The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-18-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
Thank you my friend. I watch your channel also! I keep repeating this but the JBL had the K&K in the mic input (wrong impedance) and no EQ. It was bound to sound ‘not great’. The S1 Pro is more ‘plug and play’. JBL should add more gain to the hi-z input and it would fix that issue immediately.

Does your daughter have a YouTube channel also? Would be great to jam sometime!
Redo your video. ;-)
Old 12-18-2019, 10:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Redo your video. ;-)
I will when there is a firmware update.

I actually don’t mind the sound of the JBL in the video. It’s just got a harsh mid range from the K&K that needs to be dialed out. That’s what EQ is for.
Old 12-18-2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
I will when there is a firmware update.

I actually don’t mind the sound of the JBL in the video. It’s just got a harsh mid range from the K&K that needs to be dialed out. That’s what EQ is for.
Well, you'll sell some Bose S1s with that video anyway. LOL.
Old 12-18-2019, 11:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, you'll sell some Bose S1s with that video anyway. LOL.
Not really sure why people don’t want to carry a preamp around. Just keep it in your guitar case.

Anyway I do think that JBL needs to optimize the firmware if they want to beat Bose.
Old 12-19-2019, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Not really sure why people don’t want to carry a preamp around. Just keep it in your guitar case.

Anyway I do think that JBL needs to optimize the firmware if they want to beat Bose.

I just meant that the Bose sounds SO much better in that video.
Old 12-19-2019, 06:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I just meant that the Bose sounds SO much better in that video.
I guess, but I think if they add more gain to the hi-z channel then that will change things.
Old 12-19-2019, 07:47 AM

Default JBL EON Compact Unboxing/Initial Review (Continuation)

Quote:
I guess, but I think if they add more gain to the hi-z channel then that will change things.

I think you’re right channel 3. It’s the only weakness I’ve found to this point.

Also, wasn’t the purpose of your video to determine max SPL by renting a rehearsal room? If so, you demonstrated that the JBL is capable of being louder, no? Your other videos were more for tone and effects comparison. Given the small amount of online content about this speaker I guess I’m not surprised folks are using that video for tone comparison too. I’m sure you would have EQd it in that case. Putting a K&K into the mic channel without EQ will sound exactly like it did in the video.

Thanks for the effort.

Last edited by martingitdave; 12-19-2019 at 08:04 AM.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I think you’re right channel 3. It’s the only weakness I’ve found to this point.

Also, wasn’t the purpose of your video to determine max SPL by renting a rehearsal room? If so, you demonstrated that the JBL is capable of being louder, no? Your other videos were more for tone and effects comparison. Given the small amount of online content about this speaker I guess I’m not surprised folks are using that video for tone comparison too. I’m sure you would have EQd it in that case. Putting a K&K into the mic channel without EQ will sound exactly like it did in the video.

Thanks for the effort.
I actually found the S1 to be around 3db louder.
Old 12-20-2019, 03:19 AM

Default JBL EON Compact Unboxing/Initial Review (Continuation)

Quote:
I actually found the S1 to be around 3db louder.

Ah, though I do think that’s within the margin of error for a test like that. For one, the speaker/array design is different for the two, which affects testing. The speaker mode and EQ are enough to change the performance by 3 dB on either system.

So, in my humble opinion, I suspect raw performance is probably a “wash.” That said, the quality of sound is personal and subjective, but totally critical to our enjoyment. Bose knows how to make stuff sound good to people. They also “bake” it into the cake with their predetermined EQ curves, tone match, innovative array design, etc.

JBL, on the other hand, used a traditional 2-way cabinet and put the kitchen sink in the digital mixer, giving the user complete control over the sound output of the box. They’re basically polar opposite design philosophies (and probably some intentional differentiation) to make a box for people like us.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:09 AM

Honestly, although I love the JBL and need it (because I need the Master EQ),
I think Bose S1 will still sell better than the JBL because all videos shows that:

With EQ flat, the Bose sounds better for a singer-guitarist.

That's what every customer is going experience in a shop.

Customer comes with his friends and plug in.
Customer to friend: "What do you think?"
Friend: "I like the Bose better"
Dealer: "Me too, the JBL sounds boxy, the Bose more open"
Customer to friend: "I wish the Bose had more features... but tone is the key factor, I'll take the Bose"

Somehow I feel using an angled midrange speakers array with a few hundred Hz crossover frequency favor clarity. Because the KHz range is not affected while removing the mud from the few hundred Hz range. Although the cost is the lack of punch (which lies in that frequency range)

Using a standard tweeter with kHz range crossover might make your sound punchier but muddier.

When you try in a shop, the audience will be more sensitive to clarity than punch.

my 2 cents,
Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 12-20-2019, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

Playing my Ovation Elite Plus Contour (Deep Bowl) with its Op Pro Studio preamp for the first time through my JBL EON ONE Compact sounds sweet--I mean sweet as in sweet. With a bit of added Bass via the slider on the Op Pro Studio preamp, and with the Drive and Expressor slides at their middle positions, the tone is full and balanced, and sweet. Although I'm playing the guitar amplified at home, I'd take this guitar anywhere for a live gig for its great tone and ease of usage. Hey, for $699 for this meticulously-crafted Korean-made Ovation, how can it get any better than this? I'm feeling left out, so, can someone help me complicate what I'm experiencing so I can twist dials and do this and do that for hours on end and pull my hair out in frustration? IMHO, Ovation got it right a long time ago when it comes to the amplification of acoustic guitars and brought it forward and made it better with their newest preamps.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 12-21-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-21-2019, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
IMHO, Ovation got it right a long time ago when it comes to the amplification of acoustic guitars and brought it forward and made it better with their newest preamps.
I am fortunate to play regularly with quality guitars Taylor/PRS etc and I totally agree Ovation is a cut above.
Old 12-21-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Playing my Ovation Elite Plus with its Op Pro Studio preamp for the first time through my JBL EON ONE Compact sounds sweet--I mean sweet as in sweet.
Granting your love of the Ovation, and given this thread's debate about the sound produced by the JBL, the question might be if you think the Eon One Compact produces a sound that enhances your Ovation, at the least doesn't get in the way, or is not as good as other amps in the same price range, i.e. the Bose S1. In other words, are you glad you got the JBL or would any other amp do just as well or better?l
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 12-21-2019, 09:35 AM

On the JBL Compact is phantom power available only on Channel 1? I'm considering a guitar preamp that can use phantom power and wondered if it could be powered only on that channel, and if so, considering the reported issues with Channel 3 (Hi-Z) is the Channel 1 option the better solution anyway?
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 12-21-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpa53 View Post
On the JBL Compact is phantom power available only on Channel 1? I'm considering a guitar preamp that can use phantom power and wondered if it could be powered only on that channel, and if so, considering the reported issues with Channel 3 (Hi-Z) is the Channel 1 option the better solution anyway?
Yes, phantom power is only sent through channel one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
compact, eon, jbl