The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-14-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWW View Post
Interesting that it has the "Traditional" Headstock but not Bridge Truss System.
Yeah -- the Concert size is the only instrument in the Oregon line without the bridge truss system.

Folks are telling me that the way instruments are configured differently across series, American/import, etc. is kind of confusing. I would tend to agree.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:46 PM

I will have to look for one of these. I have only played one of the models made in China but was very impressed. A light touch produced lots of volume and beautiful sustain. Not one Oregon series guitar in any of the stores near me.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
I will have to look for one of these. I have only played one of the models made in China but was very impressed. A light touch produced lots of volume and beautiful sustain. Not one Oregon series guitar in any of the stores near me.
I had played some of the imported Breedloves, and frankly nothing had that sound of "the annointed one" like the C20-SMYR that I found did. All decent guitars though.

Breedlove imports are a cut above a lot of the other imports, as are, I think, the Eastmans. For a decade or so I have opted for domestic instruments just because of value retention, patriotism and, I suppose, ego. But it is becoming clear that for sheer tone and playability, you can do alright with an import these days. moreso than in past years. Yeah, there have always been Yamahas, etc. I owned some of them -- all decent, but not much all solid wood, and the tone was kind of servicable. Now, you pick a nice Eastman off the wall and darn it, if it doesn't punch well above its weight.

That being said, the Oregon Series is obviously named for the home state, so they are making hay out of the fact that it is domestic. Not sure how this positions them against the American line, with the exception that the Oregon series relies mostly on woods from the Pacific Northwest. Including the myrtle, which I think is one of the real keystones to what people will really dig about these guitars.

Last edited by HAMFIST; 12-15-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:06 PM

Default Owner of #2 of 24

Hi,

Like the original poster, I was not looking for a guitar, but this guitar was looking for me I already owned a C20-SMYe (normal spruce/myrtlewood, no sunburst) but have always wanted a sunburst as this is a family heirloom guitar. So I "upgraded" (mine's for sale). Beautiful guitar - looks and sounds! Mine has an ebony headstock and the fishman UST (not iMix - I wish).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
breedlove, c20 smye, c20 smyr, limited edition