The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-09-2019, 06:41 AM

Bill, sometimes it just takes a new compadre to stoke up the fires again.

I've found that project based groups are a good way to go. For example, I'm part of a Western Swing/HonkyTonk band that we started five years ago. We have a once a month regular gig in a pub, and we've grown a large and loyal following.

The nice thing about taking a project based approach is that I can have a variety of musical associations with different musicians. Keeps things fresh.

As far as finding folks to play with, checkout jams, local mic's etc. It's often easier to tell if you might or might not enjoy playing with someone when you see them in action.

'You don't stop playing music when you get old...you get old when you stop playing music'
Old 06-09-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
You said that when you posted your Craigslist ad, you didn't find any pickers your age, and I immediately thought, "Why do they have to be your age?"
This is an important point.

Country music, like jazz, has a rich heritage that its players are expected to know and respect. It's an inter-generational music, unlike pop or rock, where older players are usually forced to play with other older players because the younger musicians don't want to play with them. Traditional country music brings together musicians of all ages.

And don't stop maintaining your chops; what if the right situation comes along but you're out of shape and can't hang?
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 06-09-2019, 07:40 AM

Hey Bill. Very interesting because I am the complete opposite.

I thoroughly enjoy the special quietness and simplicity of playing alone. Enjoying the tone and special nuances of each of my guitars. Playing them in different rooms or outside....especially late at night softly on my back patio or front porch. Listening while looking at the moon. Without the chatter and distractions of other people and their guitars.

Give that a try for a while until some people come along. Get reacquainted with your guitars again.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post

I thoroughly enjoy the special quietness and simplicity of playing alone. Enjoying the tone and special nuances of each of my guitars. Playing them in different rooms or outside....especially late at night softly on my back patio or front porch. Listening while looking at the moon. Without the chatter and distractions of other people and their guitars.

Give that a try for a while until some people come along. Get reacquainted with your guitars again.
Yep, and consider trying something new (solo fingerstyle?).
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 06-10-2019, 09:23 PM

No, do not sell your gear. As others have suggested, take a short break. Just as soon as you get rid of your gear, the urge will strike and you will find yourself with no gear to scratch that itch.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post

^^THIS. Why does it have to be for anyone BUT yourself anyway?
Old 06-11-2019, 09:58 AM

I guess I can relate a bit. You're in transition. Don't give it up, you've been at it too long, you know you will regret it if you do.

Just to give another perspective.. What's changed the most drastically for me is the desire to not have to deal with the drama and the baggage from playing with others.

Add to the top of this, incompatible visions, and egos, basically people not being on the same page. It's a lot of effort for not a lot of dough. The money just isn't there any more, not like it once was

Not that I ever played/performed for the money, but as I just passed my 62nd spin around the sun, I don't have a lot of patience to work the hours needed for 100 bucks a gig. Nope! No thanks.

The people I am most comfortable working with tend to leave all the details to guys who refuse to ignore them, meaning, one guy does most of the work, and the others grab their take and go home. That guy sweating these details is usually me.

The transition for me was to do something I never envisioned myself doing. Solo work. Once I figured out where my wheel house was material wise I found it's a lot less hassle and over all, pretty easy.

and then there is this, which resonates perfectly with me:
"Why does it have to be for anyone BUT yourself anyway?"
Old 06-26-2019, 09:12 PM

Why does it have to be someone around your age? Open it up to others and you may find them.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
Why does it have to be someone around your age? Open it up to others and you may find them.
I get the age thing. While it would be great to find a common ground, it is not so likely as most forms of music have taken some pretty hard turns with younger generations. In some cases, to the point of having lost a lot of musicality.

Boomers grew up with a tremendous amount of and diversity of good music forming their musical tastes. That is not much the case anymore.

Also, I have experienced a great amount of cliqueishness with younger musicians. Maybe the OP has as well.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

There are few things more therapeutic than playing guitar. You have the guitar. Let it sit for a bit if needed, but don't give up completely. That would be a decision I think you would regret!
Old 06-27-2019, 08:20 AM

I'm not the kind of person to rely on for advice, and you've gotten a number of possible ideas already. I'll throw out one more, not because it may be any better, but because it's something else, though akin to the backing tracks idea.

First off, I think I know how you're feeling somewhat. I dearly enjoyed playing with others. Like you, age-related maladies, death, and moved away has reduced opportunities. To top it off, arthritis has reduced my ability to execute things, some days worse than others. And as I've gotten older, my hesitancy to reach out and establish friendships with others and the energy needed to do that seems to have withered. I'd like to think I can change that last part, but so far I haven't made much progress.

At the same time, I have as much or more interest and focus on playing, composing, and trying new things as ever. I still treasure time playing with one old friend when we can, but in-between I do a lot of "one-man-band" recording. I don't worry if it's worse or better than playing with others, though it is a different experience. What's most important is that it's available, and I have flexibility working with the arthritis. If you can comp the changes, play lead and fills, and sing you're already up to a duo traditional band. Ever thought about learning banjo, Dobro, mandolin, bass? Or maybe you have already at least fooled around with one or more of these?

I'll repeat, I don't worry too much about if it's better or worse that playing with friends or in a real band. I does exercise some new skills that jamming doesn't always bring out (just as jamming does, vice-versa). You start to consider what makes a good arrangement*, why simple parts are often the best parts, what extensions of your skills to fill things out can teach you about music.

Also "one-man-band" experience doesn't preclude playing with others. It can add to versatility and skills to bring to that.

Just an idea for someone who doesn't like to play solo guitar....

*Some kinds of jamming teaches something about that too, but not all or perhaps most jams. Similarly, so does playing in bands, but the advantage of a one-man-band is that there are no others interacting with it, which is also good and bad--but to concentrate on the good: you are never stepping on someone else ego when decide a different part might work better, and you can fail at trying something as often as you wish without wasting someone else's time or exposing your weaknesses in an embarrassing way.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

Last edited by FrankHudson; 06-28-2019 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Typo, though "One Man Bad" might make a heck of a performing brand
Old 06-27-2019, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Each time I read the title of this thread - At a crossroad with playing guitar - I think of how Robert Johnson was said to have overcome that situation....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2021 at 07:08 AM.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill1962 View Post
Howdy everyone, like the title said. At a crossroad with playing guitar and not sure which road I will take. I'm 57 and have been playing since I was 13. Has always been a big part of my life and have truely enjoyed the music. Played in bands, did solo gigs, church etc. Within the last few years, everyone that I have had the pleasure of playing with have either gone on to that music stage in heaven, or health has issues have forced them to give it up. So now i find myself with no one to pick with. I live in a small town, and most of the music scene is hard rock or very progressive country that is just not my thing. Im a classic country and bluegrass guy. Have tried posting on craigslist etc to see if I could find any pickers my age. But that hasnt produced any results. I dont like playing by myself.
So for the past year, I think I have only picked up my guitar twice. Usually end up playing 1 song and putting it away.
So I am seriously thinking of selling or giving all my music gear away.

So if anyone else has been at this crossroad what did you do ?

Thanks in advance
Bill
If you belong to Facebook get your cell phone out and do a video of yourself playing one of your old favorites. Join the "Old Guitar Pickers" group and post it. You'll find yourself making a lot of "friends" that way I'm sure. There are a lot of players who do your style of music and you'll fit right in. I'm sure you can ask about getting together in a jam group in your area.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-27-2019, 12:44 PM

Don't quit on us...

These types of posts remind me of someone that posted years ago complaining that they were going to quit because they were tired of playing in groups and didn't want to play solo. They could not find anyone good enough and at their level where they lived. They didn't want to travel a few miles to play with anyone else. They were also going to leave this forum as we were of little use for them. Folks here made tons of suggestions. He always found fault in them or their comments. I wish I could remember who posted and had made a screen shot of his post and the long list of replies.

I'm with the rest. Don't stop playing. Maybe try something out of your comfort zone like Hawaiian slack key or smooth jazz versions of rock songs or blue grass.... rekindle the fire my brother.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 06-27-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill1962 View Post
....I dont like playing by myself....
Then play with yourself - multitrack recording!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic