The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-25-2020, 01:39 AM
Charter Member

Default Newtone strings

Sigh, another string thread.

Per the "which string do you prefer" thread a lot of people seemed to like the newtone masterclass phosphor bronze.

I'm usually a ext16, d'addario pb light player.

Those gauges are .012, .016 (plain steel) , .024, .032, .042, .053. (phosphor bronze wound)

When I go to look for lights in the masterclass single wound .. they consider their lights
.011, .015, .22, .30, .40, .50

In your guys opinion, is the composition of the masterclass different that the smaller gauges are part of the design?

I'm also very interested in their double wound pbs ... They have a 12-52 set.
012.016. 024. 032. 042. 052

Has anybody experienced both the original and the double wound? What is your takeaway?
'20 Guild F150ce
'12 Guild D150ce
'95 Santa Cruz OM (Braced identical to OM/PW)
'20 Takamine E360S-TT
Takamine EG544SC
Seagull Original S6
Seagull Entourage Mini-Jumbo
Yamaha FG830
'20 Yamaha LJ16
'20 Furch Red Pure Gc-SR
'20 Recording King RD-328
Old 11-25-2020, 02:24 AM

I have used both extensively and would say that the 12-54 is my go to light gauge in Newtone. I prefer the slightly brighter masterclass (not double wound) but that very much depends on your guitar and preferences - certainly the single wound is closer to the D’addario than the much warmer double wound.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 11-25-2020, 03:31 AM
Charter Member

I never take any notice of manufacturers’ descriptors such a ‘light’, ‘medium’, etc. One manufacturer’s descriptor can differ from another’s even though the gauges are exactly the same.

I always select string sets on the basis of gauges so I look for 12-16-24-34-44-53 or 54, irrespective of what ‘name’ the set has been given by the manufacturer.

If you check out the Newtone website, Masterclass strings are sold by string-gauges, they don’t describe their sets as ‘light’, ‘medium’, etc., and in a choice of materials. So you can easily purchase your preferred gauges. They also take orders for ‘custom’ sets, according to the buyer’s requirements.

https://newtonestrings.com/shop/mast...stic-6-string/

Newtone are a small, two-man business, operating out of a small industrial unit in an English Midlands town and, as such, they can offer a flexibility and convenience that large manufacturers probably can’t match.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 11-25-2020, 07:06 AM

I’m using the Newtone PB custom set 13-17-22-31-42-55 on my J15.
These are my selected gauges after some experimentation. The result is best described to my ears as a J45 “light” .
Nice and full on the bottom but no thump, less brashy in the mids and more chime on top.
I love what this guitar sounds like.
Newtone has a pretty strong following of folks on the forum.
BTW, I always order direct from the factory. My last order only took a little over a week to get here from the UK.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 11-25-2020, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

I seem to remember that the gauge descriptions differ between UK and US makers.

I've seen this issue before. UK (or European?) lights sometimes seem to equate to US "extra-lights".

Rotosound list 11-52 as lights, 12-54 as "medium light, but 13-56 as mediums.

I don't know why there are (or were) differences, but I believe this was common way back into the '60s when I first started buying strings.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:07 AM

I too don't look at what the packet says regarding light, med, etc etc, I always put on Newtone 12-54's p/b, until i tried his Monels in the same gauge which i absolutely love as much as the p/b's, so now i have two options from Newtone!!
Old 11-25-2020, 11:30 PM
Charter Member

Default Thanks for the advice

I went off the chart that was provided by 12fret.com
Tone.jpg

That is where I was getting my info in regards to the gauges vs 'category'.

I think I might try the 12-54's.

Thanks for the advice.

These will be going on primarily spruce\engleman\adirondack topped rosewood guitars so, hopefully it will bring me joy.

Not to turn this into a therapy session but im going through a guitar funk, I have a bunch of nice stuff to play, got laid off so have plenty of time to play and I look at my guitars and just have no inspiration. So - Hopefully a new set of strings and changing things up will unfunkify me haha.

Edit: I ordered 3 Masterclass regular PB's 12-52's and 3 double wound PB 12-52's.
'20 Guild F150ce
'12 Guild D150ce
'95 Santa Cruz OM (Braced identical to OM/PW)
'20 Takamine E360S-TT
Takamine EG544SC
Seagull Original S6
Seagull Entourage Mini-Jumbo
Yamaha FG830
'20 Yamaha LJ16
'20 Furch Red Pure Gc-SR
'20 Recording King RD-328

Last edited by goodry; 11-26-2020 at 01:24 AM.
Old 11-26-2020, 01:12 AM
Charter Member

Huge Newtone Fan.
Definitely go by gauges of each string and not what a company labels the set. And as others suggested you can also order custom gauges at no extra cost. This is what I do. Custom Gauges might take a bit longer to receive...but well worth the time.
When comparing Newtones to other strings...remember that Newtones Masterclass are round core. Round core have about 3% less tension. On top of that, round core are easier to bend, thus, they are also easier to depress. This is one that took me a while to truly understand, but you can still have the same tension and be easier to depress because of the Round core structure. Think of it this way, Hex is stronger than Round. Thus Round core are easier to depress while still having the same tension.
If you want inspiration...Newtone might just be the string to give it to you.
And here is the reason why:
Round core's Keep up their initial plucked volume for a longer time than Hex cores. While this is different than Sustain....its apparent effect is similar to sustain. Notes might appear to be fatter, fuller and sustain longer.
Old 11-26-2020, 01:18 AM
Charter Member

Several years ago I moved from D’Addarios and Martin SPs to Newtone, which I now use exclusively on seven guitars. I bought roughly the same gauges across all brands and ignored the descriptors such as light and medium. D’Addario and Martin make nice strings but for me the Newtones have a sound I really like.

I’ve used the Newtone PBs on several different guitars and recently - for a lockdown treat - I tried the double wound on one guitar. Compared with the PBs I’d say the double wound are more balanced across the strings, a tad warmer (bit less of the high trebles) and a tad quieter. It will vary from guitar to guitar but on the guitar I have them on at present they sound absolutely amazing! Very pleased I tried them.

I’d also give thumbs up to Newtone’s Heritage (low tension) strings, and their baritone strings, but I haven’t been overjoyed with the Masterclass 80/20s (or any other 80/20s for that matter). Again, it varies from guitar to guitar.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:21 AM

As has been noted, people like different sounds. The last Newtone order I had I went from PB to 8020 and love the sound. Its cool to be able to select different sizes and wrap material, truly custom. My truly custom guitars like them,.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion