The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-28-2019, 11:51 PM

Default Warning to rookies regarding Cordoba "How to string" video

I have been playing steel string guitars for over half a century. Recently, I bought a Cordoba Fusion Orchestra, my first nylon string guitar.

I decided to restring this new guitar after playing it a few weeks, and watched a Cordoba video on stringing a nylon guitar. Unfortunately, it was the only one I watched. The Cordoba video shows the tie at the bridge with only one "security" loop on each string. Being new to this, I thought this would be okay. Wrong! While tuning the guitar after restringing it, two of the strings suddenly let go (the knots slipped open). Each whacked the guitar top just below the bridge. Result: one deep scratch and one gouge through the finish into the wood. I was crushed and felt like a fool.

Subsequently I have watched other videos on restringing, and all of them tie with knots that use at least 2 security loops. I also learned that fluorocarbon strings are especially slippery, and high tension strings probably make that worse.

Yes, I know about ball end strings. I just wanted to warn nylon string rookies.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:55 AM

Ouch....sorry to hear about the string damage.

Long ago, someone recommended the John Gilbert stringing method (on the David Schramm website). It's worked perfectly over the years and it eliminates the need for safety loops on the trebles. Much, much easier.

http://www.schrammguitars.com/stringingmethod.html
Old 05-29-2019, 05:56 AM
Charter Member

Also sorry to hear about your mishap and aftermath.
However, could have been a combination of your first time, and a badly done video.
There's nothing wrong with a one loop hold at the bridge, as long as it's done right. It's a lot easier to accomplish (imo) and very secure.
The trick is to give yourself enough slack to work with, so that you can manipulate the string end easily, and, make sure the loop is fastened at the back end of the bridge, close to where the string comes though. That "sweet spot" is also where the tie will exert the least amount of pull force on the bridge.

If the single loop is anywhere on top as you start tightening, it will slip.

At the other end, where the tuners are, you don't need as much string length as what people usually give themselves, so give yourself enough at the bridge so that you're not trying to work with an overly taut string end.

I suppose, like anything, you'll get better with practice, but don't give up on the one loop hold jut yet!

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 05-29-2019, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

I learned a similar lesson many years ago (long before Cordoba even existed), and wacked a very deep hole behind the bridge. Ever since, I always use at least two wraps on the trebles (usually three on the E string). I don't loop the wound bass strings though, and have never had one let go.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:22 PM

I think that the Cordoba method works great for Nylon trebles. But if you are using any carbon trebles, you definitely need an extra wrap.

Bass strings have extra surface texture that allows less wraps.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 05-29-2019, 03:19 PM

With carbon strings some tie blocks need three wraps on the trebles. I do two on nylon.

hunter
Old 05-29-2019, 03:34 PM

The cordoba video uses 1 wrap for the bass strings, and 2 wraps for the trebles.

See video below at 2 minutes:
https://www.cordobaguitars.com/live-...string-guitar/

I've had the same thing happen on my guitar, with a scratch on the finish. After that I put a small rectangle of a clear protective sheet below the bridge.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:45 AM

I stick some Post-It notes onto the top, below the bridge, when restringing with nylon and leave them there until I’m sure my knots are holding. Prevents that whack-mark if they let fly...!
EAN30C
PSF45C
CP3NYK
P3FCN

And the Yamahas:
CG170S
NCX900R
SA1200S

Not forgetting:
pre-war Reliance archtop (it’s knackered)
Old 06-09-2019, 02:04 PM

Burn the end of the nylon strings with a flame, briefly, to create a ball, this will avoid slipping through. And as above, always place a calling card where a 'string burn' could occur until stringing and tuning up is complete.

Jonny
Old 06-09-2019, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

I've never had a problem with tying the wound bass strings with just one wrap. Not so with the unwound treble strings, so I put two wraps on the third string and three wraps on the B and E strings.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHB View Post
I stick some Post-It notes onto the top, below the bridge, when restringing with nylon and leave them there until I’m sure my knots are holding. Prevents that whack-mark if they let fly...!
Good idea, I always use the wide width green painters tape. I do 2-3 wraps with floro depending on the bridge design
Old 06-10-2019, 10:12 AM

I used to rough up the end of the trebles with a couple light swipes of 300 grit sandpaper - before tying them on the bridge. This really takes the slipperiness out of them. I don't do this any more (I feel the beads are a better idea), but it's an option.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:03 AM

Default Rosette Beads

These work great !
https://www.rosetteguitarproducts.com/new-page
Old 07-15-2019, 03:09 AM

Default 12-hole bridge on Ortega

My newish Ortega is the first nylon-string guitar I've owned in some time. The 12-hole took some getting used to. I had some issues with the high E slipping, but I messed around until I could get a knot in the right place. I'm a bit embarrassed to say that at the last string change, I realized that at 3 strings done, I had used the wrong hole! I started at the bass side because I like to have each loop contain the previous string end. Extra work, but no worries.

I have a friend in Texas that can make a set of nylon strings last nearly forever. On his old Takamine camp guitar, he puts on a new string with a normal knot at the tie-block but winds most of the excess up on the capstan of the tuning machine. Then if he notices some play wear, he'll unwind the string, retie the knot a bit upstream, then retune. It's a bit of cheapskate brilliance!
Old 07-15-2019, 03:12 AM

Willie learned this the hard way... https://images.app.goo.gl/Yznx9cXytVmZa8D77

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical