The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-22-2019, 07:42 PM

Default How do you wear your strap?

Here's proof I have far too much time on my hands as I recover from knee surgery.

All three of my guitars have a strap button in the same spot. That is, on the high e side of the heel sort of pointing down towards the floor. I hope that makes sense.

This seems to be where the majority of buttons get placed. Not all of course, but most.

Anyway, for those of you whose strap button is in this location, in what orientation do you put your strap? Do you attach it so the same surface (what I consider the inside surface) that touches your shoulder touches the guitar or do you attach it so the "outer" surface touches the guitar?

Hmmm?

Best,
PJ
Old 12-22-2019, 08:36 PM

Seems an odd question, but I guess I have the same side that lies on my shoulder facing in on the button.
Old 12-22-2019, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misifus View Post
Seems an odd question, but I guess I have the same side that lies on my shoulder facing in on the button.
Yes it is a bit of an odd one but I tried to do it the other way a couple times (outside surface coming in contact with the neck) and I thought it felt kind of odd but was wondering if anyone else wears their strap that way.

Like I said, I’ve got some time on my hands...

Best,
PJ
Old 12-22-2019, 11:47 PM

Raf wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misifus View Post
I do the same as Raf. That's because he taught me everything I know....

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 12-23-2019, 12:53 AM

Same surface. Anything else twists the strap unnecessarily.
Old 12-23-2019, 02:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
Same surface. Anything else twists the strap unnecessarily.
^^^
This.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 12-23-2019, 03:25 AM
Charter Member

I put my strap buttons in the endcap on the back end of the heel.

I drill a 3/8" hole,

EDIT !!! - NOT a 3/8" but a 3/32" dia hole !!!

I make a small leather shield in the shape of the endcap, and install a Schaller Straplock.

Job done, perfect balance, nothing to get in the way of playing around the octave.
NOTE : Schaller have changed the product and ow there are only "S-LOCKS" which are bigger, more bulky but may be better - I dunno.
NOTE.NOTE : beware fake Schallers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0149.jpg (17.6 KB, 159 views)

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 12-23-2019 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-23-2019, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I put my strap buttons in the endcap on the back end of the heel...Job done, perfect balance, nothing to get in the way of playing around the octave.
What he said...
Old 12-23-2019, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Andy, no disrespect intended, but are you quite sure that you use a 3/8" drill bit? That seems rather large to me. I realize you primarily use the metric system and that would be about 9.5mm. Could you have meant 3/32" (2.3mm)? I'm curious as I haven't seen a straploc system that needed that diameter hole drilled?

BTW-I loved your NGD &NCD post! I've just acquired a 96 Martin 12 fret slothead and a new rescue kitten named Finn. Perhaps we're brothers from different mothers??
Old 12-23-2019, 08:46 AM

I play seated almost all the time so I rarely use a strap. I dislike (hate isn’t too strong a word) added strap buttons so, on the rare occasions when I have to play standing, I use a dobro strap that attaches to the headstock.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 12-23-2019, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I put my strap buttons in the endcap on the back end of the heel.

I drill a 3/8" hole, makes a small leather shield in the shape of the endcap, and install a Schaller Straplock.

Job done, perfect balance, nothing to get in the way of playing around the octave.
I have never liked my strap buttons in this position. It always tilts the the guitar down and away from me. Maybe it is because I am short and of smaller stature than many folks. I only have one guitar with the strap button on the heel and I adjust for it but it is not my preferred location.

To the OP, I find that there is only one way to place the strap so it doesn't twist when the button is in the location where you describe. I hope that you knee heals quickly.

Best,
Jayne
Old 12-23-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I have never liked my strap buttons in this position. It always tilts the the guitar down and away from me. Maybe it is because I am short and of smaller stature than many folks. I only have one guitar with the strap button on the heel and I adjust for it but it is not my preferred location.

To the OP, I find that there is only one way to place the strap so it doesn't twist when the button is in the location where you describe. I hope that you knee heals quickly.

Best,
Jayne
Hi Jayne,
Yeah, my Gibson was purchased new from Music Villa in Bozeman and they installed the neck button for me but never asked where I would like it. I was a bit surprised to see it where it was as I've never had one in that position before. However, after a little while I've become used to its location.

My original question came about after watching TV a little while ago, I noticed so many acoustic guitar players have very fancy straps and the "outside" surface is where all the fancy stuff is placed. Many country music stars even have their name embossed onto the strap which is very easy to see. I suspect their straps are not attached where mine are.

With the strap buttons placed as they are on my guitars, the inner surface seems to be "facing outwards" so if I use a fancy strap no one will know except me. (Big issue, I know...)

Also, thank you for your kind words. I'm healing well. Trying to make daily progress. Slow but sure.

Best,
PJ

Last edited by Photojeep; 12-23-2019 at 09:17 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-23-2019, 09:32 AM

All my guitars past and present have had strap buttons installed on the side of the heal toward the floor. I tried tying to the headstock (wrong balance for me), one guitar came with the button on the end of the heel (guitar tilted away from me so I changed it and made a new heel cap). I guess it comes down to comfort for the individual.
Old 12-23-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post
Here's proof I have far too much time on my hands...
I retired last month, same here.

Quote:
All three of my guitars have a strap button in the same spot. That is, on the high e side of the heel sort of pointing down towards the floor. I hope that makes sense.
It does, and that's the way I have them, too.

Quote:
Anyway, for those of you whose strap button is in this location, in what orientation do you put your strap? Do you attach it so the same surface (what I consider the inside surface) that touches your shoulder touches the guitar or do you attach it so the "outer" surface touches the guitar
I attach it so the inside surface touches the guitar. Yes, the bling side of the strap is partly hidden so I'll just have to dazzle listeners some other way.

I've tried all all three strap attachment locations, headstock, back of heel, and floor side of heel. The floor side of the heel is the only one the works well for me.
Old 12-23-2019, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Default WHOA - Andy Made a BOO BOO - don't Drill - yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampix View Post
Andy, no disrespect intended, but are you quite sure that you use a 3/8" drill bit? That seems rather large to me. I realize you primarily use the metric system and that would be about 9.5mm. Could you have meant 3/32" (2.3mm)? I'm curious as I haven't seen a straploc system that needed that diameter hole drilled?

BTW-I loved your NGD &NCD post! I've just acquired a 96 Martin 12 fret slothead and a new rescue kitten named Finn. Perhaps we're brothers from different mothers??
Hi Rampix! THANKS for pointing this out!
Folks, I made a booboo!

I DON'T USE a 3/8" dia drill!!!!!!!

The drill I use is a 2.5 m/m = 3/32" this is for a screw for Schaller strap lock which I've just measured (with my WW1 micrometer) as .137" i.e 3.48 m/m.

Further, some might use a lubricant, such as vaseline or soap (when I was at school we used sheep fat - tallow?) to aid the screw in, but I have not found that necessary.

I drill with my small electric screwdriver, but screw in, slowly, by hand.

NOTE Schaller has changed their product - The new "S-LOCK" ones are more complicated and have a thicker and longer screw which is secured with a 3 m/m allen key NOT a Philips screwdriver.

Also the strap style shank is longer and also requires an allen key to lock the keyway screw.

NOTENOTE : - I've just looked on ebay and amazon and there are LOTS of "fake" or copy Schaller "style" products around - if it ain't got that Schaller name on the horse shoe - it ain't Schaller! (I mean they might be OK but what if the metal used is inferior?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion