The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-20-2019, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxo View Post
Sure I read somewhere on here ‘simple dovetail’ was a rather cheeky term for bolt on so that’s where I got that from. Not that I care that much so long as it sounds and plays good!
That is not correct. The simple dovetail only uses glue to hold it in place.

Unless you are insisting on a traditional/standard Martin line or some other manufacturer that also used that joint in their traditional models, you'll probably be looking at a different type of neck joint.
Old 12-20-2019, 07:39 AM

For me it would be Blueridge or Eastman .I own a br43 and it's my go to that i leave out of the case .Plus it has a big hole in it.I got it B-stock but it plays and sounds awesome.
Martin OMJM
Martin Jeff Daniels custom OM #33
Martin Eric Clapton Custom Signature
Martin CEO-7
Martin 0-18
Guild F65ce
Waterloo WL12 MH
Fender Stratocaster 1980 (American

My biggest fear is when i die my wife will sell my guitars for what I told her they cost
Old 12-20-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
United States Martin dealers can no longer ship out of the country.
Seriously? Why and since when was this policy implemented?

For sure, MFG has implemented this as I discovered just this minute. From their Term & Conditions page. "Continental U.S. Shipping Rates - WE DO NOT SHIP NEW MARTIN GUITARS OUT OF THE USA." Apparently I bought mine at a good time.

Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Old 12-20-2019, 09:06 AM

What other Dreads have you played?

If you've played a D-28 and you love Love LOVE a D-28, then you have to figure out what it is you love Love LOVE about a D-28.

I've yet to find a Dread I liked—00 and 000 are more my speed, but I can tell you that my fave so far was a 12-fret 00-18 slot head.

Used might be your best bet, and keep in mind Martins are highly individual. That's either "a consistency problem" or "one of the beautiful things about hand-built instruments," depending on how you feel such things.

Since this is a HUGE investment for you, be sure you get a guitar you REALLY LOVE, not just any random "Martin D-28."
Old 12-20-2019, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Foxo,

I have oen of the guitars that has been mentioned, an MMV. It is a Guitar Center product with a Custom Shop label. When I take it in for a set up the shop writes it up as "D-28 style" on the tag. It does not sound exactly like the D-28's I have played, but it is in that ballpark.

I have also played some Blueridges in the same style. They do not sound as close to a D-28 as an MMV. Not as much bass, and more shimmer. I liked it, but not a "Martiny" sound in my opinion.

The MMV has what some people call a narrow neck. It doesn't bother me, I have guitars with narrow and wider necks, but be aware if you are buying sight unseen. I bought it for strumming, but I can finger pick it, too. Right now I have it set up with medium strings, and I keep moving it in and out of different lowered tunings where it really shines.

Last edited by reeve21; 12-20-2019 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdkrugjr View Post
What other Dreads have you played?

If you've played a D-28 and you love Love LOVE a D-28, then you have to figure out what it is you love Love LOVE about a D-28.

I've yet to find a Dread I liked—00 and 000 are more my speed, but I can tell you that my fave so far was a 12-fret 00-18 slot head.

Used might be your best bet, and keep in mind Martins are highly individual. That's either "a consistency problem" or "one of the beautiful things about hand-built instruments," depending on how you feel such things.

Since this is a HUGE investment for you, be sure you get a guitar you REALLY LOVE, not just any random "Martin D-28."
I ended up getting an OM21. I preferred it to all the D28s I had played. Unfortunately didn’t notice a binding issue in the shop that I will probably need to get fixed, which is a pain, but it is what it is. The sound off the guitar is exactly what I was after though.

Old 12-20-2019, 09:27 AM

I was in the same boat, and then I found out that Gibson basically made a straight up direct competitor to the Martin D-28 or maybe more accurately the HD-28.

It's the Gibson J-60, and since I'm a fan of Gibson I thought I would give that a try. They weren't that popular, not too surprising, I got mine for around $1k.

It still has that Gibson sound to a degree, but it sounds great, and to be honest I think it will fit the slot of a full scale rosewood dread just fine. I'm sure I'd love a Martin, and I'm sure it would sound different, but would it add two thousand dollars worth to what I already have?

I figure not, so I think I'm good.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxo View Post
I ended up getting an OM21. I preferred it to all the D28s I had played....the sound off the guitar is exactly what I was after though.
Congratulations! How exciting! I hope it inspires all kinds of new ideas for you.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:55 AM

Red face

I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned a Taylor. They seem to be all the rage right now. My experience with a Taylor has been disappointing to say the least. I bought a 914e from Guitar Center and...well...I should have just bought a Martin. Obviously money was not an issue. I just thought it would be cool to have a Taylor to add to my collection. Hardly ever play it. Honestly I am probably just going to sell it. The "bling" is nice. It's a beautiful guitar just doesn't have the resonance and sound that I like.
Old 12-23-2019, 07:51 AM

I see a lot of responses suggesting MMV, which is a great guitar. I have the Custom DSR which is just like the MMV except satin finish and nickel tuners. They have been discontinued but I got mine used which was in mint shape (pick guard protective film was still on it) for $675. Poor man's D28
'00 Taylor Big Baby

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion