The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-13-2016, 11:47 AM
AGF Sponsor

David,
The guitar and your playing sound great, no need to apologize. Man, I think you built a high quality instrument in sound and looks. I hope my first one sounds as good. Good luck, and I don't think you will have trouble selling this one if you choose. I could tell it has very nice sustain there at the end of the recording. Good luck.
Clifford
Old 12-13-2016, 05:33 PM

That sounded really nice. I think you can be really proud of what you've built there. My advice would be DON'T SELL IT. You put your soul into building it, you should keep it. I know I'd regret selling the first guitar I built.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:33 PM

Sounds bloody fantastic for a "cardboard box". DON'T sell it.....give it to meeee!

Seriously, it is not only a beautiful instrument, it sounds great, too. How does it play? Are you happy with the feel? Given that this is your first attempt, hang on to it, build another one and sell that!!!!
Old 12-14-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhainz View Post
That sounded really nice. I think you can be really proud of what you've built there. My advice would be DON'T SELL IT. You put your soul into building it, you should keep it. I know I'd regret selling the first guitar I built.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSemmens View Post
Sounds bloody fantastic for a "cardboard box". DON'T sell it.....give it to meeee!

Seriously, it is not only a beautiful instrument, it sounds great, too. How does it play? Are you happy with the feel? Given that this is your first attempt, hang on to it, build another one and sell that!!!!
Thanks guys for the positive words!!
Despite what both of you are trying to say, the selling issue isn't as big as it could be as from the beginning it was always about 50/50 that it would be for myself or be built specifically for a friend. Unfortunately they can't afford it even at break even money for me. I'd love to keep it as it sounds good and its the kind of guitar I like, but as I am currently unemployed and broke and still owe for the workshop hours and the lacquering, it basically has to be sold. I'd be quite happy to sell it to a friend or relative (thats the route i'm heading down at the moment and its looking positive but nothing concrete yet) but if that comes to nothing i'd begrudgingly sell it to someone I don't know. If it ends up with a friend or relative its easier to me to see it again, or borrow it back should I need it for some reason.

As far as how it plays, it plays great, i'd even go so far as to say its more comfortable (or at least as comfortable) to play as my strat. The neck is 2mm wider than 'typical' but you only have to play 2 chords and you realise it may be wider, but its still perfectly playable and after another 2 you don't even notice it. The short scale (24.9") and the fact that its 12 fret give the illusion that is wider than it is.
The setup took me quite a while, its my first "from scratch" setup on an acoustic and its not quite the same as tweaking an existing guitar. From the bass guitar I also built previously I learnt how important the fretwork was/is and I learned that because I had to do it twice! This time round it still took a while to get it exact but I knew what was required to get there and now have most of the tools myself to get that done without real problems.
Old 12-14-2016, 03:00 PM

Looks and sounds great. Looking forward to the next one.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:23 PM

Rather than sell your pride and joy, what about selling one of your other "commercial" guitars, like the strat that you just mentioned. You can always get another one of those when your finances improve.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:31 AM

That's an amazingly good first guitar congratulations. Amazingly good any number guitar for that matter...

Now... What's on board for your second one?
Old 12-18-2016, 08:18 PM

Some guys hand out compliments just to be nice and encouraging and all that. I'm not one of those guys. This guitar sounds really good to me. You should be proud of it.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:46 AM

Congrats on following this though and crafting a fine instrument. You really stuck with with it, where a lot have people would have given up, especially facing some of the bumps in the road that you ran into!!! Well done!
Old 12-19-2016, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Congrats on following this though and crafting a fine instrument. You really stuck with with it, where a lot have people would have given up, especially facing some of the bumps in the road that you ran into!!! Well done!
Thanks Rockabilly! I nearly didn't stick with it. If I had something else to do, I might not have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoeguitar View Post
Some guys hand out compliments just to be nice and encouraging and all that. I'm not one of those guys. This guitar sounds really good to me. You should be proud of it.
Thanks very much Larry! The more i've played it the better it sounds, apart from the fact I now need new strings, the first set is dead already, remembering why I never use d'addarios any more. I have a set of Curt Mangan strings that i'll switch to shortly, but i've never used them before so I have no idea what to expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
That's an amazingly good first guitar congratulations. Amazingly good any number guitar for that matter...

Now... What's on board for your second one?
Thanks very much!
Well, number 2 will come, it just depends on how/when/if I can get enough cash together to make it.
I have several ideas, if its a guitar for myself (then it might be the summer before I can acquire what I need), I want to build a pair of 'thinline' acoustic twins, one steel-string and one nylon-string probably redwood topped, possibly birdseye maple fretboards and bridges, both with offset, upper bout located soundholes. I've already drawn up bracing patterns and shapes in CAD for those.

If I can find a friend/someone/anyone who wants me to build them an acoustic guitar, I will happily do so and then I may be able to start the next one earlier/sooner, although in that case the chances are high that it will be a 14fret OM shaped non-cutaway. I had 2 people play mine who said the 12 fret-ness of it was too strange, not an opinion I understand, but anyway. I'd quite like to build a maple one as the same local swiss wood supplier that has the moon spruce tops also sells nice maple and cherry sets along with the walnut I already used. I'd be happy to use walnut again though as its easy to work with, sounds good and looks good too.

One thing about this guitar is that it has a VERY warm tone, I can't decide how much of that is attributed to the walnut back and sides, the fact the strings have gone off so quickly, the body shape (having the slightly wider lower bout and squared off bottom end) or the way its braced. I'm sure its all of the above but how much of it is down to what would be good to know, especially if I do end up building a maple guitar next.

Thanks again all

David
Old 12-19-2016, 07:48 AM

And so your journey begins

About 55 guitars over the last 25 years and I am still asking a lot of the same questions. One of my favorite luthier quotes which I think is attributed to Alan Carruth is, "this isn't rocket science, it's harder."

But it's also a lot of fun and very rewarding.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:35 PM

David, congratulations! It is a great feeling getting no. 1 done. Sounds pretty good already... hope you get to do more!
Old 12-19-2016, 03:08 PM

Default Reason number #22 this forum is amazing!

So as you may have read, I have been considering selling this guitar despite only just finishing it and it being my first acoustic due to a lack of funds where I still owe the workshop for construction hours and still owing for the lacquering job.

Several of you have already made the point that I shouldn't sell it.

I've had huge amounts of help on here from basic building help to advanced building help and problem solving to solid encouragement but now I can add another way.
Due to the incredibly amazing generosity of one of the members of this forum (who wishes to remain anonymous), I received a donation towards these payments in order to allow me to keep my #1 acoustic and towards keeping on with guitar building in the future!!!!

The donation doesn't cover all I still owe on the project, but after this gesture its going to be much harder for me to sell the guitar now.

Huge thanks to you all (and anonymous) again!! AGF rocks!

David
Old 12-19-2016, 04:34 PM

Agf IS cool! Thanks for sharing the story of generosity. I made #1 for my brother and made him pay for $300 in material costs. So I did not have your dilemma. I do think it's kind of cool to say goodbye to them too. Either way. I

Nice build!

Sam
Old 12-23-2016, 06:08 PM

Default Yep, this forum is truly awesome!!

I've been completely rushed off my feet the last few days and haven't had much time to post this, but I'd just like to say that due to further anonymous donors I no longer need to sell the guitar and i can now really call it 'my guitar'

AGF incredibleness strikes again!
Many MANY extra thanks to those that helped me out, it will not be forgotten!!

Now I just need to save up for more tools, more materials and then at some point I can try and start the process all over again...! (hopefully with a confirmed home, either with myself or with someone else sorted out officially before the end of the build)

Hope you all enjoy Christmas

David

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair