The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-25-2020, 08:16 PM

Default LR Baggs Anthem Problem

Hey forum! I’ve had an LR Baggs Anthem in my guitar for the past two months or so now, and have performed quite a few times with good results. However, the past two times I’ve played out on two different PA systems and both times I experienced a periodic distortion/static/crackling/reduced volume and tone problem that comes and goes. This is not cell phone disturbance. I played a gig tonight at the same venue and PA that I played at a month ago, and last time I had NO problems. I’ve played solo and in bands. The sound is affected for about a minute or more then returns to normal. I tried hitting the phase button to see if that would help but it doesn’t seem to make a difference.

I’m concerned! I’m planning on taking it back to the shop that installed it on Monday, but I wanted to see if anyone else has had similar issues?

And another question that I hope I don’t need to deal with, but has anyone removed an under saddle pickup system and replaced it with good results?
Old 01-25-2020, 08:26 PM

Battery?!?

Taking out a UST is easy. Remove the strings, saddle falls out. UST will come right out, no problem.
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 01-25-2020, 08:59 PM

The battery has plenty of juice left. They’re supposed to last an absurd number of hours plugged in based on what LR Baggs tells you anyway, and this one has about 8 hours of plugged in time since new.

Glad to hear that if it comes down to it I could remove the pickup without too much violence to my baby... 😬
Old 01-25-2020, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Hey Anodos,

Put in a known fresh battery, even if you only have a few hours on the one currently in there. It’s a cheap test, and will eliminate the battery as a potential issue.

If the problem does not go away, contact Baggs, and explain the issue to them.
If I understand you correctly, and the battery has been eliminated as a possible contributor, the preamp may be suspect. I had a similar issue on a new custom build, and indeed the problem was found to be the preamp. Baggs replaced the preamp for me, at no charge. They are a good company, and will take care of their customers. They really do want their customers to be pleased with their products.

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 01-25-2020, 09:20 PM

Thank you, Mark! I’ll give that a try. This is my first LR Baggs pickup, and with all the hype around the Anthem I’m surprised to have any issues but anything can happen. Here’s hoping it’s a simple fix!
Old 01-25-2020, 09:23 PM

If you have the full Anthem it could be one of the cables is not seated properly into the head unit by the sound hole. You could try removing and replugging each one. I would wiggle each one first while the guitar is plugged in to see if a guilty one self identifies with some noise.

If you have an SL, then the only logical conclusion is that it is defective and needs to be replaced. All of the SL cabling is soldered down to the endpin jack.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 01-26-2020, 05:51 AM

Maybe try a different guitar lead before you do full open heart surgery on it!

I was having a strange, intermittent problem, changed battery, ok for a while, then.....krrrrrrrrrr krrrrrrrrr....phooooooosh....etc.

Pulled my brand new guitar lead out of something else and used it with my Anthem guitar....fine now and since. I’m thinking my Anthem jack was getting loose when plugging in the worn very old guitar lead?

Bought another lead too!

BluesKing777.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

I had a similar issue with one of my Anthem SL pickups, three years or so after I got it. I had called Baggs in the past and knew one of the techs, so I called them up, told them the problem...

And they sent me an ENTIRE NEW UNIT, despite my not having a receipt or proof of purchase! If there's a way for them to help you, they will.

Given your unit is still fairly new, I'd call them and explain the problem.. see what they say.
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 01-26-2020, 12:49 PM

My tech couldn’t figure out a buzzy, distorted, noise coming from my Dual Source and Baggs had him send it to them. They repaired the issue and returned at no cost to me.

Fishman will barely reply to an email. Just sayin.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 01-26-2020, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
My tech couldn’t figure out a buzzy, distorted, noise coming from my Dual Source and Baggs had him send it to them. They repaired the issue and returned at no cost to me.

Baggs customer support is extraordinary. They replaced the Tru Mic in my Anthem SL system for free, and my system was two or more years old before it started to distort.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:52 AM

Well, I have now played my guitar through two different amps in different locations for extended periods of time and have not been able to replicate the weird sound disturbance I was experiencing. I called LR Baggs and they said that the next time it happens I should turn the volume down on the pickup and see if it disappears, as that would indicate that the problem is in the preamp or the pickup itself. If it doesn’t go away then it would be a problem from the preamp to the jack or beyond. Not being able to replicate the issue leaves me worried that there’s a problem lurking in there that may require drastic measures, BUT, after talking to several knowledgeable sound people the working conclusion we’ve reached is that I was probably experiencing electrical interference from within the venue. The venue was an old deli-turned-bar that has fluorescent lights, several fridges and freezers, old fans in the ceiling, neon signs on the wall, etc etc, all of which can cause sound disturbance. The fact that the volume dropped when I experienced the problem may also be a sign that something electrical kicked on in the venue that was drawing power and lessening the voltage in the PA system (or something like that). So HOPEFULLY the problem has nothing to do with the pickup. However, let it be known that LR Baggs was incredibly helpful over the phone. One ring and a real live person picked up and immediately handed me over to someone who talked through the problem and said to ask for him specifically once I try turning down the pickup volume next time I experience the disturbance. Whatever the problem shows itself to be they would fix it. Talk about customer service!

PS: Man oh man do I look forward to seeing how this pickup works together with the soon-to-be-released Soundscape pedal...
Old 02-06-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post

Interesting, I have had nothing but great experiences with Fishman's customer service. I believe the employee's name is Michael, but he has taken care of me more than a few times. Lr Baggs are great as well, I just haven't ever considered Fishman to be bad.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:56 PM

Do you leave a lead plugged in when you're not playing it? if you do then that will drain the battery.

Mark Twain
Old 09-12-2022, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anodos View Post
Hey forum! I’ve had an LR Baggs Anthem in my guitar for the past two months or so now, and have performed quite a few times with good results. However, the past two times I’ve played out on two different PA systems and both times I experienced a periodic distortion/static/crackling/reduced volume and tone problem that comes and goes. This is not cell phone disturbance. I played a gig tonight at the same venue and PA that I played at a month ago, and last time I had NO problems. I’ve played solo and in bands. The sound is affected for about a minute or more then returns to normal. I tried hitting the phase button to see if that would help but it doesn’t seem to make a difference.

I’m concerned! I’m planning on taking it back to the shop that installed it on Monday, but I wanted to see if anyone else has had similar issues?

And another question that I hope I don’t need to deal with, but has anyone removed an under saddle pickup system and replaced it with good results?
Hi,
I searched for a solution to this problem and came across your complaint.
I wanted to let you know that I sent an email to LR Baggs and they responded as follows:
"Do you know what kind of battery is in the guitar right now? I ask because I've seen a few cases now where bulk-packaged or "industrial grade" batteries like the Duracell Procell batteries actually cause a static discharge with the Anthem. It generally takes 10-15 minutes to kick in, and then it really doesn't stop distorting or crackling until you unplug it for a few minutes."

I was excited because that's exactly what was happening to me - the distortion issue kicked in after about 15 minutes of playing. Also, I was in fact using Procell batteries! I changed to a regular Duracell Copper Top and the issue stopped for me.

Just passing this along to for assistance to you and anyone else experiencing this issue.
Old 09-13-2022, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anodos View Post

My J200 came with an Anthem.

Had to send it back, the static pops that were going on with that thing were unbelievable. Just rub your arm across the top, when it was plugged in and it sounded like fire crackers were going off inside the guitar.

The second J200 was better, no static, but after about 6 months, the blend and volume wheels started sympathetic rattling when I'd play certain notes.

Which were picked up by the anthems mic and you could hear it unplugged.

Drove me mad,

I installed a Fishman Infinity in the J200 and haven't looked back

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification