The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-25-2020, 05:00 PM

Default SMART amp/apps

Hello: Does anyone use SMART amps (i.e. Positive Grid SPARK40) or apps that provide the TABS for songs? Of course the original method would be to learn to read sheet music and then learn to play. I just thought maybe I could hear the pros and cons to the use of the SMART tools.

Thanks

Last edited by DHosinski; 05-26-2020 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Editing Positive Grid
Old 05-25-2020, 05:37 PM

I use smart tools all the time. JamUp Pro linked with Bias Amp. Keep those in the background while I play along a tab from Songsterr plus.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
I use smart tools all the time. JamUp Pro linked with Bias Amp. Keep those in the background while I play along a tab from Songsterr plus.
Hello! The JamUp Pro and Bias Amp are both from Positive Grid. Is that correct? The SPARK40 has an app that it uses for the libraries if I’m not mistaken. I’m trying to get ideas. I’ve tried to message Positive Grid and they don’t respond at all. Doesn’t make me feel too confident that in the event that I had an issue, they would be there to help me.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHosinski View Post
Hello! The JamUp Pro and Bias Amp are both from Positive Grid. Is that correct? The SPARK40 has an app that it uses for the libraries if I’m not mistaken. I’m trying to get ideas. I’ve tried to message Positive Grid and they don’t respond at all. Doesn’t make me feel too confident that in the event that I had an issue, they would be there to help me.

Yes they are from positive grid. Their smart amp has been a hell of an issue for them. Many pre-ordered as far as last November and were promised by February, most are still waiting for their amp. When people try to reach them, they don’t respond. Their I device apps are really good and worth the money though.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Yes they are from positive grid. Their smart amp has been a hell of an issue for them. Many pre-ordered as far as last November and were promised by February, most are still waiting for their amp. When people try to reach them, they don’t respond. Their I device apps are really good and worth the money though.
Yeah, almost jumped on the early bird band wagon for one, glad i didn't. That kind of CS would anger me. The review for them on Youtube seem overwhelmingly positive though.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 05-28-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Yeah, almost jumped on the early bird band wagon for one, glad i didn't. That kind of CS would anger me. The review for them on Youtube seem overwhelmingly positive though.
Positive as long as you received one. I think the negatives outweigh the positive.
I'd still like to have the same options. I could start with a decent amp so I'm happy with the sound, but obviously it would require bluetooth or some streaming capability. I'm taking lessons but I'd like to get into reading the tabs and understanding how to piece together the music. I think this would be a great alternative. The Positive Grid people are making me want to run away from them. If I can't message them and get hold of them, how would I be able to feel confident that they would help if I had problems.
Old 07-03-2020, 03:36 PM

Quote:
I hope you don't mind my asking. Does the JamUp app have any features that allow you to see the tabs? I read that you can save a tune from iTunes and the app will allow you to slow it down to help you learn how to play it.

Thanks
Old 07-03-2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHosinski View Post
I hope you don't mind my asking. Does the JamUp app have any features that allow you to see the tabs? I read that you can save a tune from iTunes and the app will allow you to slow it down to help you learn how to play it.

Thanks

No tabs on JamUp, but you can import a song and slow it down or change the pitch. The problem is that you must own the song, if the song is DRM protected (like downloaded from Apple Music) it won’t let you import it. This is true with just about any jam style app that lets you manipulate a track to jam with it.
Old 07-03-2020, 04:07 PM

Quick JamUp Pro demo.

https://youtu.be/4cKlLuI9PoM

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write