The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-28-2013, 01:44 PM

Default New Breedlove C25CREH WC or used Breedlove Focus 2005?

Hi

Just looking for opinions in which I these you would go for. One thing I'm conscious of is that the American has the active element pick up and the focus has the imix. The new American Series is $300 more.

All tips and first hand personal knowledge welcome!

Bob
Old 05-28-2013, 02:15 PM

imix is more versatile if you play out a lot. You can mix dual sources pick. The Focus is considered a Master Class Guitar, so generally more bells and whistles, higher grade wood and so on. If the warranty means anything to you...go new.

I own lots of Breedloves, if you have played both, which one do you like more.

Jay
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobWG View Post
Hi

Just looking for opinions in which I these you would go for. One thing I'm conscious of is that the American has the active element pick up and the focus has the imix. The new American Series is $300 more.

All tips and first hand personal knowledge welcome!

Bob
Old 05-28-2013, 02:22 PM

You can't go wrong with either but I lean towards the Focus since I have one. As long as it's in good shape.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:12 PM

Someone told me the Focus is more for finger pickers and is not so good with hard strumming. Would you say there is anything in that? I'm lookin for one that will work with both styles.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:34 PM

Focus no doubt.

If you have a new American Series priced higher than a used Focus either the American series is overpriced, or the Focus is underpriced.

I tend to trend used anyway, as long as the instrument is in good condition I'm happy to let someone else take the depreciation hit.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 05-28-2013, 07:46 PM

Last edited by tomana; 06-29-2013 at 12:37 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomana View Post
I have a 2007 Breedlove Pro C25/CRH (60% American / 40% Korean body parts assembled in Bend, OR). Very happy with it, super low action and what was posted earlier is correct - it doesn't like hard strumming because the action is set so low (came with 2 saddle shims (not installed). Like many acoustics, it's usually a trade off between very low action and hard strumming. What I've noticed is, when hard strumming who's gonna hear the fret buzz? Any who, I'm guessing this is what you might be hunting for ...

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...reedlove+focus

Except for the difference in fingerboard inlays, IMO the Focus and the Pro C25/CRH are almost the same; all solid wood top/back/sides, ebony fingerboard with same fingerboard trim and the C25/CRH is Grade AAA Cedar top, Grade AAA Rosewood back and sides. I'm not sure of the Focus series uses AAA grade wood.

You might find a used Pro C25/SRH or CRH in very good condition for $1000 or less with original Breedlove case but seems they don't surface too often. The American Series was the replacement for the Pro Series

If I had the funds I'd splurge for a used Breedlove focus SE though either model you mentioned will be sure to please even the most discriminating musician
I have the same Pro series guitar with a medium seup and handles strumming pretty well but remember cedar top can actually get louder faster than spruce but flattens out where spruce can keep on going....typically.

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200
Old 06-13-2013, 06:57 PM

Default Done

Took the C25 back and went for the Focus. Got it for $1350 which left me with $350 to get a DI box. Fishman or L R Baggs I wonder?

Thanks for the tips and advice - Breedlove themselves told me to go buy the used Focus. There's a genuine piece of advice for you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
breedlove