The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-14-2020, 10:58 AM

Default Portable hard drive into A/V receiver?

I've got a large collection of music CDs, acquired over several decades. I'm going to ship them off to a service that will burn them to a hard drive in my choice of format, which will be FLAC. Next step is to figure out the hardware to connect that hard drive to my audio system. I have two separate old school component systems, one very hi fi and one not so much, each with wired connections to two sets of speakers. The lo-fi system only gets occasional use, and could be excluded from the new setup if need be. I'd like to do this in a way that I don't have to replace all that hardware now, but remain flexible to modernize when my existing hardware needs replacing.

Goals are 1) improve accessibility to a large collection without compromising too much on audio quality, 2) get rid of piles and piles and piles of CDs, 3) be positioned to adapt to future changes in the available tech. I see some all-in-one units that would accomplish 1) and 2), but not 3). Brennan B2, for example.

I'd appreciate any suggestions, articles, experiences, etc.

Thanks.
Old 09-14-2020, 11:18 AM

You would need some sort of computer to play the files with your setup.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 09-14-2020, 11:34 AM

I use a Mac for just this reason - their user interface is generally, superior to everything else out there. Their iTunes/Music app has allowed me to keep really excellent control over my music. Streaming services (Pandora, Spotify, etc) are also becoming incredibly convenient and will allow you to access most music easily -- BUT I still like having my own collection of high quality files. I use FLAC or ALAC (Apple's lossless) or try to have no less than 320kbps files.

One of the things I really like about the Apple Music app is that it gets track information and album artwork for you. It also gives you ways to input album information and gives you several ways to view and organize your music collection.

So if you have a Mac - then I'd suggest running everything through their Music app. If you have something different, then I'd suggest trying to find an application that you like that will organize and play your files for you.

Most modern receivers are able to interface with computers via USB, WiFi, or Bluetooth. If you have a decent speaker setup, then buying a more modern receiver might be a good idea - or maybe there is a component you can buy that will interface between your computer and an older system.
Old 09-14-2020, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

I'm a Windows guy so that's my perspective.

Assuming you've got hi speed internet to your home, high quality streaming sites such as Tidal or Qobuz (that stream at CD quality or better) sound as good or better than local FLAC files. You'd simply need a computer with a couple of usb ports (I use a stripped down 4 year old Dell model laptop) and external DAC (Digital to Analog converter) as your front end and plug the DAC (I use an MHDT Orchid) into your audio equipment. You'll have immediate access to millions of tracks, and sound quality will be excellent. CD's stream at 1,411 kbps and much of the music on Tidal and Qobuz stream at higher rates than that.

If you don't have hi speed internet than local FLAC files are the way to go. Take your external drive filled with FLAC files and plug it into one of the usb ports on your computer, then attach the same sort of DAC I mentioned above to a different usb port on the computer and plug the DAC into your audio equipment.

Either way, streaming or local, you'll need a computer and a DAC. Mac or Windows, personal preference. You might want to consider a player such as JRiver media player (https://www.jriver.com/index.html). What do you use for audio equipment (what kind inputs does it have?).

Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Fairbanks F20
Rainsong CO-OM1100NST

Last edited by Steve-arino; 09-14-2020 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-14-2020, 12:39 PM

Seems like all are suggesting a computer interface (whether PC or Apple). I am not crazy about that idea, would prefer more purpose-driven hardware. Maybe it's time to investigate an updated receiver with a USB port and integrated interface.
Old 09-14-2020, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

you might want to visit audiogon.com or https://audiophilestyle.com and look through their forums. You'll find a wealth of information right up your alley.

Fairbanks F20
Rainsong CO-OM1100NST
Old 09-14-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-arino View Post
you might want to visit audiogon.com or https://audiophilestyle.com and look through their forums. You'll find a wealth of information right up your alley.
Wow, who knew that there was so much high-end gear for digital music. Thanks for suggesting that, I would have never known.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:39 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

I have a little bit of experience in this area, which of course is dangerous. I also have all my files in FLAC, and I have them on a Synology 4TB network attached storage drive (NAS.) This is plugged into a network switch, and then I have all the rooms in the house wired with ethernet, so the room in which my stereo sits has a streamer that translates the ethernet data to the DAC, then to the amp, etc. I also use a program called Roon, which is like iTunes on steroids.

So, you likely already have the hard drive picked out. Let's assume you cannot plug your new hard drive directly into the back of your receiver/preamp etc. Some newer AV receivers are Apple Airplay receivers etc but if your stuff is discreet 2 channel audio stuff, it likely doesn't have that. You have to have a way to send the info on the drive to your 2-channel set, and there are several ways to do this. I'm going on the assumption that you will need at least one more piece of hardware to make this work, but it may not be all that expensive.

I think the answer is a Google Chromecast Audio (GCA) puck, used from eBay, and a UPnP program to get the NAS to talk to the GCA. The GCA has a toslink output that would go into any optical input on a preamp.

If your preamp only has RCA inputs, I'll have to think on this one for a little bit. That may involve buying a small Raspberry Pi computer to run as a streamer/DAC.

In any case, I think we can agree you'll need some sort of bridge between the hard drive and your preamp. Can you elaborate a little on your setup and we can go from there? You can always DM or email me as well....
Old 09-16-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
I have a little bit of experience in this area, which of course is dangerous. I also have all my files in FLAC, and I have them on a Synology 4TB network attached storage drive (NAS.) This is plugged into a network switch, and then I have all the rooms in the house wired with ethernet, so the room in which my stereo sits has a streamer that translates the ethernet data to the DAC, then to the amp, etc. I also use a program called Roon, which is like iTunes on steroids.

So, you likely already have the hard drive picked out. Let's assume you cannot plug your new hard drive directly into the back of your receiver/preamp etc. Some newer AV receivers are Apple Airplay receivers etc but if your stuff is discreet 2 channel audio stuff, it likely doesn't have that. You have to have a way to send the info on the drive to your 2-channel set, and there are several ways to do this. I'm going on the assumption that you will need at least one more piece of hardware to make this work, but it may not be all that expensive.

I think the answer is a Google Chromecast Audio (GCA) puck, used from eBay, and a UPnP program to get the NAS to talk to the GCA. The GCA has a toslink output that would go into any optical input on a preamp.

If your preamp only has RCA inputs, I'll have to think on this one for a little bit. That may involve buying a small Raspberry Pi computer to run as a streamer/DAC.

In any case, I think we can agree you'll need some sort of bridge between the hard drive and your preamp. Can you elaborate a little on your setup and we can go from there? You can always DM or email me as well....
Thanks, helpful info. My preamp only has RCA inputs. My current gear is functioning fine, but is old and so its anticipated remaining lifespan is not great. I'm hoping to set something up that will work with the existing gear for now and with the anticipated replacement gear. I'm starting to think there is no way to avoid the computer interface.
Old 09-16-2020, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfa View Post
Thanks, helpful info. My preamp only has RCA inputs. My current gear is functioning fine, but is old and so its anticipated remaining lifespan is not great. I'm hoping to set something up that will work with the existing gear for now and with the anticipated replacement gear. I'm starting to think there is no way to avoid the computer interface.
Well, since the FLACs are on a hard disc, it is true that some sort of computing needs to occur to make this work. But: It does not need to be confusing, cumbersome, or flaky/high-maintenance. What model of hard drive have you picked out?

DM me tonight and I'll get you my email. There is a way to do what you want with minimal expense. I'm just not sure which way to go without getting a little more details.
Old 09-16-2020, 03:34 PM

Another option is to upload your music to Apple cloud. Purchase an amp or receiver with Bluetooth. Then play your music from cellphone to your system using Bluetooth.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
Well, since the FLACs are on a hard disc, it is true that some sort of computing needs to occur to make this work. But: It does not need to be confusing, cumbersome, or flaky/high-maintenance. What model of hard drive have you picked out?

DM me tonight and I'll get you my email. There is a way to do what you want with minimal expense. I'm just not sure which way to go without getting a little more details.
Completely agree with you. And if the OP were to get a computer to run FLAC files and use Roon for UI it is extremely simple and he would not even have to get off his couch to change tunes. I know this to be fact!

I'm also of the opinion that FLAC is no longer necessary to listen to high quality digital audio. Unless there is some sentimental value to those files, Hi Res streaming 96/24 is certainly as good if not better in many cases than CD quality. If the OP is in an area of the world that doesn't have high speed internet, then FLAC remains best.

Nice site btw https://thecluelessaudiophile.com/ ! I'm in an audiophile group around the NYC area. Unfortunately we haven't met since February but we all try to keep in touch via email.

Fairbanks F20
Rainsong CO-OM1100NST
Old 09-17-2020, 09:57 AM

Its mentioned by reference, but that hard drive of FLAC files is just that - a bunch of files. In order to play the songs, you need software to do that, and if many audio 'receivers' now come with software to do that I would be surprised. If they have USB ports, its is usually only to connect other USB devices - sending the audio from your TV or phone to the receiver, for example. I know I have connected a USB drive to a TV via USB, and it could not play MP4 videos, but would open up JPG photo files.

When I got my 2018 Subaru I found out it didnt' come wiht a CD player, but will play audio files from a USB drive. I spent about a month 'ripping' over 450 CDs to MP3 (320K) and loading them onto a USB stick, and only had a handful that didn't convert glitch-free. You don't need to pay a service to do this, easy to do on yhour own, as long as you have the time and patience.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 09-17-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Its mentioned by reference, but that hard drive of FLAC files is just that - a bunch of files. In order to play the songs, you need software to do that, and if many audio 'receivers' now come with software to do that I would be surprised. If they have USB ports, its is usually only to connect other USB devices - sending the audio from your TV or phone to the receiver, for example. I know I have connected a USB drive to a TV via USB, and it could not play MP4 videos, but would open up JPG photo files.

When I got my 2018 Subaru I found out it didnt' come wiht a CD player, but will play audio files from a USB drive. I spent about a month 'ripping' over 450 CDs to MP3 (320K) and loading them onto a USB stick, and only had a handful that didn't convert glitch-free. You don't need to pay a service to do this, easy to do on yhour own, as long as you have the time and patience.
My receiver is about 8 years old and can play audio files if you just insert a usb drive. It's pretty much standard for a while now.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 09-18-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-arino View Post

I'm also of the opinion that FLAC is no longer necessary to listen to high quality digital audio. Unless there is some sentimental value to those files, Hi Res streaming 96/24 is certainly as good if not better in many cases than CD quality. If the OP is in an area of the world that doesn't have high speed internet, then FLAC remains best.

Nice site btw https://thecluelessaudiophile.com/ ! I'm in an audiophile group around the NYC area. Unfortunately we haven't met since February but we all try to keep in touch via email.
100% agree with you on the FLAC thing as well. I just had all these cds sitting around and had to do something with them.

Thanks for the compliment on the site, it's just a little blog, but it's fun

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic