The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-28-2013, 03:08 AM

Default Video recorders similar to Zoom Q3HD. What are my options? (audio input jack needed)

Well, i ve had the Sanyo Xacti camera for a while now, but i m looking to replace it with a camera that has a built in audio stereo input jack. I m only using it to record stuff for youtube, and having the audio recorded direct would be so much more practical and fast. I m not particularly fussy about the video quality, i reckon every full-hd capable camera will be good enough for guitar stuff on youtube. Its just not worth the hassle for me to record the sound separately then mix, or edit etc..

Here s how the Xacti's mic records say my classical guitar. Its not that bad, but even a cheap external mic is better.

http://youtu.be/v9wlEJMsVm0

So i haven' kept up with whats available today for affordable cameras with a stereo audio input jack (and decent sound treatment ). One unit i see is the Zoom Q3HD. Are there any other similar options?
Old 07-28-2013, 06:27 AM

I started using a canonHDM41 with a shotgun Rode mic, I think it records guitar pretty good without equalizer adjustments on ladder braced guitars. Picks up the character of the guitar to my earhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5GpjGhoBzo

With this canon though I needed a shoe adapter for the shotgun mike - don't know if this of help - my apologies if not.

I went through youtube and picked videos that I liked the sound of and then tried to design my recording "system" along those lines.

Last edited by slide496; 07-28-2013 at 06:35 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter View Post
Well, i ve had the Sanyo Xacti camera for a while now, but i m looking to replace it with a camera that has a built in audio stereo input jack. I m only using it to record stuff for youtube, and having the audio recorded direct would be so much more practical and fast. I m not particularly fussy about the video quality, i reckon every full-hd capable camera will be good enough for guitar stuff on youtube. Its just not worth the hassle for me to record the sound separately then mix, or edit etc..

Here s how the Xacti's mic records say my classical guitar. Its not that bad, but even a cheap external mic is better.

http://youtu.be/v9wlEJMsVm0

So i haven' kept up with whats available today for affordable cameras with a stereo audio input jack (and decent sound treatment ). One unit i see is the Zoom Q3HD. Are there any other similar options?
I just answered your post on The Gear Page. I wonder how many of us visit both places. I failed to compliment your clip over there - nice playing and pretty decent sound quality, you did a nice job of placing the camera for the audio.

One of the big trends in video has been HD video in still cameras, and some of those include mic inputs. Unfortunately those with mic inputs tend to be higher priced units on both the camcorder and still camera side. I've been somewhat impressed with the audio on my Panasonic Lumix GH3 when using external mics, but that's a pretty solid chunk of change.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 07-29-2013, 02:39 AM

Thanks for all the help and the kind words. There don't seem to be many options available, so probably you have to record audio and video separately, or move up your price range! Well,
Old 07-29-2013, 06:05 AM

Any reason why you are not considering the Q3HD?
Old 07-29-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcunplugged View Post
Any reason why you are not considering the Q3HD?
-my thoughts exactly-I've used one for months now, easy as hell to use, got a stereo input jack, its external mikes are phenomenal, takes an SD card, the quality of sound (and video) is second to none-I think it is one of the best recorders I have ever used,-do yourself a favour,-get one!
Old 07-29-2013, 03:19 PM

I have over a hundred videos on my channel and most of them were taken with the Q3HD, ranging from live concert footage to intimate living room guitar videos. I'm strictly amateur and always focus more on the sound than the video. I really do wish I had better video capability but my budget doesn’t allow that at this point.

Here are a few examples of how I’ve used it in some different situations:

Live jam

Live on the street

Intimate living room

Live solo performance (amplified)

Live band performance (amplified)
"Out of all the sincere and well-intentioned attempts of politics, diplomacy, philosophy, religion, and education to get people to be peaceable together, ironically today, the last thing on earth that all seven billion of us agree on is that we like the steel string guitar." -Dan Crary
Old 09-09-2013, 09:20 PM

sr, double post
Old 09-09-2013, 09:22 PM

so i finally bought a Q3hd.. i see it might have some sync problems when recording using the line in mode?? at least that's what youtube told me when i uploaded this video..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZAs...yFp3Lx&index=3

but it doesn't seem that badly out of sync.. i ll record some more (using mics and a zoom H1 i have) and also just the q3hd for comparison

thanks everybody for the help
Old 09-10-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter View Post
so i finally bought a Q3hd.. i see it might have some sync problems when recording using the line in mode?? at least that's what youtube told me when i uploaded this video..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZAs...yFp3Lx&index=3

but it doesn't seem that badly out of sync.. i ll record some more (using mics and a zoom H1 i have) and also just the q3hd for comparison

thanks everybody for the help
That message doesn't _really_ mean your audio is out of sync, it just means that the YT bot spotted something it finds unusual. I get that message with all my uploads and never have sync issues.

You've probably thought of this, but you can use the H1 as a powered preamped mic for your Q3HD by connecting the headphone output to your Q audio input.

I love your playing in this clip, and I'm also impressed with your arrangement of the Q3HD, the light, and yourself to get the best audio and an interesting video.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD