The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-05-2009, 07:29 PM

I enjoyed his music, my wife didn't.
I think what I want to hope for is that he gets a chance to make his living from playing music.
Remember Richard Smith? When he was twelve he could play Chet's tunes "better"than Chet . He did not become the next Chet Atkins as some predicted, but he has made a good living and enjoys tons of respect from the music community.
Who could want more?
I also worry some promoter will stick him in a pigeon hole that he can't get out of. I have seen it happen alot in the classical music scene. They are always so hungry for the next child prodigy to titillate the listeners, then they toss them to the side like an empty beer can and go looking for the next.
So good wishes Smokin Joe, I hope you can surpass your heroes.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:33 PM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay B. View Post
There is another boy on the net who is twelve now, but even at 6 he could play hardball with the big boys. But his fingers aren't long enough yet to see what he can really do.
I think the "problem" with prodigies such as Sungha (the 12-year-old you mentioned) is not so much with technique (what they can play) but with expression (how they play it). And that's not something that can be learned simply through endless hours of practice, if indeed it can be learned at all. I suspect many who watch Sungha's videos have not heard the original renditions of the artists he emulates.

He might get there one day. But not yet
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 05-05-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmaak View Post
I think the "problem" with prodigies such as Sungha (the 12-year-old you mentioned) is not so much with technique (what they can play) but with expression (how they play it). And that's not something that can be learned simply through endless hours of practice, if indeed it can be learned at all. I suspect many who watch Sungha's videos have not heard the original renditions of the artists he emulates.

He might get there one day. But not yet
I'm glad to see you post that. I get the same feeling watching his videos. Comparing them to the original is quite telling. I reckon he'll get there sooner rather than later. I have the same suspicion as well.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:14 PM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevelman View Post
I'm glad to see you post that. I get the same feeling watching his videos. Comparing them to the original is quite telling. I reckon he'll get there sooner rather than later. I have the same suspicion as well.
Hi Gerry,

I actually feel inclined to say what I just did everytime someone fawns over a Sungha video, but fear that my comments will be misinterpreted as "kid bashing"

Of course, people could be more impressed by the "entertainment" value of such videos rather than their "musical/artistic" value, in which case I have no arguments
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 05-05-2009, 09:04 PM

Default Sungha and Joe Robinson

I wouldn't mix the two of them together, personally. Joe is far more entertaining from what I have seen. He has original material that is good and he has charisma. Sungha is good, but far from great. He doesn't groove it quite like the greats do. He'll probably get there eventually, though.

He has a tremendous following. Nearly any fingerpicker out there with a video has someone from Sungha's camp saying that Sungha is better than them. It is quite silly. Within two days of me posting my first video, I had someone telling me how wonderful Sungha is. Then, as I watch other players, I see "Sungha is the best" comments on almost all of them. It turns me off to the guy, quite frankly. Almost as if his fame is contrived and not earned.
Fingerpickers: Pat Donohue, Bob Evans, Tommy Emmanuel, Stephen Bennett, Masa Sumide, Eric Lugosch, Martin Taylor, Joe Pass, Jacques Stotzem, Laurence Juber, Rolly Brown, Tuck Andress, Ted Greene, Woody Mann

Rockers: Paul Gilbert, Joe Satriani, Guthrie Govan, Richie Kotzen, Joey Tafolla, Blues Saraceno, Andy Timmons

www.myspace.com/serikulus
www.youtube.com/fingerpickerguy
Old 05-05-2009, 09:44 PM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerpickerguy View Post
I wouldn't mix the two of them together, personally. Joe is far more entertaining from what I have seen. He has original material that is good and he has charisma.
Hi fingerpickerguy. I wasn't implying that Joe was in the same category as Sungha. Sorry if I didn't clarify that in my post, which was more of a response to Jay B's comments. But I do maintain that the best players (as opposed to entertainers) have a certain intangible "something" that may or may not be attained through "nurture"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerpickerguy View Post
He has a tremendous following. Nearly any fingerpicker out there with a video has someone from Sungha's camp saying that Sungha is better than them. It is quite silly. Within two days of me posting my first video, I had someone telling me how wonderful Sungha is. Then, as I watch other players, I see "Sungha is the best" comments on almost all of them. It turns me off to the guy, quite frankly. Almost as if his fame is contrived and not earned.
Yeah, it's more than a little disturbing when people start to think of music as a competitive spectator sport
Transcriptions

Old 05-06-2009, 01:22 AM

In any case, I'm going to watch Joe Robinson in concert on Thursday next week
Old 05-06-2009, 01:30 AM
The Foreigner

Quote:
We expect a report, of course
Transcriptions

Old 05-06-2009, 02:16 AM

Quote:
I don't know if you noticed my post above, but I'm seeing him this coming Saturday night in Katoomba NSW.

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues
Old 05-06-2009, 05:05 AM

Wow, definitely gifted! At 16, I could strum chords and scratch out a little blues lead...40 years later, I, errr, still strum chords! This kid is already miles ahead of me! I suspect that either he'll get bored and self-destruct by the time he is 25, or he will embrace this gift and become one of the top known guitarists by that age! He certainly has the potential!

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)

Last edited by Bob1131; 05-07-2009 at 08:49 AM.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:57 PM

He's amazing.

I think there's a tendency on internet forums (like this one) for certain people to judge - based on a lot of things other than just "is it good?"

A lot of jealousy comes into play (sadly), as well as resentment (that kid is better than me and I could be his father!)....etc

There's a lot of testosterone on these forums, remember that.

Could it be better if it was slowed down a little? Sure. But its still incredible.

The kid is absolutely genius. End of story.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:12 PM

Bullsprig,

I believe you've nailed it and written what I've been reticent to put down due to my 'newbie' status.

Cheers.

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues
Old 05-06-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluezOldy View Post
I don't know if you noticed my post above, but I'm seeing him this coming Saturday night in Katoomba NSW.
in that case, you can post the first report
Old 05-06-2009, 07:45 PM

2 players in completely different places in life. How can there be any real comparison made? Was Tommy this good at 16? Will this kid be famous at Tommy's age? Both are exceptional players. That's about the most that should be said as far who is "better" IMO.

Last edited by 66strummer; 05-06-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66strummer View Post
2 players in completely different places in life. How can there be any real comparison made? Was Tommy this good at 12? Will this kid be famous at Tommy's age? Both are exceptional players. That's about the most that should be said as far who is "better" IMO.

Well said Strummer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell