The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-31-2020, 06:30 AM

When I learned Travis style fingerpicking I was taught to anchor my pinky and use my thumb, index and middle fingers for picking. Later when I took up Scruggs style banjo I was taught that anchoring the pinky was the proper method so the transition was pretty seamless. Since then I've seen others be successful in both without a pinky anchor. No right or wrong way.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 08-31-2020, 06:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MThomson View Post
You don't find too many classical guitarists anchoring and it doesn't seem to hold them back. And the likes of Mark Knopfler (and Tommy E) do anchor and it doesn't hold them back either.

My conclusion - do whatever you feel comfortable with and practice until you're good at it.
Hi MT
Hand position and angle of classical is totally different than hand position and angle for fingerstyle guitar.

And classical technical is much more formally/rigidly taught. In fact they state that dropping that finger would be 'wrong'. Actually using classical technique, it would be nearly impossible to have the pinky reach the top of the guitar. The perpendicular position of the plucking hand keeps the pinky over the string-bed.

Steel-string fingerstyle players tend to hold our hand at an oblique angle across the string bed, not perpendicular like classical. And while there certainly are left-knee finger stylers, and a few who hold their hands more perpendicular to the string bed, it is much rarer.

Most finger stylers I've taught over the years do not actually anchor or plant the pinky, but use it more for a place marker to keep their hand located relative to the sound hole. And that is the way I teach it. If a student did put a lot of pressure on the pinky, reducing that force was one of the things we worked on. I've never tried to talk a player who uses their pinky out of using the pinky, nor have I tried to get a student who does-not use their pinky to start using it.

Most of the intermediate and advanced students who came to me for lessons wanted to improve other techniques than the picking technique itself. A player who's dropped his/her pinky for 25 years and plays well doesn't need to overhaul their technique.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-31-2020, 06:50 AM

I usually anchor on single note lines, but only because I've been doing it forever. I wouldn't ever sell it as a necessity, or even something to aspire to. I've seen too many great players who don't do it.

If you like it: good, if you don't like it: good. Whatever floats your boat.

If it sounds good, it is good. (I'm pretty sure that was Ellington)
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 08-31-2020, 07:45 AM

I move my hand around from playing over the fingerboard to right at the bridge. Planting would make that difficult to impossible. We think that because TE plays so well he is right in every thing he says. We as players need to assess what he says in relation to reality. I dont like TE's sound and I dont like him saying you have to plant. TE is a great entertainer, I am not. TE plays Chet style, I do not. TE likes Maton guitars, I do not etc. He is not the end all.
Old 08-31-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
I've never tried to talk a player who uses their pinky out of using the pinky, nor have I tried to get a student who does-not use their pinky to start using it.

Most of the intermediate and advanced students who came to me for lessons wanted to improve other techniques than the picking technique itself. A player who's dropped his/her pinky for 25 years and plays well doesn't need to overhaul their technique.

I believe we're in complete agreement here.
Old 08-31-2020, 08:03 AM

I pinky anchor for finger style, try to float my hand in a light fist for flat picking.
Old 08-31-2020, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Developed my style from 50 years of playing. Never had a guitar lesson. So never had anybody else's technique forced upon me. I play how it feels right to me. Will begin with all five fingers on the strings. But as I'm playing, I will use multiple styles to get what I'm after.
Old 08-31-2020, 08:23 AM

Like others above, I use a flexible approach that means anchored sometimes and sometimes not. For most of my picking years I had anchored the pinky but recently decided that I needed more freedom due to changing technique.

So, now I will anchor on the top for some tunes and float free for others where I need to play in various positions along the strings. And, sometimes I anchor my pinky on the 1st string. Sometimes all the above on the same tune.

Depends on the tune.
Old 08-31-2020, 08:28 AM

On guitar I anchor pinky to keep my picking hand stable and develop accuracy, speed, and confidence, which in turn promotes relaxation for the player. We all know that a player that is totally relaxed with no muscle tension does a much better job than the player with a cramped hand and tensed up shoulders. The relaxed person is the player who’s hands seem to glide effortlessly over the fretboard and strings.

I also play Bluegrass banjo which involves the Picking hand Executing banjo rolls of all nature played at speed. Most Bluegrass pickers anchor pinky AND ring finger picking with thumb, index, and middle fingers. Some banjo players only use the pinky, but I have not seen a Bluegrasser that does not anchor. It’s necessary because of the steady speed and accuracy required.

In summation; I think anchoring the pinky promotes accuracy, speed, and relaxation, all building confidence in the player.

Blues.
Old 08-31-2020, 08:45 AM

I anchor.

Yep. Me and Tommy.
Old 08-31-2020, 09:00 AM

I started out carefully using three finger picking technique and no anchoring. When I started performing (mostly standing) my technique drifted to anchored pinky for better accuracy. When standing most of the time instead of sitting I needed a more solid reference point to play well and anchored pinky did that.

The downside to anchoring is somewhat less dexterity and fluidity in the ring finger. As my playing and speed got better, I eventually found that ring finger could not keep up with the others -- too many breaks and sprains in my sporting youth -- and I reworked my repertoire to thumb plus two fingers. It is still possible to switch between both styles, but probably 85% of my playing is now two finger with anchoring instead of three fingers floating.
Old 08-31-2020, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Using my thumb and two fingers for finger picking, I have always anchored my pinky.

However, I recently have augmented my technique to include downstroke strumming with my pinky and ring fingers on some songs while contemporaneously continuing to finger pick. Not something I planned, just something I started doing, but it increases the output of the instrument creating the impression of two guitars.

Needless to say, when I do that I don’t anchor.
Old 08-31-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstaight View Post
When picking, either flat or what little finger picking I do I anchor the palm of my hand on the bridge.

No doubt Tommy Emanuel is an excellent player just because he insist on anchoring the pinky doesn't mean it's the correct method. You don't have to anchor your pinky or the palm of your hand. Do what works for you.

The only reason to anchor anything is to maintain a reference point. Pinky or palm, it's up to you.
I also anchor my palm on the bridge. A guitar teacher Tried to correct that behavior to no avail. It’s natural for me.
Old 08-31-2020, 09:39 AM

I like David Grier's take on technique- Some people plant a pinky, Some plant their hand on the bridge, some do not plant. Some folks crosspick alternating, some do down down up, some just do what is comfortable. There is no perfect technique, just what works for you to make the music you want to make.

Rough quote from hearing him talk a few yrs back
Old 08-31-2020, 11:21 AM

As many others here, I would say it depends on what you play.
My teacher told me it used to be taught, but isn't anymore.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write