The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-30-2020, 05:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Smile

Well, I'm glad if I can help, and hopefully further the cause of easier/happier/better music making.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 01-30-2020, 06:08 PM

I have been thanking James since I bought the Tonedexter when it first came out...

Yep, I have tortured that poor red box.

So I will thank James, again - I have my National (M14) with a Schatten reso pickup recommended by my guitar tech/luthier and the Schatten is good, passive piezo stick on to the cone....and a bit of a quacker.

Not so in my Tonedexter! Sounds great and sounds like a reso! Oh Happy Day! (it is quite easy to get a good wavefile on a resophonic guitar - that distictive tone is wavefilerized well.

Back in dim dark ages, I played solo reso guitar/vocal with just a Shure SM57 on the guitar.....sensational sound in some PAs and rooms, pure horror in other rooms

I haven't used my RezoDexter live but I am sure it would be a massive improvement on just a mic! Let's Rock!!!

So thanks again, James - keep it up!

BluesKing777..
Old 01-30-2020, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

wavefilerized? Like it, but I prefer “dexterized” -
Old 01-31-2020, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
Well, I'm glad if I can help, and hopefully further the cause of easier/happier/better music making.
You've been extremely helpful, answered more than one of my questions too.

One thing I've noticed, the longer I use the CH settings the more I have realized these are closer to how the guitar actually sounds (which is the whole idea of the TD).

It took my "ears" time to get on board, at first I was happier with the 70~90% blend setting. adding some amounts of the pickup sound.

But eventually, I started just use one of the CH* settings, and once I got used to that I prefer those settings most of the time.

It for sure helps it to stay more present in the mix if you set Character for blend if your using it in a live band situatoin, but when playing solo, or with other acoustics, I've come to appreciate the CH settings much more.
Old 01-31-2020, 06:48 AM

Yes, I have been heavily blending (at home), experimenting and frankly, the time is up as all the different pickups I have accumulated over the years are doing my head in! Blend 20% for K&K, 20% for ES2, 75% for passive Thinline/Fishman, 35 - 75% for Element....etc....

CH 0 for the next while!

AND I have experimented a little with the dual source Anthem and Maton systems by turning off the mic section and creating wavefiles of just the undersaddle piezos. Like them but not as much as the ‘real’ feel of the internal mics, but........could be handy on that dreaded ‘screaming feedback no matter what night’!

AND, I spoke to a friend from an old band with a mixer and PA. He lives in the country and winds his gear up a bit outside to test....mics and pickups and soon, a Tonedexter and other gear.

We did this before with my M80 and M1A pickups and his M1 and Anthem SL through our Baggs Align EQs and a Fishman Pro EQ.

BluesKing777.
Old 01-31-2020, 08:29 AM

BK aint it the truth

Maybe life would be easier with less guitars and less gear, but would not be nearly as much fun..
Old 01-31-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
BK aint it the truth

Maybe life would be easier with less guitars and less gear, but would not be nearly as much fun..

Less guitars and gear?

You’ll collapse the Internet with that kind of talk.:

For example, where I live has been thundery and the online weather says 92% humidity! The pretties and the delicates sound like they are made of plastic. As mentioned in another thread, the National resonators are all out! They don’t care about humidity much because their tops are steel or really fat wood laminates....sound comes from the cone/s.

I have wavefiles for all my resos and my faves are the National M14 file and an incredible file I made for my old 70s metal body Dobro using a Shure SM57, which I use to run live, as mentioned. Each guitar has a different pickup from various attempts over the years to electrify them....horrible quackery!

BluesKing777.
Old 02-23-2020, 12:21 AM
Charter Member

So I wanted to update this thread .... I did purchase an SE Electronics SE8 mic to use in “training” my tonedexter. HUGE difference. My 6 and 12 string Breedloves sound amazing with the tonedexter, I have not yet done my Emerald 12 string, but I did try my 12 string banjo (after I switched the firmware from GEN to HIGH) and even that was amazing to me. Well worth giving up my Grace Felix. Thanks again to everyone who provided information, especially James May
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification