The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-09-2021, 08:40 AM

Your observations all make sense. I play no fingernails fingerstyle, and so I am sure I am driving the output levels less. That might explain why I hear no “buzz” or output distortion of any sort.

I actually kind of like the slight bit of magnetic “jazzbox sound” of the Schertler.

Regarding the cork pads: I’ve noticed that the Schertler S-Mic is almost completely immune to mechanical coupled sound. You can barely even hear yourself touching the mic, and I can’t hear any sound at all from touching the pickup. This is probably why they didn’t find the extra pads necessary.

My only complaint with the AG6/S-mic is the background self noise, which I don’t notice at all live and can fix in recordings. I believe that is also exacerbated by the low output level of my playing style.

As you note, it is very much a personal preference thing, and a matter of how a particular pickup suits or doesn’t suit your style. The AG6/S-mic pickup very much suits my fingernail free jazzy pop style of playing and my aesthetic of what a guitar sounds like, but the exact things that I like about it could be deal killers with another playing style and set of ears. I would be very satisfied with the REB if I didn’t have the AG6.

I have really enjoyed this discussion. I expect you will be very happy with the REB and the choice that you made.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

I went thru a few AG-6's and fought cut-outs, buzz etc. Schertler said
that 2 that I sent back to Switzerland for repair had 'damaged input
connections. This happens when the input plug is not inserted
perpendicular to the jack and forcing it quickly in the socket can
damage the contacts'. (quote from Schertler).

After diagnosing the problem, Schertler sent me a new one. btw, the
Schertler team was very good to work with thru the process. I enjoyed using
the new one for a few months with no problems. I eventually switched
to a Sunrise. To potential users, 'carefully' install the input plug
and S-Mic.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
fishman rare earth blend, magnetic, pickup fuzz, schertler