The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-23-2020, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Default Need Advice on Placement-interface-preamp

I would love to get some advice on Placement of interface-Preamp and cords= How placement & running the cords could effect Hum or other interference problems.
I just ordered a John Hardy M2 preamp. And I need to order some cables for Preamp to interface and from Interface to Power amp.
* I was planning on putting the Mic Preamp directly behind the interface. However that would put the Preamp only about a foot away from my Wall Mounted speakers.
Is there a problem that the magnets of the speakers can cause with the preamp?
Should I place the Preamp further away? This will of course determine how long I should order my cables.
** I know that many of you might not like the fact that I will be powering my speakers with an Hi-Fi power amplifier & not going to powered monitors. However, I have some very nice pro high end speakers. So for now..I will be running an unbalanced line out of the interface to my Power Amp. The line would run behind my computer...pass the AC power strip and over to the power amplifier. Nothing is set in stone...so I could also move the Power amplifier if necessary. The Only thing the unbalanced line should effect is the noise level during playback. I can live with that for now...and monitor noise through headphones.
Here is my current set up
Old 11-23-2020, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

First and foremost there is absolutely no sonic advantage of active speakers over passive per se....... None , Zippo, Nada, the only thing that matters are the specks and the response. Period, end of story ... Regardless of what people may like , or believe .
Now there may arguably be logistical and convenience factors, of having the manufacture (ostensibly) match the amp to the speaker, so customer does not have to that. And then obviously not having an additional power amp unit is more convenient especially in tight quarters.

The only thing that struck me about your intended setup, was the pre amp "behind the interface" do you mean behind and above ? Because you will want unfettered access to your preamp.
And if it were me I would try put the power strip (where you have it left to right is OK), but maybe just under the top of the desk as opposed to on top of it. And run the signal cables on top of it .
Ideally it's nice if you can avoid audio signal cables running parallel and sitting directly on AC power chords . (albeit for short distance it probably is not issue )

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 11-23-2020, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Ideally it's nice if you can avoid audio signal cables running parallel and sitting directly on AC power chords . (albeit for short distance it probably is not issue )
Rule of thumb (this goes for digital data as well as analog cables) is not to run any signal cable in parallel close to power cables. If they need to cross, try to do it at a 90-degree angle to minimize any interference.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Good to know KevWind & Chipolte...did not know about parallel lines. That is exactly the kind of info I need to know.
Alrighty then...Here is my new configuration...and a couple of more questions:
* Is there any problem with putting the power amplifier below the interface and Preamp? There would be a space of about 5 inches.
** Do I need to separate the interface, Preamp, and future compressor by any distances? and Inch? or none at all? I can just sit them on top of one another?
***I have a Interex S3205MAV Surge Protector .....Is this good enough of do a special-better type Ac power strip for Audio?
****Digital Cable going from Interface to computer.
Recently I bought some new Canare thick microphone cables. I immediately noticed a difference in quality between my new ones and my 35 year old Mogami cables.
Is there any advantage to higher grade interface cables? I have heard in the past that digital is digital and therefore cables do not make a difference. But I wonder if there are not some advantages to higher grade cable?
***** And finally Cable length. As in my new configuration I could use less than one foot cables going from Interface to preamp. Is there any reason to order more than that?
Old 11-24-2020, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

5 inches between the amp and interface is plenty (even if the amp were tube)

The interface, pre amp, and future comp are probably fine free standing stacked on top of each other with the normally supplied little feet that come with many units, if not just some stick on rubber spacers will work .
https://www.amazon.com/Clear-Square-...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Eventually you may want to DYI or buy a 19" appropriate number of spaces (size) rack unit for them

Cables from interface to computer (digital) probably doesn't matter

Analog cables my Pro Audio guy (that I get everything from) will do either Mogami , Canari, or ProCo, says in short runs 15 ft and under (and definitely on short interconnects) he can't hear much difference and has a bit better price on ProCo. (So he is making up some ProCo DB 25's for my new interface) if that helps I believe both B&H and Sweetwater et. al. have some Black Friday specials on ProCo

I am not familiar with that surge protector

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 11-24-2020 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-24-2020, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

I've been getting my cables from Redco; you can select whatever cable, length, and connectors you want as they are custom made. Takes about 3 weeks to get them.

I don't go shorter than 2' on XLR cables. The reason is that the connectors may have to rotate to align with the receptacle; if the cable is really short this rotation puts more stresses on the cable and strain relief.

I had a studio rack made from nice-rack. High quality material and construction but not expensive as some others.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 11-24-2020, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I've been getting my cables from Redco; you can select whatever cable, length, and connectors you want as they are custom made. Takes about 3 weeks to get them.

I don't go shorter than 2' on XLR cables. The reason is that the connectors may have to rotate to align with the receptacle; if the cable is really short this rotation puts more stresses on the cable and strain relief.

I had a studio rack made from nice-rack. High quality material and construction but not expensive as some others.
Thanks ChuckS, this is exactly the kind of input I need as to what length and why.
Obviously I don't want Xtra cable just hanging around in the back...Two feet sounds like it not too much and gives a little extra room for movement as you mentioned.
I ordered last time from Have inc for cables.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD