The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-07-2013, 04:44 PM

Default new guitar- help me decide

Hey guys. so i just sold my 30th anni 414ce. i still have my martin dsr w a matrix infinity in it. plays great, setup amazing, i'm just not thrilled w the p'up, but i think rather than try to sell and get a gpcpa3 it's easier to just get an aura di and use that w the pup it already has, should accomplish what i want, and i can use it with other guitars too. i also have a breedlove om/ere ab top which is my beater retreat guitar so i dont have to take the pricier ones and it has laminate sides so its a bit more abuse-able. but anyway, i'm now looking for the replacement for the taylor which was just a bit dry and a bit old. i'm looking at taylor 710 or 714 cedar tops. i'm a pretty aggressive strummer but also do intimate fingerstyle sometimes, so i think the natural compresssion and warmth from cedar is good for me, but i also love the clarity and note articulation of koa, which might be a good change bc both my remaining guitars are rosewood already... any thoughts? or any good deals? guitar center has a breedlove c15/k koa redwood for 1200 but i can find no info on that guitar to know what is a good price and gc is notoriously over priced. and most of the 700s im seeing these days are sitka top which as ive said i already have two... so. your collective help and or info/suggestions is appreciated...
Old 06-07-2013, 07:58 PM

If you are a hard strummer, stay far away from cedar tops, unless you simply don't plan on strumming hard on it. I made that mistake once and I won't make it again. When it compresses, it doesn't sound good. It sounds bad. Muddy and gross.

What do you mean the Taylor you sold was "dry" and "old"? Because a dry guitar just needs some humidity. And an old guitar is going to have certain, and usually desirable characteristics that you will never find in a new guitar.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:01 PM

Sorry i meant tonally dry. sterile. lacking in overtones. it was fairly balanced when i toyed around with the right strings for it, but overall, a little lack luster. the top aged well, but i loaned it out to my kid brother for a while and it came back pretty worse for wear. so i sold it off. time for something new. hmm. if not cedar then what do you recommend to balance me out a bit, because i do play both styles, and i find my sitka/rosewood combos to get a bit bright especially bc i use a pick most of the time, so i want something a bit warmer but without becoming muddy- i still want the clarity and articulation. bell-like? i can hear it in my head, just can't describe what i'm looking for. what do you think about that redwood rosewood breedlove i mentioned?
Old 06-07-2013, 09:10 PM

Well I haven't played that guitar, but redwood is generally understood to have more headroom than cedar, though still less than some of the spruce species. If it is something you could try in person, I would say it could be a good bet for a compromise between cedar and spruce. As something to buy sight-unseen? That would be trickier.

Plus, everyone has their own style and sound, and different guitars react in different ways. Conventional wisdom says cedar doesn't handle aggressive strumming well, and generally I find that to be true. But Paul Brady plays several cedar topped Lowdens and strums quite aggressively, and they still sound majestic. So while I would generally steer away from cedar for that kind of playing, it clearly isn't a hard-and-fast rule.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin4thchrist View Post
Sorry i meant tonally dry. sterile. lacking in overtones. it was fairly balanced when i toyed around with the right strings for it, but overall, a little lack luster. the top aged well, but i loaned it out to my kid brother for a while and it came back pretty worse for wear. so i sold it off. time for something new. hmm. if not cedar then what do you recommend to balance me out a bit, because i do play both styles, and i find my sitka/rosewood combos to get a bit bright especially bc i use a pick most of the time, so i want something a bit warmer but without becoming muddy- i still want the clarity and articulation. bell-like? i can hear it in my head, just can't describe what i'm looking for. what do you think about that redwood rosewood breedlove i mentioned?
A spruce top with mahogany back and sides combo sounds perfect for you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
breedlove, martin, taylor