The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-22-2020, 08:00 AM

Default Little Martin LXM loose neck ?

Good morning all! I just picked up a Martin LXM from a pawn shop for a pretty good price after negotiating.

Even after evaluation and being aware of a slight issue, I still chose to purchase it anyway.

So there seems to be a very slight neck separation in the area where the heel cap is. I can fit a single sheet of standard letter printer paper in between the neck and body. But it only goes in about 1 to 1.5 inches, so I'd say close to a 1/4 the way. From what I read this guitar uses a MT joint, using bolt and wood glue. So I assume it won't just snap right off. Nonetheless, the neck feels very sturdy and I don't see any budging, twisting, etc.

Is this a major concern? It may have been in this condition for awhile, but I have no idea. Either way I plan to do a setup as well asap.

Is adding appropriate glue and clamping it something I can do myself. Or is this an extensive procedure requiring a pro/luthier to do it? If this is even necessary.

I attached a photo I found on google as a reference. I appreciate anyone's help! Thanks!

Taylor 214ce(sold)
Guild D4-NT-HR(sold)
Martin HD28(sold)
Martin Custom 05 Java-DX(sold)
Martin LXM(sold)
Martin DRS2(Main)
Yamaha FG830(Beater)
Taylor GS-Mini-Hog(Traveler)

Last edited by Raf702; 01-22-2020 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:05 AM

So after I changed out the strings, cleaned it up. I also adjusted the truss rod accordingly, and now that gap is no longer. I'm not even able to get a piece of paper under there anymore.

Everything functions as it should, I even added a new bone saddle and lowered the action. Now the guitar sounds and feels significantly better.
Taylor 214ce(sold)
Guild D4-NT-HR(sold)
Martin HD28(sold)
Martin Custom 05 Java-DX(sold)
Martin LXM(sold)
Martin DRS2(Main)
Yamaha FG830(Beater)
Taylor GS-Mini-Hog(Traveler)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair