The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-11-2003, 08:25 AM
Bit Flipper

Cool Our first open mics

A friend, Sean, and I have been rehearsing twice a month for several months, and Tuesday night we attempted our first open mic.

It was a biker bar of all places, but the modestly sized crowd was receptive. I didn't like the mix at all, but in an open mic environment I don't think one can stand around asking them to tweak the sound forever. Be thankful for the chance, I figure, and just play.

Anyway, that went all right. Then last night we hit another spot, a local restaurant/bar that was much more conducive to an acoustic duo. We did Ventura Highway, I Am Superman and Fall on Me (both R.E.M.), Sultans of Swing, and Melissa.

My favorite part of the night, though, was a 70-something gent named John who went on after us. Just him, his Aria dreadnaught, and a bunch of old cowboy songs.

I hope I'm doing that when, God willing, I'm his age.
2003 Taylor 110, "Credo"
2003 Taylor Baby Mahogany, "Lucy"
2005 Washburn C104SCE
Old 09-13-2003, 08:35 AM

Default Re: Our first open mics

Quote:
Originally posted by byKnight
Anyway, that went all right. Then last night we hit another spot, a local restaurant/bar that was much more conducive to an acoustic duo. We did Ventura Highway, I Am Superman and Fall on Me (both R.E.M.), Sultans of Swing, and Melissa.
I'd be really interested in hearing your acoustic version of "Sultans of Swing". Nail Knopfler's rifs and solos on a Strat when playing electric can be a challenge.

2001 Collings CJ-A mahogany
2010 Taylor GS Mini
1995 Taylor GA-WS Ltd
2000 Taylor 512-CEFB (Taylor Custom Shop NAMM-Show)
1999 Taylor 355-12 String
1999 Larrivee Parlour (mahogany)
because of GAS - way too many electrics to list
oh yeah, I almost forgot - an ancient Ovation Balladeer for camping trips.

De Colores!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification