-O-Stand was thrown out into Lake Superior. I had to wade out there to get it!

I think it would do well with the Jam 200. I've put my Compact on it in "table top" mode. The only issue I had is that the low notes on my guitar caused the table legs to vibrate from time to time but my table is really old (and it's been in a lake!)

I totally agree on the T1!

Matt
Old 11-28-2017, 02:48 PM

While on the subject of mounting.

I bought my T1 used and it came with this bracket.

Thought I'd share the photos and info.

Old 11-28-2017, 03:44 PM

Opps. Ignore double post.

Last edited by Tico; 11-28-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:48 PM

Responding to post #164 from Reasley:
He mentioned of the sound improvement from moving up to better mics.
A huge +1 on that!

I also have the Bose L1 Model 2, B2 Bass, T1 mixer.
I also have a pair of Shure SM 58s ... actually their newer upgraded model, Beta 58A with slightly-extended high frequency response, narrower pickup pattern, and higher sensitivity.

It all sounds excellent!
But when gigging at safer upscale locations (no belligerent drunks stumbling around) I bring some much better mics.
The improvement in sound is astounding, not just to me, but judging by feedback, to the audience and staff.

Sennheiser MD-441
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...SABEgK7DPD_BwE

AKG 414 XLS
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/C414XLS

DPA d:fine 4088-B mini condenser headset
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/4088B

DPA d:vote VO 4099G guitar pick up mini condenser
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VO4099G

Why mention all this besides bragging?
My point is, the sound quality from the Bose is so detailed and transparent that it justifies buying the best mics you can afford.
This is not true for every PA.

An audio chain is only as strong as its weakest link.
With most PAs much of what you pay for in a $1,000 mic is wasted, but not with my Bose.
Similarly, much of the $3,200 I paid for my Bose PA is wasted if I use SM-58s.
Of course cost is a real factor for nearly everyone, and there are many better mics that I can't afford.

Next, to echo what Reasley's daughter said, the Bose not only makes me sound my best, it also gives me confidence.
Knowing all the musical nuances are easily heard by everyone in the room helps me not push it.
Rather, when performing I can just relax.
I feel comfortable, much as I do when playing alone in my living room.

And no, I'm not a shill for Bose, AKG, DPA, or Sennheiser ... or for Sweetwater.

Last edited by Tico; 11-29-2017 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
While on the subject of mounting.

I bought my T1 used and it came with this bracket.

Thought I'd share the photos and info.

Hi jake! Thanks for sharing that photo'. I had no idea you could the bracket like that with the L1 Compact. Brilliant my friend! You make me rethink maybe adding a T1. Yet I wonder how my system would sound any better? I have no issues that way it is now.

Perhaps I should simply heed; "Don't fix it if it ain't broke?" ..But that T1 does offer some nice mixer features like digital effects and compression correct?
Collings D1 Traditional
Collings OM1C
Gibson EC Ebony Songwriter Custom
Emerald X20
Emerald X30
Martin OMC-28 Custom
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Fender 61 Wildwood 10 Strat
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC

www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 11-28-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Hi jake! Thanks for sharing that photo'. I had no idea you could the bracket like that with the L1 Compact.
Hey Jake, so in the heat of battle do you think you'll be fine having the T1 where it is as pictured (which is decidedly un-funky, looks like it belongs there) or do you think you'll wind up going another route, or too soon to tell?
Old 11-28-2017, 04:22 PM

I don't understand putting the T1 mixer on the speaker column, which is behind the performer.

When I play I need the mixer in front of me.

I also despise Bose's mic stand holder ... my only complaint against the Bose PA.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
I don't understand putting the T1 mixer on the speaker column, which is behind the performer.

When I play I need the mixer in front of me.

I also despise Bose's mic stand holder ... my only complaint against the Bose PA.
I typically get dialed in and then never touch the mixer again the rest of the event, so while its nice to have next to me or in front, I don't find that to be a deal breaker. Most every mixer I've ever used was behind me or beside on stage.
Collings D1 Traditional
Collings OM1C
Gibson EC Ebony Songwriter Custom
Emerald X20
Emerald X30
Martin OMC-28 Custom
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Fender 61 Wildwood 10 Strat
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC

www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 11-28-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
I typically get dialed in and then never touch the mixer again the rest of the event, so while its nice to have next to me or in front, I don't find that to be a deal breaker. Most every mixer I've ever used was behind me or beside on stage.
Granted.
Makes sense.

In my case I change settings for some songs.
Also, though rarely needed, I feel less anxious when I have the mixer right in front of me in case of feedback.
I guess I feel about it kinda like a fire extinguisher.

Last edited by Tico; 11-28-2017 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Hi jake! Thanks for sharing that photo'. I had no idea you could the bracket like that with the L1 Compact. Brilliant my friend! You make me rethink maybe adding a T1. Yet I wonder how my system would sound any better? I have no issues that way it is now.

Perhaps I should simply heed; "Don't fix it if it ain't broke?" ..But that T1 does offer some nice mixer features like digital effects and compression correct?
I have only used the L1C and T1 live once so far....
for my solo Wine Bar gig.

This is an upscale sorta place. Playing "background music"... But the staff absolutely loved the sound. They liked the volume throughout the room. No one got blasted with volume. (One server told me it was the best guitar he'd heard). Went on to say, most guitars sound treble"y" and annoyingly bright (he's a musician too). Nice compliment... but I owe it to my Gibson J-45 True Vintage.

Also during first set they normally ask performers to stay on the lower volume side... But Half way through they told me to turn it up!

But this had more to do with the Bose L1 Compact than the T1.........

OK... That didn't answer the question.
Honestly, the T1 is icing on the cake..... I rely on my TCH Play Acoustic unit. I use it for guitar, vocal effects, harmonies and looper.

I got the T1 mainly to try it out ... Plus use it for when I play with my Duo partner. Allowing him to plug Mandolin and mic... Or just mic and use his amp for the mando. Which will be a nice clean setup. But we can easily use a standard mixer too in place of the T1.

So at the moment the T1 is not necessary for solo gigs. Although it does have much better sound shaping, EQ, Para EQ, compression, ToneMatch settings, reverb etc... Than the Play Acoustic pedal. But the PA is so simple to set up!
Old 11-28-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
I understand dialing in one great sound works for many performers. For me, the point of having a device like the T1, which remembers "scenes," is taking advantage of that flexibility.

That said, I certainly don't need to switch scenes after every song. So I'm hoping the bracket Jake showed would do the job.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
Hey Jake, so in the heat of battle do you think you'll be fine having the T1 where it is as pictured (which is decidedly un-funky, looks like it belongs there) or do you think you'll wind up going another route, or too soon to tell?
Once I get the hang of the set up and settings..
I would prefer to use as shown.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
I understand dialing in one great sound works for many performers. For me, the point of having a device like the T1, which remembers "scenes," is taking advantage of that flexibility.

That said, I certainly don't need to switch scenes after every song. So I'm hoping the bracket Jake showed would do the job.
I hear ya Troggg - I have only had the unit for a short period of time..
But as others.. I try to minimize my "gear" and cables and stage clutter. So yes the bracket helps to clean things up.

However, In general, to me a mixer is set and forget... (except when necessary for tweaking) or plugging in a guest etc.

Now with my limited experience with the T1... I don't believe it was intended as a Live switching "effects" unit .. What I mean by that, it doesn't have foot switch or even an easy to use presets (scenes).

I picture using the scenes using for different situations or venues... Like tonight I'm outside on the patio or next time I am in the large room. Here's a scene ready for my Duo.

I have to say, My Play acoustic with the Switch 6 covers a lot of ground....

LASTLY, don't get me wrong..... The T1 is amazing on it's own. The effects and EQ and ToneMatch, scenes... Lot to love.

It really is "icing" on the already tasty cake.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification