The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-29-2019, 04:43 AM

Default How to find relevance as an older musician?

How do we find relevance as an older musician? How do we avoid becoming just a silly old fart. What motivates you? That you have fun yourself (nothing wrong with that)?
Spreading joy to others? If so have you choosen music deliberately in line with that? Spreading a certain kind of music?
Any thoughts on what I'm after...even if I can't formulate it myself.

I'm not talking about famous people. People will alway want to here them play there old songs.

But for the rest of us that is god or ok musicians and does what so many others are doing?

I been thinking of this lately because I feel I need to sharpen my profile.

Any thought's?
Old 08-29-2019, 04:59 AM

I am primarily an electric/rock musician, and ageism is definitely a thing.

I kinda figured that age is less a factor in the world of traditional/acoustic music; is that not so?
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 08-29-2019, 05:10 AM

I think you have to play music that you like otherwise you will lose interest altogether. After that find an audience that appreciates your kind of music, whatever that happens to be. Trying to please other people by playing music you cannot appreciate or relate to is the road to misery in my opinion.

I play and sing a lot of old swing tunes from the 40's and 50's and it's amazing how well they are received. Older people remember them from their youth and lots of young people find them fascinating because they are so different from today's pop music.
Old 08-29-2019, 05:14 AM

I’ve been playing for over five decades now. I play for the love of making music so its relevancy is primarily internal. I still perform and it’s great whenever others enjoy my playing and find it relevant to them as well, but I’d still play if my dog was my only audience.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 08-29-2019, 05:21 AM

I used to worry about finding myself playing in a 'dad band'. I blinked and I am now playing bass in a grandpa country band. I try to stay age-appropriate but mostly I just like to play.
Old 08-29-2019, 05:26 AM
Charter Member

Play the music you enjoy, don’t try to be something you’re not (i.e. young), and don’t worry about trying to be relevant...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 08-29-2019, 05:26 AM

I'm in my upper 50's and the only playing out I do is at church (praise band and other opportunities as well). I teach guitar classes one evening per week for anyone in our church that wants to learn to play. That evening makes for a full day! I've found teaching to be a lot of fun. It keeps me engaged with others, keeps me up with the music they're listening to (mostly contemporary Christian), and gives me the satisfaction of seeing them progress along their musical journey. One thing they all look forward to is what I call our "coffee house" event. They can invite their family and friends to hear them perform. Gives them an opportunity to perform for an audience, and a goal to work towards.
Ovation CS257 Celebrity Deluxe
Epiphone PR-350
Kramer 450G
Gretsch G2622
Old 08-29-2019, 05:34 AM

By playing music that's older than I am (ragtime and fingerstyle blues), people don't seem to notice so much that I'm an old man. On the other hand, I think if I tried to do a Taylor Swift cover the audience would probably consider my attempt to be the artistic equivalent of a musical comb-over.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 08-29-2019, 05:42 AM
Charter Member

I always felt uneasy trying to remain "relevant." I love 60s psychedelia and 70s power pop and for a long while I thought I was alone in that regard. I found out that I wasn't. Shortly after this discovery, I quit the festival band I was in and swore to myself to never, ever play "Mustang Sally" or "Sweet Home Alabama" again. I've kept to that promise, even though I've had offers when I was without a gig.

Whatever your musical interests are, believe that there are others out there who share your love for a certain kind of music. Find those audiences (not always an easy thing, I know) and stay true to your passion.
2010 Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster
1974 Rickenbacker 4001 Bass
Old 08-29-2019, 05:46 AM
Charter Member

The music is ageless. We however are not. I say just enjoy what you do everyday and be grateful for the opportunities that come along.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 08-29-2019, 05:50 AM
Charter Member

'' How do we avoid becoming just a silly old fart''

You are an old fart. The silliness is trying to deny it. Once you embrace it, life is so great that I just wish it didn't take so long to get here!
Old 08-29-2019, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
On the other hand, I think if I tried to do a Taylor Swift cover the audience would probably consider my attempt to be the artistic equivalent of a musical comb-over.
Hilarious and true

Another vote for do what you love and don't worry about the rest
Old 08-29-2019, 05:53 AM

Many on this board are older and retired. We took an age survey once, I think 50's-70's was a core age group. WE all do different things. Some play at home or with friends, some play at church, some do open mics, etc. I'm retired and live in a large retirement-resort area and it's been good to find others with similar interests. https://www.reverbnation.com/artist/...rs?kick=238949
Old 08-29-2019, 05:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
By playing music that's older than I am (ragtime and fingerstyle blues), people don't seem to notice so much that I'm an old man. On the other hand, I think if I tried to do a Taylor Swift cover the audience would probably consider my attempt to be the artistic equivalent of a musical comb-over.
Yeah...that is funny!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 08-29-2019, 05:59 AM

Musical relevance is usually a young person's game. I'm 40 with kids and a job. Most local bands won't give me the time of day because they still plan on making it big. Lame dads rarely make it big.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion