The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-18-2013, 03:24 PM

Default Visit to grand opening of GC...

I went to the new Guitar Center in Southington CT today. Not a bad experience. A nice store, smaller than some, but not the smallest I've been to (the one in Danbury is smallest in CT). The staff was friendly, some of them transfers from other stores, lots of excited, entry-level, just-out-of-college newbie salesmen. Only one was slightly annoying when he said, "You like blues but don't play ELECTRIC?" I gave him the benefit of the doubt. The acoustic room had the usual: mostly entry level Yamahas, Fenders, Ibanez. Some entry- and mid-level Seagulls, Breedloves, Martins, Taylors. The Taylors didn't go above the 400 series save for an 800 (814 or 816 I believe). And some Gibsons. I spotted one Epiphone Masterclass. They didn't have the "back acoustic room" like most GC's I've been to have, hence the lack of very high-end acoustics. I had a slight spell of GAS after I played a Seagull Entourage Mini Jumbo, which made me miss mine . Oh well, them's the brakes. I played some basses and the bass kid was really cool. A self-proclaimed "music geek" who seemed more interested in the gear itself and his customers rather than making a quick sale. About 5 salesmen total asked me if I needed assistance and struck up friendly small talk. I didn't really explore the electric guitars because I'm not really interested them -even though I play blues.

So on a scale of 1 to 10 I'll give my experience an 8 due to the lack of really high and acoustics and the noise level which seemed louder than most GC's. The best thing about the location is it's 10 minutes away from work and I can go there quickly if I need to.

Martin GPC 11E
Guild CV-1
Gibson L-00 Studio
Gretsch Jim Dandy
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 05-18-2013, 03:52 PM

Always a good idea for a musician to bring a set of ear plugs to the GC, especially when they're having an event. Protect your hearing.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:58 PM

I enjoy Guitar Center, maybe more than most because it's a family thing with us, my son, brothers and sisters in law, and a number nephews all shop at our local GC. I always make it a point to stop at out of town ones when I'm traveling. I've been to the Hollywood store several times, worth a road trip just to see the place. NO, I don't work for Guitar Center!
Old 05-18-2013, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
Always a good idea for a musician to bring a set of ear plugs to the GC, especially when they're having an event. Protect your hearing.

Yes, GC does have a constant noise level. My expeirences at GC where I live have been good. However, I recall one time where the store was absolutely quiet - except for one acoustic guitar playing. The event was a Taylor-sponsored event featuring Steven King, the fingerstyle player. When he started playing, the ENTIRE store just stopped doing whatever it normally does. Even the employees lined the walls, staring. It was incredible. Hehad people call out tune after tune - and on the spot, he would come up with an amazing fingerstyle rendition, if it wasnt already in his repertoire which is quite sizeable.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-18-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDaddy View Post
I enjoy Guitar Center, maybe more than most because it's a family thing with us, my son, brothers and sisters in law, and a number nephews all shop at our local GC. I always make it a point to stop at out of town ones when I'm traveling. I've been to the Hollywood store several times, worth a road trip just to see the place. NO, I don't work for Guitar Center!
I should add that I have 4 children all under that age of 7 so constant noise doesn't affect me too much!

My wife and daughter were in Boston about a year and a half ago, my daughter saw GC and insisted on going in to buy Daddy something! -It was a 12-pack of picks!

Martin GPC 11E
Guild CV-1
Gibson L-00 Studio
Gretsch Jim Dandy
Fishman Loudbox Mini

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
breedlove, gibson, guitar center, martin, taylor