The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-10-2019, 04:19 PM

Default Condenser Mikes & Bose or JBL Stick PAs??

Just when I thought upgrading my stage gear was going to be simple (not counding coming up with a grand or so): I was just about to pull the trigger on a Bose L1 Compact or a JBL Eon or Eon Pro when it occurred to me that they may not have phantom power for my condenser mikes! The Bose L1 Compact specifies that there's no phantom power, and Sweetwater recommends against a mixer other than the Bose brand (ouch!). Does that mean I'm stuck moving to dynamic mikes with either PA system? I might want to stick with my little Fishman Loudbox!
Martin Steve Miller Pegasus #299/383
Taylor 14 body BTO ("The Junebug Special")
414ce
National Rez O-14
1971 Tak 12

Old 06-10-2019, 04:25 PM

You can get an external phantom power supply.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:18 PM

I don't know why Sweetwater would recommend against an external mixer for the Bose L1C, but I can tell you plenty of people use external mixers with the Bose L series.

I use a Behringer XR12 which has phantom power.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 06-10-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
I don't know why Sweetwater would recommend against an external mixer for the Bose L1C, but I can tell you plenty of people use external mixers with the Bose L series.
Sweetwater readily sold me one to use with my Compact. that was just your particular salesman talking (or mine).

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:36 PM

I have no problems using an Allen and Heath mixer with my Bose L1C.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:18 AM

Using a different brand mixer is not an issue and will give your mic phantom power as well as a good mic preamp (assuming you get a decent mixer). You can also buy separate mic power units (Rolls does a double channel one for example) but to be honest you might as well invest in a simple but decent mixer.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 06-11-2019, 12:37 PM

Default Getting there, Probably SA330

Looking now at a Fishman SA330 with subwoofer and 4-channel expander. I'm familiar with the SoloAmp 220, and it looks pretty good. Comments?
414ce
National Rez O-14
1971 Tak 12

Old 06-11-2019, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Reid View Post
Looking now at a Fishman SA330 with subwoofer and 4-channel expander. I'm familiar with the SoloAmp 220, and it looks pretty good. Comments?
The Fishman SA330x is another great unit, and at some level when it comes to comparing it to a similar-ish Bose it's like a debate between red and white wines.

However fwiw as noted multiple times above, non-Bose mixers work just as well with all the Bose systems. I have a Bose L1 Compact (and a generally unused L1 M2), and love the sounds I've gotten out of it both with my T1 Tonematch and Yamaha MG10XU. And for whatever reason--maybe they hate menus as much as I do--I rarely if ever see T1s used around here for live performance with either the Compact or the L1M2.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post

However fwiw as noted multiple times above, non-Bose mixers work just as well with all the Bose systems...
Sometimes better. The feature I missed most on my T1 mixer was a high pass filter, especially with the larger B2 subwoofer. With a boomy mic or guitar pickup you were just sort of stuck. Yeah you could pull out bass, but that takes the low end rather than just the mud. I ended up switching from the T1 to a different mixer mainly just to get channel high pass filters.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:02 PM

The EV Evolve 50 has phantom power for condensers. Bluetooth, as well.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews...oice-evolve-50
Old 06-12-2019, 01:54 PM

Default Thanks. Bought one.

Thanks to all for your help! Just ordered an SA330x with subwoofer base and channel expander. A little expensive, but it has everything I need, and the controls are familiar from a previous Fishman SoloAmp (pre-220).
414ce
National Rez O-14
1971 Tak 12

Old 06-12-2019, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomaynor View Post
The EV Evolve 50 has phantom power for condensers. Bluetooth, as well.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews...oice-evolve-50
Except that it's only 15 volts so another component would be needed to add enough power. I was hot to get an Evolve, but got talked out of it by the salesman--he said the DJ's were liking them with the output and bass content with the sub, but not so much for an acoustic setup--and the sub is pretty heavy. But my needs were mostly solo/duo acoustic stuff, so YMMV
Old 06-12-2019, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks to all for your help! Just ordered an SA330x with subwoofer base and channel expander. A little expensive, but it has everything I need, and the controls are familiar from a previous Fishman SoloAmp (pre-220).
Congratulations! Please report back!
Old 06-12-2019, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Just when I thought upgrading my stage gear was going to be simple (not counding coming up with a grand or so): I was just about to pull the trigger on a Bose L1 Compact or a JBL Eon or Eon Pro when it occurred to me that they may not have phantom power for my condenser mikes! The Bose L1 Compact specifies that there's no phantom power, and Sweetwater recommends against a mixer other than the Bose brand (ouch!). Does that mean I'm stuck moving to dynamic mikes with either PA system? I might want to stick with my little Fishman Loudbox!
Hi, I have a "used" L1 which didn't have a Bose mixer unit. I bought the smallest mixer I could find ( A Yamaha) and it worked fine, but the shop that sold it to me has a damaged but functional Bose unit and will trade for me. (it's even smaller than the Yamaha.

I use a "Mk 1" Rode NT1 which has servd me faithfully for many years.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification