The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-28-2019, 08:29 AM

Played a gig last year, and my 100-foot cord wasn't long enough!

Stuff like this kills me.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

...outdoor gigs...indoor gigs...there are a surprisingly large number of venues that are clueless when it comes to adequate planning for the performers...I”ve had gigs where we showed up and had to clear and clean stages...gigs where had to cram into insufferably tight spaces...one outdoor gig where we were placed inside a three sided plexiglass enclosure with no shade in 100 degree heat...too many ridiculous situations to even recall....

..otoh..it’s a pleasure to show up when things are setup nicely and you’re treated like royalty...it’s smart on the venues part...happy players make better music...

...ultimately it’s a live and learn kinda deal...
Old 05-28-2019, 09:32 AM

Haven't had that much experience gigging but have seen a few where they didn't even realize that there was no power where they wanted us.

On the flip side, my favorite place to play right now is a small wine and tapas venue about 20 minutes from home, where they have the PA and Mic stands there ready. All we have to do is plug in and play. I don't even mind that it doesn't pay that well.

They give us some cash, a bar tab, and I am always home by 11:30.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:53 PM

I bring one of those gizmos that tell me if the outlet I'm using is grounded.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgagnon View Post
I bring one of those gizmos that tell me if the outlet I'm using is grounded.
Those are definitely important to have.
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 06-06-2019, 02:34 PM

Outdoor gigs just suck. I’ve done literally hundreds, but no more. Always more trouble than they’re worth, IMO.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:46 PM

It is almost a given to me that the venue (or whatever blockhead is in charge when you get there) will have no clue about the needs of the performer and I include not only power and access but safety issues as well.

The Kid is lucky to be performing at a level that he has a contract, though my own experience with contracts between creative people and the cold-eyed businesses that hire them is that unless you have a lawyer on tap, conflicts are seldom settled to your advantage. You can walk, but then you are the guy who walked. That is why I have a lawyer on tap now...

On the other hand, there is a lot of good will out there as well, people who want the entertainment to go well who don't want to get into a pissing contest.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 06-06-2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
It is almost a given to me that the venue (or whatever blockhead is in charge when you get there) will have no clue about the needs of the performer and I include not only power and access but safety issues as well.

The Kid is lucky to be performing at a level that he has a contract, though my own experience with contracts between creative people and the cold-eyed businesses that hire them is that unless you have a lawyer on tap, conflicts are seldom settled to your advantage. You can walk, but then you are the guy who walked. That is why I have a lawyer on tap now...

On the other hand, there is a lot of good will out there as well, people who want the entertainment to go well who don't want to get into a pissing contest.
I usually firm details up via email when booking with new places. It's not always a formal contract, although I use those as well. Having it in writing makes sure that nobody gets amnesia. Once a good working relationship has been established, I don't run into problems.

I've had to go as far as to pull up the email to show the person, or someone else on site who is in charge. I've never had to take anyone to court over a bar gig. Them seeing it agreed to in writing usually helps things.
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 06-07-2019, 06:09 AM

I always like to check out the venue before I have to play there - even better if when someone else is playing, so I can hear any sound issues, how they set up.
Last week, the owner where I host an open mic decided I would set me up in a different part of the room than I have been doing since last year because the Stanley Cup was on tv that night. He didn't tell me, just had the waitress tell me when I arrived. Problem was that the only outlet in the room was over on the other side, a 40' extension cord needed! There was only a 25' one there. I could have raced home to get one, but the owner appeared after about 15 minutes with a longer cable - only to show me (and the waitress) that there was hidden in a closet about 10 feet away.
Next week, just in case, I'll have a 50' extension in my car!

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 06-07-2019, 11:54 AM

We've always brought a few 100' extension cords with us, wherever we played, be it outdoors, or inside.

Ya' never know!
Old 06-08-2019, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
I always like to check out the venue before I have to play there..
Whenever that is possible I walk the venue and take note of what is/may/might/will be needed. In the hard-case is a 100’ reel and duct-tape to secure it to the floor. It is needed more than it is not.

Kid - you should know by now that there is always someone willing to tell you what you need to do, or should have done, - even when you already did (not directed at any post or person - the universal someone).
Old 06-08-2019, 06:11 AM

I feel your frustration Kid, I’ve done hundreds of outdoor shows with the same verbiage in the contract. I’ll also note that bottled water (while not necessary) would be appreciated. One of my most memorable nights was a duo gig with my brother back in the 80’s. We show up to play. “Where do you want us to set up”. “Right there in the corner, you’ll have to move the cigarette machine out of the corner”. We did and we played, but we never went back.
1993 Gibson Les Paul Standard
2002 Taylor 310CE
2008 Martin OMC16REP
2013 Taylor 816CE
2016 Kindred OM
Little Martin travel guitar
Taylor GS mini
Red eye preamp
Fender Hot Rod deluxe
Fishman soloamp
Bose L1M2 B2 sub
Vintage boss pedals
Www.strummingtunes.com
Old 06-08-2019, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
I hate showing up at a gig 'cold'.
Same here. We used to scout out new places to see where they put the band and what was available for power and whatnot. Now we just run everything on battery. Because we're small and don't need full band power or play gigs that require huge volume I deliberately went in the direction of equipment that runs on battery. So even where there is power, we run on battery. Easy set up. No surprises. That said, the gear power cords and a couple extension cords are always in the trunk. Dirty power is another issue.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:58 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Folks, that's the value of the "no green M&Ms" clause buried in the rider. It lets you know whether they've really read the rider. If they don't complain about the "no green M&Ms" clause they haven't read the rider.

We get riders all the time that ask for the moon. We have a choice to either provide as demanded or call back and ask for clarification. For instance, we book the band to come in and play with two acoustic guitars, bass, and cajone and they agree. The rider arrives spec'ing two Vox AC30 amps, a specific keyboard, a full drum kit, and a list of specific mics for said items.

We end up having to call back and ask for a second rider and get the reply, "Oh crap. We sent you the generic fly rig rider. Sorry."

The band can do the same and ask for confirmation of the rediculous line #68 ("no green M&Ms" or whatever) if there is a question that the venue is on the ball.

I love some of the comedy in riders: "Catering: no rubber chicken, hopefully something survivable, please, no wilted vegetables, only national brands of bottled water."

And the wisdom: "In an effort to provide some dignity and comfort to our team we ask that you provide catering according to the following schedule: Mondays, grilled chicken and fresh vegetables; Tuesday, BBQ ribs and Mac&cheese, etc."

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

Last edited by Bob Womack; 06-08-2019 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
Whenever that is possible I walk the venue and take note of what is/may/might/will be needed. In the hard-case is a 100’ reel and duct-tape to secure it to the floor. It is needed more than it is not.

Kid - you should know by now that there is always someone willing to tell you what you need to do, or should have done, - even when you already did (not directed at any post or person - the universal someone).
Yeah, I have pretty reasonable expectations. Power within 15' of the performance area. Clear area to set up in. Adequate cover provided by the venue. I wish I could get by with underpowered systems that run on batteries, but that's not my personal real world scenario.

Today load in is easy. Art festival. Walk two blocks at least. Loaded in with extra PA gear on Thursday. The guy before me us using my PA, so I'll already be set up.
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic