The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-30-2020, 10:26 AM

Default Which fingerstylists should I be copying on Youtube?

Hi,

I'm taking the advice of many of the great ones who say to just play the songs we like and emulate musicians who we admire.

There are many fingerstylists (that's what I'm into) on youtube, but many of them one would not want to actually emulate, either technically or musically. Subscriber count doesn't always correlate either.

Who are some legitimately good fingerstylists on youtube who one could learn alot from by copying, AND what aspects of their playing should I be taking note of from each person?

For example, Daniel Padim has like 30K subscribers and he may well be the finest fingerstylist alive today. I see his stuff and just go, never in five lifetimes, but what could I learn from him?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJg...33TYzGlMxtXNcA

Sungha deservedly has 6 million followers, but I struggle with what to learn from him as he just seems not human to me. What are the best parts of his "game" that we mortals can incorporate?

Last edited by Lamenramen; 08-30-2020 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-30-2020, 11:20 AM

The two guitarists you named have pretty highly developed playing styles. Unless you already play well, you should start with older, simpler stuff that you enjoy listening to, and then judge your own playing honestly. Subscriber count should have nothing to do with your choice of who to copy. If you want recommendations, you should tell us what style(s) you want to play.
Old 08-30-2020, 11:54 AM

Lindsey Buckingham, Billy Strings,

Start small, and strive for bigness

The OP doesn't mention genre of music he is interested, that makes a slight difference who you want to emulate.

MGF
Old 08-30-2020, 11:58 AM

Default Billy Strings doing Bob Dylan

MGF
Old 08-30-2020, 11:59 AM

Here's a selection of past masters in various styles, just to give an idea:

Classical:
Andres Segovia
Julian Bream
John Williams

Flamenco
Paco de Lucia
Paco Pena

US country
Merle Travis
Chet Atkins
Jerry Reed
Doc Watson

US blues
Blind Blake
Mississippi John Hurt
Big Bill Broonzy
Blind Boy Fuller
Rev Gary Davis
Stefan Grossman

UK "folk baroque"
Davy Graham
Bert Jansch
John Renbourn
Nick Drake
Martin Carthy

Steel-string acoustic, miscellaneous
Clive Carroll
John Martyn
Tommy Emmanuel
John Mayer
Duck Baker
Kelly Joe Phelps
Pierre Bensusan
(and the two you mention of course)

Tapping / Percussive guitar
Michael Hedges
Jon Gomm
Erik Mongrain

There are countless more in each category (and the categories themselves are somewhat debatable), but look up a few on youtube to get an idea. Hopefully you'll be drawn to some more than others. Follow threads, links, other recommendations.

The next task is to pick a sample tune you particularly like - ideally one with video as well as audio - and set about learning it note by note. Get some slowdown software to help focus on the audio. Be prepared to work on one tune for weeks, maybe months. You have to love it. Start as slow as you need to.

Of course, you don't have to learn a whole tune, if it's just one aspect that excites you, and your aim is to create your own music. For that, just steal anything you like.

Naturally you can also work on basic fingerstyle exercises - right and left hands - and it's easy enough to find those anywhere online. All right hand exercises make good practice for any style, but obviously if you are drawn in one direction, look for lessons and exercises in that style.

Last edited by JonPR; 08-30-2020 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-30-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamenramen View Post
Hi,

I'm taking the advice of many of the great ones who say to just play the songs we like and emulate musicians who we admire.

There are many fingerstylists (that's what I'm into) on youtube, but many of them one would not want to actually emulate, either technically or musically. Subscriber count doesn't always correlate either.

Who are some legitimately good fingerstylists on youtube who one could learn alot from by copying, AND what aspects of their playing should I be taking note of from each person?

For example, Daniel Padim has like 30K subscribers and he to me looks like he could may well be the finest fingerstylist alive today. I see his stuff and just go, never in five lifetimes, but what could I learn from him?

Sungha deservedly has 6 million followers, but I struggle with what to learn from him as he just seems not human to me. What are the best parts of his "game" that we mortals can incorporate?
What distinguishes acoustic guitar from other instruments is that there are many different ways to interpret and harmonise a melody, as there are many ways to get the box to make a noise, this is what produces the wide range of guitar playing styles, my all time favourite is Nick Jones but I have no idea how to emulate his style, though apparently it is technically easy ,have a listen to Canadee i O.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KlFKwY_YgZ4

Last edited by Andyrondack; 08-30-2020 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-30-2020, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyrondack View Post
What distinguishes acoustic guitar from other instruments is that there are many different ways to interpret and harmonise a melody, as there are many ways to get the box to make a noise, this is what produces the wide range of guitar playing styles, my all time favourite is Nick Jones but I have no idea how to emulate his style, though apparently it is technically easy ,have a listen to Canadee i O.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KlFKwY_YgZ4
Lovely stuff - forgot to put him on my list (UK section)! (Spelled Nic of course).
Tuning: CGCGCD - https://www.gtdb.org/tab/canadee-i-o
Old 08-30-2020, 04:57 PM

Default Zappa Torture Never Stops

MGF
Old 08-30-2020, 05:01 PM

Default Apostrophe

MGF
Old 08-30-2020, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi,

For example, Daniel Padim has like 30K subscribers and he to me looks like he could may well be the finest fingerstylist alive today. I see his stuff and just go, never in five lifetimes, but what could I learn from him?

Copy!!! why copy ? Take influences from sure, we all do that, but copying even if possible, would only make you a poor version of someone else .../. but no-one else could be as good as you at playing like you.

Find your own path!

btw, Billy Strings is playing that piece way too fast - drains all the meaning out of it!
Old 08-30-2020, 05:26 PM

Billy Strings is playing the tempo wrong because it's not the original artist playing.

Play a tune like YOU play it and don't worry about sounding like the original artist.

MGF
Old 08-30-2020, 07:52 PM

Everyone starts off by copying. Everyone. It's how we learn anything from language to music to math to cooking to programming to parenting.

Eventually, once we've internalized everything we've copied such that it feels totally natural (and most people never get there, including me) we are a mix of everyone we have copied, producing our own original style.
Old 09-03-2020, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Everyone starts off by copying. Everyone. It's how we learn anything from language to music to math to cooking to programming to parenting.

Eventually, once we've internalized everything we've copied such that it feels totally natural (and most people never get there, including me) we are a mix of everyone we have copied, producing our own original style.
You must be or have been a music major. In music composition class, my professor said what you said.
Old 09-03-2020, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Copy!!! why copy ? Take influences from sure, we all do that, but copying even if possible, would only make you a poor version of someone else .../. but no-one else could be as good as you at playing like you.

Find your own path!
Thanks, Silly. I was going to say "the guy in the mirror" but you're much more eloquent.

I started finger picking on acoustic a long time ago so I essentially wrote my own book on the subject. There were some practitioners at the time but I did not emulate them. I did it may way and I'm glad I did.
Old 09-04-2020, 03:19 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Hi,

For example, Daniel Padim has like 30K subscribers and he may well be the finest fingerstylist alive today. I see his stuff and just go, never in five lifetimes, but what could I learn from him?

I like Masaaki Kishibe, Stephen Wake, Al Petteway and Simon Fox. One of the things they all do, when playing a slower tempo piece, is to let the notes breath, let them ring out.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write