The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-15-2020, 11:49 AM

Default Martin 1939 Authentic barrel & heel profile

Trying, in vain, to find a measurement of the cross-section of this neck profile at 1st / 10th fret. Mysteriously absent from Martin’s neck shape chart and nothing on their website (seems full thickness not on the menu of the day either).

If someone has a D-18A ‘39 and can describe diffs between barrel & heel and say mod V on another 1 11/16” Martin neck (perhaps HD-28V or custom D-18) that would help me to determine depth, shoulder, curvature.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:28 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar MD View Post
Trying, in vain, to find a measurement of the cross-section of this neck profile at 1st / 10th fret. Mysteriously absent from Martin’s neck shape chart and nothing on their website (seems full thickness not on the menu of the day either).

If someone has a D-18A ‘39 and can describe diffs between barrel & heel and say mod V on another 1 11/16” Martin neck (perhaps HD-28V or custom D-18) that would help me to determine depth, shoulder, curvature.
Maybe if you search dealers that you're familiar with, and then ascertain if their repairman might be willing to help another repairman....maybe they'll be willing to put a template marker (or caliper if you only need the depth) on one, and then fax the actual tracing.

HE
Old 01-15-2020, 10:12 PM

Before posting here, I read various old posts on UMGF; however, none of them really seem to contain much in the way of definitive info about this neck profile apart from an indication that it makes a transition from a rounded C to V shape as you go from 1st fret to 10th.

More U shaped, unique neck that takes some getting used to, comments that the transition feels odd, etc....

I sent an email to Martin CS to see if they can provide a silhouette graphic with H1 H2 measurements as per profiles on their neck shapes chart.
Old 01-16-2020, 01:19 AM

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but starting at post #20 there are drawings of neck profiles with measurements. Looks like there are some numbers for a D-18 Authentic.

https://umgf.com/neck-profiles-cross...ns-t73262.html
Old 01-17-2020, 09:30 PM

Great sleuth work t.strings!

Exactly what I was looking for. Overlays say it all.

Thank you!

Next week, I expect to receive a response from Martin CS expert who oversees the Authentic series. I’ll be sure to post it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion