The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-14-2019, 04:34 PM
AGF Sponsor

When you upload a video to YouTube you have the option to add music. CD Baby and probably others provide music to this list. When the YouTuber uses one of your tunes you get paid a tiny bit. This money comes from the ad revenue.

Also, if a video already has my music on it by some bizarre happening then YouTube detects that track based on the list CD Baby provided. I get money for that too.

There is no “follow through” on my part from my YouTube channel or anything else except for having my music on CD Baby.

Classification means genre and mood. “Bluesy”, “acoustic guitar”, “moody”, “exciting”, etc. it’s the same way a music supervisor would find your music for a scene.

The quarterly sync royalty report from CD Baby does not name the YouTube videos that use my music. Only that YouTube paid for x number of uses of a certain track.

To put this into perspective YouTube has so many videos that a number like 8,000 videos is not even a drop in the bucket. If those 8,000 videos got only 1,000 plays each there’s your 8,000,000. It could be that 8,000,000 videos got made about how bad my music is and each got played once.

I’ve also spent a lot of time trying to figure out which of my tracks do the best. There is no rhyme or reason to it. I originally thought there was a name recognition confusion that was helping me. I have hard evidence that that is not the case but I don’t want to get into that.
Old 11-14-2019, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDWilliams View Post
When you upload a video to YouTube you have the option to add music. CD Baby and probably others provide music to this list. When the YouTuber uses one of your tunes you get paid a tiny bit. This money comes from the ad revenue.

Also, if a video already has my music on it by some bizarre happening then YouTube detects that track based on the list CD Baby provided. I get money for that too.

There is no “follow through” on my part from my YouTube channel or anything else except for having my music on CD Baby.

Classification means genre and mood. “Bluesy”, “acoustic guitar”, “moody”, “exciting”, etc. it’s the same way a music supervisor would find your music for a scene.

The quarterly sync royalty report from CD Baby does not name the YouTube videos that use my music. Only that YouTube paid for x number of uses of a certain track.

To put this into perspective YouTube has so many videos that a number like 8,000 videos is not even a drop in the bucket. If those 8,000 videos got only 1,000 plays each there’s your 8,000,000. It could be that 8,000,000 videos got made about how bad my music is and each got played once.

I’ve also spent a lot of time trying to figure out which of my tracks do the best. There is no rhyme or reason to it. I originally thought there was a name recognition confusion that was helping me. I have hard evidence that that is not the case but I don’t want to get into that.
Thanks for the info. For a time I had CDBaby involved with my youtube stuff but they were interfering with somethings I wanted to do with them so I dropped the connection with them. I will have to review with them the details of the synch arrangement though I would not expect much interest in solo guitar recordings.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 11-14-2019, 07:20 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Thanks for the info. For a time I had CDBaby involved with my youtube stuff but they were interfering with somethings I wanted to do with them so I dropped the connection with them. I will have to review with them the details of the synch arrangement though I would not expect much interest in solo guitar recordings.
The sync money is collected through SoundExchange. It might have changed recently but I had to give them a spreadsheet of all my tunes with the ISRCs etc. CD Baby might be doing all of that now but maybe you can go direct to SoundExchange.

Do pursue this even for solo guitar recordings. I am constantly surprised what tracks of mine seem popular. The solo stuff will make money.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDWilliams View Post
The sync money is collected through SoundExchange. It might have changed recently but I had to give them a spreadsheet of all my tunes with the ISRCs etc. CD Baby might be doing all of that now but maybe you can go direct to SoundExchange.

Do pursue this even for solo guitar recordings. I am constantly surprised what tracks of mine seem popular. The solo stuff will make money.
Thanks again. I will look into SoundExchange.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 11-15-2019, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

i also see synch payments from cd baby/you tube. I asked cd baby once if there was any way to know where tunes were being used and they said that they were curious too -, but that you tube provided no info. Itd be fun to know...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD