The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-07-2012, 01:58 AM

Default 'File' marks on my frets... return or repair?

I have a new guitar (bought via the internet) which has little score lines on some of the frets, which, if I was bending the A/B strings, would grate somewhat. They're not deep and they look like bad filing.

Is this a simple job of filing down those areas smooth, or should I return the guitar? A return and replacement or refund is no problem.

I won't say what brand it is, or where I bought it, because in all other respects I like both the manufacturer and the dealer, so I don't want to add any adverse publicity for them. I have contacted both, however, to pull them up on QC.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Very Slow Hand View Post
I have a new guitar (bought via the internet) which has little score lines on some of the frets, which, if I was bending the A/B strings, would grate somewhat. They're not deep and they look like bad filing.

Is this a simple job of filing down those areas smooth, or should I return the guitar? A return and replacement or refund is no problem.

I won't say what brand it is, or where I bought it, because in all other respects I like both the manufacturer and the dealer, so I don't want to add any adverse publicity for them. I have contacted both, however, to pull them up on QC.
Here we go: I lost count of how many times I played brand new guitars, primarily Gibson & Guild, where that exact situation existed.

I'm not sure I would refer to them as 'file marks', but the frets were far from polished. The 'grating sound' absolutely existed, and the more I would bend and play the strings, the more they disappeared.

If the guitar was less than $500, I would not say a word. If the sound bothers you then take off the strings, get a very fine Scotchbrite pad, and start rubbing..........or not. You can just play them in.

Yes, they should not be there, but time is profit margin.

Next time you'll ask over the phone whether or not the frets were polished from the factory, and ask the salesman to bend the high strings to listen for scratching noise. Then you'll have an issue when it's not so.

Play and enjoy it!

HE
Old 04-07-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post

Next time you'll ask over the phone whether or not the frets were polished from the factory, and ask the salesman to bend the high strings to listen for scratching noise.
I guess I got what I paid for... the guitar was from a 'warehouse' in Germany, no sales people to speak of, but the savings are big enough (typically 60% of UK prices, with no additional duty) to justify a little work at this end.

I'm somewhat surprised that, in the first place, this well known American brand is letting guitars out of their Chinese factory with such obvious defects.

Anyway, thanks for letting me know it's not such an unusual occurrence.

I'll get my file out!
Old 04-07-2012, 03:04 PM

Keep it. Roll some 600 grit sandpaper around a handkerchief wrapped around a pencil. Use this parallel to the frets the length of the finger board so it bumps over the frets, gently rocking the pencil from side to side each new stroke to take account for the radius. Repeat with 800 and 1000 grit. Then finish with a find Scotch bright pad. A touch of fingerboard oil for 5 minutes, rub the excess off with a cotton ball or rag. Then you should be good to go.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 04-08-2012, 06:18 AM

Thanks. I've got some spare Grover 18:1 Sta-tites to go on it too. Two little jobs once the strings are ready for changing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair