The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-26-2016, 06:18 PM

WOW! What a beauty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachrunner View Post
Absolutely LOVE my 2013 Standard.

<<snippet pics>>
Old 11-27-2016, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
WOW! What a beauty.
Agreed! Friend had an old Gibson, (I think it was an SG, but something in my mind says it was a LP). It did play beautifully and I have wanted one since then. He, sadly, passed away about 10 years ago. I'm not sure what happened to it, but it would be in the family somewhere, they were all musos. (His passion was Bass and it was his Bass that convinced me to get a 5 string neck thru - He had a Yamaha 4 string neck thru tuned down to B and I loved the LOW notes.)
Old 12-03-2016, 06:11 PM

The past few days I've been playing my Gibson SGJ. The guitar rocks! I'm playing standing up straight into my Traynor YCV50 (Blue). I'm not evening putting it through the pedal board. Nice and light on my shoulder too. Think I may need to look into a Standard model.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:28 PM

To me SGs are a flawed design. A flawed design that produces a voice that can't be duplicated by its older brother. A flawed design that is the most attractive electric guitar I've ever seen. The two most important sounds in rock to me are both made on the SG. Early Sabbath and AC/DC. But the potential downsides, and my relative inexperience with them (and gibsons in general) keeps me from owning one.

I should just suck it up and ask a buddy who knows Gibsons to go shopping with me and pick one out.
Old 12-03-2016, 07:46 PM

My '61 Reissue SG is my favorite electric guitar I have ever owned. It is getting beat up a little from gigs and practices, but it really sounds and feels great. I have done a few mods to it over the years, including Bare Knuckle P90's, and a B3 Bigsby with a Towner bar.

SG's rule!

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
La Michoacana Classical (my Dad's guitar)
Beat to heck Seagull S6
Ovation Celebrity 12 string
Fender CD 60 dread that lives in Greece
Harmonicas in a Farmer rack
Old 12-04-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
To me SGs are a flawed design. A flawed design that produces a voice that can't be duplicated by its older brother. A flawed design that is the most attractive electric guitar I've ever seen. The two most important sounds in rock to me are both made on the SG. Early Sabbath and AC/DC. But the potential downsides, and my relative inexperience with them (and gibsons in general) keeps me from owning one.

I should just suck it up and ask a buddy who knows Gibsons to go shopping with me and pick one out.
You've gotta give it a try. Although there's a neck dive when you let go of it you don't notice any extra weight on your hands while playing, i.e., it doesn't feel like you're holding up the neck.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
You've gotta give it a try. Although there's a neck dive when you let go of it you don't notice any extra weight on your hands while playing, i.e., it doesn't feel like you're holding up the neck.
Thanks! That's a GREAT tip, and exactly why I would bring someone knowledgeable with me! I never use a strap when test driving. Only seated on a stool in the shop. And there the weight is definitely well "in hand"

Next trip in I'll definitely bring a strap!
Old 12-07-2016, 08:48 PM

I bought a used 2016 Standard with new pots, wiring, and Throbak pickups to replace my 2010 that was stolen 9 days after I bought it. It has a chunky neck, and the Throbacks make it sing.

I have been playing it at rehearsal through a '58 Tweed Deluxe with a Boss Fender Reverb pedal and a Zendrive.

Loving it.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:44 AM

Hi Blue, You should give the SG a try with a strap just to make sure the dive doesn't bother you. When I let go on the neck, sometimes the strap on my shoulder keeps it in place if there's enough friction there. Otherwise, it will dive. While playing though, I don't notice it. It's so light compared to my Les Pauls (which don't dive).
Quote:
Thanks! That's a GREAT tip, and exactly why I would bring someone knowledgeable with me! I never use a strap when test driving. Only seated on a stool in the shop. And there the weight is definitely well "in hand"

Next trip in I'll definitely bring a strap!
Old 12-08-2016, 07:49 PM

Quote:
WOW! What a beauty.
Thanks, Dru. She's a player as well!
Old 12-08-2016, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Hi Blue, You should give the SG a try with a strap just to make sure the dive doesn't bother you. When I let go on the neck, sometimes the strap on my shoulder keeps it in place if there's enough friction there. Otherwise, it will dive. While playing though, I don't notice it. It's so light compared to my Les Pauls (which don't dive).
My go to strap is a planet waves Bass strap, which is a good 4 inches wide, and quite grip-py. I'm sure it would hold it in place.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachrunner View Post
Thanks, Dru. She's a player as well!
I'm sure she is!

Quote:
My go to strap is a planet waves Bass strap, which is a good 4 inches wide, and quite grip-py. I'm sure it would hold it in place.
4 inch strap? I don't think you'll have any issues.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:43 PM

After reading those great threads on Les Pauls and Strats I thought it would be good to resurrect the SG thread as well.

Here's my 2017 SG Standard with stock '57 Classics. I use a Soul Food pedal in front of it and a Marshall JVM and it just rocks!

Old 05-17-2019, 01:15 AM

2016 Dave's Special '61 Reissue Limited Edition (special run for Dave's Guitar Shop in Wisconsin)

2010 Historic SG Special

Last edited by rockabilly69; 05-17-2019 at 04:09 AM.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:14 PM

I thought I had replied to your post, rockabilly69. A couple of fantastic SGs! What's different on the Special Run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post

2016 Dave's Special '61 Reissue Limited Edition (special run for Dave's Guitar Shop in Wisconsin)

2010 Historic SG Special

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars