The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-30-2020, 07:42 AM

The tomatoes are pilling up, so I've been canning some of them.

Also, while it rained last night I pickled some jalapeno peppers for the first time.

Old 08-30-2020, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
Nice harvest Morgan. We have tomatoes coming out of our ears too. My wife has been making and canning peach chutney and relishes. Here is a sample of our load.

Last edited by BrunoBlack; 08-30-2020 at 08:19 AM.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Nice harvest Morgan. We have tomatoes coming out of our ears too. My wife has been making and canning peach chutney and relishes. Here is a sample of our load.
Looks great. Nice variety. Mmmm, peach chutney. There used to be a peach orchard down the road (yup, in Nova Scotia), and sometimes they'd sell a big box of seconds for really cheap. So many peaches you didn't know what to do with them.

Are those tomatillos on the left? I used to grow those and make green salsa, but not so much anymore. Do you have peach and apple trees on your property? Is that 2 different varieties of peaches? Here there are old cherry, apple, and plum trees, which I used to think I would restore, but I never have. They're a bit of work, and I don't want to use pesticides which makes it harder.

Lots of tomatoes, beans, and cukes here, although the plants are dying back fast. It was quite dry in August.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Looks great. Nice variety. Mmmm, peach chutney. There used to be a peach orchard down the road (yup, in Nova Scotia), and sometimes they'd sell a big box of seconds for really cheap. So many peaches you didn't know what to do with them.

Are those tomatillos on the left? I used to grow those and make green salsa, but not so much anymore. Do you have peach and apple trees on your property? Is that 2 different varieties of peaches? Here there are old cherry, apple, and plum trees, which I used to think I would restore, but I never have. They're a bit of work, and I don't want to use pesticides which makes it harder.

Lots of tomatoes, beans, and cukes here, although the plants are dying back fast. It was quite dry in August.
Yes, tomatillos will become green salsa, but we need to pick more. We have a few fruit trees. We don’t do very well with apples because trees are still fairly young. We picked a few apples at the University farm. Ours are not ready yet. Those are different varieties of peaches, but I couldn’t tell you what they are. We put netting over the trees, but they still get beat up by squirrels mostly. We don’t use pesticides, and we pay the price in output. We haven’t done cherries or plums at this house. Looks like we share interests
Old 08-30-2020, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Here it's Chinook season, and I've got 14 pints so far in the pantry. 38 to go for my annual harvest.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor814 View Post
It really means to process in a jar with heat. For example, you add hot jam to a jar that has been boiled, and then covered with a lid held on with a screw-on cap. As the jar cools, the lid "seals" as a partial vacuum is created between the top of the product and the lid. I'm sure this exists in the UK, but just with a different name?
Thank you - Here in old fashioned UK canning means to put something in a can - y'know like Heinz baked beans or soup etc.,
Strangely when we put stuff in glass jars (called kilner jars here) the process is called bottling! (equally daft) .

I don't bottle stuff, apart from beetroot thus far, I usually just put portions of veg in our two freezers.

Keep on bottling! - er, I mean canning!
Old 08-30-2020, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

I'm stil picking blackberries and freezing bags of them... looking at possibly the LAST picking today... sigh... love fresh blackberries!

Soon, the Italian plum tree in the front yard will be going off, so I'll wash and dry them, halve them and dry them in my oven (no food dehydrator). Last year I only got a couple of smaller ziploc bags full in the freezer, and they were great! Hoping to have much more this year.

I love it when the Autumn "snap" is in the air, late nights and early mornings... Fall is on the way... but, apparently, we're gonna have a few 90 degree days coming up soon... early Indian Summer!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 08-30-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:

Also, while it rained last night I pickled some jalapeno peppers for the first time.

That's it, I'm moving to NS, my veggies never turn out like that. Beautiful!
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 08-30-2020, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty bradbury View Post
That's it, I'm moving to NS, my veggies never turn out like that. Beautiful!
Hi Marty, this year was a good year, the spring had good weather and enough rain, no late frost, and I weeded a lot. Maybe I'll post a picture of my weed pile, I'm quite proud of it. It's about the size of an suv.

Tomatoes, beans, turnips, blueberries, and numerous other things grow really well here. But other crops are a real problem for me, either because of pests, not the right climate, or other issues. I've given up on a lot of those. But tomatoes are a favorite of mine, I think I grew 8 different varieties this year. I pruned out all the suckers which helped the yields. They're turning brown and dying back really fast now, but there are still a ton of tomatoes hanging there to ripen.

I somewhat envy the Washington climate, although I don't know it so well.

But we can always use fine people such as yourself in Nova Scotia!
Old 08-31-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
What are you canning!
Laughter........
Old 09-01-2020, 02:56 PM

Thumbs up

This brings back a lot of wonderful childhood memories for me. Most everything we ate came from our garden and the surrounding briar patches. We also raised all of our own meat so there was the butchering to do as well.

As a kid it all seemed like a lot of work, which it was, but now 50 plus years later just to think of it brings a smile to my face.
Old 09-01-2020, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
Laughter........
Ha! And worms and spring-coiled snakes. They don't can as much laughter as they used to.
Old 09-01-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
They don't can as much laughter as they used to.
Maybe that's part of the problem with today's world?
Old 09-01-2020, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
Maybe that's part of the problem with today's world?
Old 09-01-2020, 11:24 PM

That was pretty wild!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic