The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-28-2020, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Default A nice visit to an exotic luthier supply shop

It turns out there is a small business right here in Buffalo (area) called RC Tonewoods.

Very non-descript operation and if you aren't on their mailing list or on the ASIA (Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans) group or the luthier forums you probably would never know they existed.

They kinda fly under the radar.

I needed a couple pieces of some hard to find materials and Pete, the owner invited me over.

I stopped over and we ended up chatting for a good 45 minutes. His dad owned the business and handed it down. Pete seems to really know his stuff - not just about woods and processing it but about all the contacts in the industry and sourcing it. We walked around his shop, talked about projects, about wood, the industry and getting together to do some woodworking at his shop.

And, as we chatted, he would pull out some wood or stacks of wood and explain what customer order they were for.

His dad is still active in his retirement, as well.

Honestly I was so envious of this guy who has this modest little business and does what he loves, working with the most exotic materials and providing wood to luthiers all over the world.

Just a really "happy" place to visit.

Pete's a really nice guy and really knows his stuff.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 01-28-2020, 04:19 PM

I agree, Fazool, that RC Tonewoods is a great place for luthier supplies. Bob Cefalu and his sons have sold me some gorgeous back and side sets, as well as reverse-kerfed linings whenever I'm too lazy to make them myself.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hey Fazool,
I did all the wood processing over there for a period of about 6-7 years I would guess. I'm surprised you never found the place before being a guitar guy.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:56 PM

Waal, it's actually northa Buffler, up thar in Kenmore.....
Old 01-29-2020, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Bob and Pete are good people and a visit to the shop is definitely a treat. I was lucky to have spent a day at their shop years ago with several guitar builder friends. I still remember shuffling through so many stacks of tops and back and side sets. I think I have about a dozen of their back and sides and tops in my own stash.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:06 PM

When our dollar was worth something I did the online auction thing and they would hold onto my purchases until I had enough to fill up a box reducing the shipping and duty costs per set. If our dollar ever gets up in value again I would have no problem buying more wood from them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair