The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-29-2020, 03:14 PM

Default Affordable All Solid Classical

I'd like some recommendations for the most affordable all solid classical guitars. I've seen Doff guitars, but there aren't enough people that know about them and have reviews of them.
MLJ Parlor #27 / Eastman E2-CD / Silvertone 604 / Egmond 60's parlor / Journey OF660 / Martin Custom D / Santa Cruz D Pre War / Doff Classical / Takamine 12
Old 10-29-2020, 05:18 PM

I highly recommend the Cordoba C9. Fantastic guitar with outstanding bang-for-the-buck value.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:37 PM
Guest 928

Check out Kremona.
Old 10-29-2020, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogsnax View Post
I highly recommend the Cordoba C9. Fantastic guitar with outstanding bang-for-the-buck value.
Any thoughts on cedar vs. spruce?
Old 10-29-2020, 09:15 PM

Quote:
I remember Cordoba standing out, the last time I looked, because they install truss rods. I know nylon strings have much less tension than steel, but I still like having the peace of mind.
MLJ Parlor #27 / Eastman E2-CD / Silvertone 604 / Egmond 60's parlor / Journey OF660 / Martin Custom D / Santa Cruz D Pre War / Doff Classical / Takamine 12
Old 10-30-2020, 12:47 AM

Guitar Squatch....

Define affordable? Is that I still have a mortgage and car payment affordable? Or, I carry around the same pocket change that Jeff Bezos does and always fly first class affordable?

For a good all solid wood (back, sides, top). You can find an affordable one anywhere between $1000 up to $20,000.

But all joking aside. Cordoba's are nice. I have an all solid wood C10-Parlor that is very playable and sounds sweet. It's has a solid rosewood back and sides, solid cedar top. I prefer cedar for it's warmth (tone). It has a mahogany neck (with truss) and an ebony fret board. I was amazed as to the fit and finish too. Came to me with no need of hoofing over to the luthier I always go to to make adjustments to the action. I use this one primarily for daily practicing. I also own a real sweet Burguet 2M. Have had that one since 96 and it's my favorite. No Truss rod.. so well made is doesn't need one. But it's a full 4/4 not a 7/8 and the nut is a little wider too.

To be told there are many out there that are nice. I myself tend to like the rosewood bodies. But there are some "Black and White" ebony bodies that are stunning to look at. Can't say how they sound since I have never held one. But it too is a very hard wood and will probably project as well as rosewood.
Old 10-30-2020, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbflat View Post
Any thoughts on cedar vs. spruce?
I personally prefer cedar. There's something about the C9 that makes it special, cedar or spruce. I've also owned a C10 and C12 in years past and I much preferred the C9 over both of those guitars.
Old 10-30-2020, 02:39 PM

Quote:
I personally prefer cedar. There's something about the C9 that makes it special, cedar or spruce. I've also owned a C10 and C12 in years past and I much preferred the C9 over both of those guitars.
I prefer cedar tops too. My main dreadnaught is cedar, and my cousin's main guitar is a double top cedar with rosewood s/b classical and it is amazing. I don't have $5k+ lying around so one of those is out of the question.
Old 10-30-2020, 05:36 PM
Guest 928

I have ordered a Kremona S63CW at what is a very reasonable price for an all wood guitar: $869. The really cool thing is that I able to change the top from cedar to spruce, to eliminate the electronics, and to pick out the rosette of my choice.

I had never heard of Kremona until someone on this forum mentioned the maker and when I started looking I was amazed. This company has a long tradition of fine instruments at reasonable prices.
Old 10-30-2020, 08:20 PM

The La Patrie Presentation looks too good to pass up. The street price for those are only about $500
Old 11-25-2020, 07:59 PM

The Cordoba C9 is all solid wood construction, and I just checked Sweetwater and their price is $900. Hope this helps.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:42 AM

Various of the Kenny Hill models depending on budget and various models of the LaPatrie. I have had one of each for years.

Jon
Old 11-26-2020, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

I have a nice, minty Alhambra 9P cedar that I would part with. PM me for pics and price

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical