The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-13-2013, 06:51 PM

Default Fishman Aura DI or L R Baggs Venue DI

Hi

I have a Breedlove Focus 2005 with the L R Baggs dual source pickup and am looking for more control over my sound when I play live. Which of these is better?

Bob
Old 06-13-2013, 08:12 PM

Baggs Venue by a long shot. Aura basically all about imagaing, which does not work well with dual source set ups. Aura has no para mids while Venue has dual para mids + a notch filter. To be fair, Aura DI has an auto feedback finder with up to 3 notched frequencies. Venue also has a boost switch which can be quite useful. WAY more control over sound with Venue.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:08 AM

Aura is geared more towards UST's to help get a more useful acoustic sound. I sold mine
Old 06-14-2013, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobWG View Post
I have a Breedlove Focus 2005 with the L R Baggs dual source pickup and am looking for more control over my sound when I play live. Which of these is better?
Bob, you're trying to compare an apple to an orange! As others have (and will) suggest, the Aura is an imaging box (it takes input from an UST (and note that they are designed only for an UST) and mixes it with a digital "image" of a guitar recorded in a high-end studio) while the Venue is a pre-amp (with a 5-band EQ, an adjustable clean volume boost, a tuner, and an active DI built-in).

If you want tone control then you want a pre-amp...

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:08 AM

Another great choice is the Radial PZ-Pre. I bought a used one for $185. I think this has more functionality then the others.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:09 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobWG View Post
Hi

Bob
If you do go with an Aura, you'll really need to mute the mic in your dual source. Aura & a real mic do NOT play well together.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 06-14-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Matchless View Post
Another great choice is the Radial PZ-Pre. I bought a used one for $185. I think this has more functionality then the others.
That's a great box to through into the mix. Al Petteway, Pierre Bensusan, Antoine Dufour, Don Ross & more use it. The notch has different depth settings and it has an adjustable boost switch that can alternatively be set to turn the effects loop on & off. It has an adjustable high pass filter which is something that none of these others have. A big feature for some is the 2nd input with it's own volume control and the ability to toggle between the 2 with a foot-switch.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:25 AM
AGF Sponsor

Yes, the Radial stuff is awesome. A level above the Fishman and Baggs boxes, for sure.
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 06-14-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonius View Post
That's a great box to through into the mix. Al Petteway, Pierre Bensusan, Antoine Dufour, Don Ross & more use it. The notch has different depth settings and it has an adjustable boost switch that can alternatively be set to turn the effects loop on & off. It has an adjustable high pass filter which is something that none of these others have. A big feature for some is the 2nd input with it's own volume control and the ability to toggle between the 2 with a foot-switch.
I had thought of mentioning the PZ-Pre to the OP but then looked up the Baggs Dual-Source and realized that it has an onboard active preamp and blend control, therefore a 2-input outboard pre may not be the OPs best option.

The Venue offers 5 band EQ (vs. the PZ-Pre's 3-band) plus the boost and notch filter and my solution for using it with 2 instruments was to replace the admittedly-weak tuner section with a Pitchblack+...now the Venue tuner switch operates as a mute and I've got a strobe tuner and selector switch for 2 instruments.

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjs View Post
I had thought of mentioning the PZ-Pre to the OP but then looked up the Baggs Dual-Source and realized that it has an onboard active preamp and blend control, therefore a 2-input outboard pre may not be the OPs best option.

The Venue offers 5 band EQ (vs. the PZ-Pre's 3-band) plus the boost and notch filter and my solution for using it with 2 instruments was to replace the admittedly-weak tuner section with a Pitchblack+...now the Venue tuner switch operates as a mute and I've got a strobe tuner and selector switch for 2 instruments.

Phil
There's also the single-channel PZ-Deluxe.
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
breedlove, fishman, l r baggs venue di