The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-04-2023, 11:02 AM

Default Struggling with this Brouwer etude 13

This is in the Estudios Sencillio XIII. I'm finding the ten bars starting at 22 are difficult. These two lines give the idea

Apart from all the stretching, sustaining the G# bass while playing the rhythm part without my finger that's fretting the G# interfering with the 5th string is ... something I am yet to accomplish.

I know this etude was designed in part as a workout to help us develop left hand skills like this, so it's supposed to be hard. I guess I'm just here to share my struggle with y'all.

In this video you can see what's happening between 0:15 and 0:35

Bradford Werner doesn't seem stressed by this section, does he?
Old 08-04-2023, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

I'd rather slam my finger in a car door than play that etude

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 08-04-2023, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Just keep working on it until you can do it. Plenty of things work themselves out.
Hint is to hang the tip of ring finger partially beyond the edge of the fretboard.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 08-04-2023 at 08:15 PM.
Old 08-05-2023, 03:00 PM

It's a fabulous piece, just like all of them, and is much more rewarding than just a study.

I suggest playing with a capo at the 5th fret - the problems you are encountering will be diminished and the LH is always more comfortable when positioned closer to the body. After a week or so, lower to 4th, then a week later, 3rd etc.

Eventually the first position will be a doddle and stretches more achievable.

Dampening the 5th string will be reduced if the 3rd finger frets the string head-on, i.e. at a right angle to the fingerboard. This is only achievable if you bend the wrist slightly, this is a compromise and not advised (straight wrists are always aimed for) but necessary to clear dampening the fifth string.

Good luck.
Jonny
Old 08-06-2023, 09:15 PM

Yep, that looks and sounds like a challeng!
Old 08-07-2023, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnymosco View Post
It's a fabulous piece, just like all of them, and is much more rewarding than just a study.

I suggest playing with a capo at the 5th fret - the problems you are encountering will be diminished and the LH is always more comfortable when positioned closer to the body. After a week or so, lower to 4th, then a week later, 3rd etc.

Eventually the first position will be a doddle and stretches more achievable.

Dampening the 5th string will be reduced if the 3rd finger frets the string head-on, i.e. at a right angle to the fingerboard. This is only achievable if you bend the wrist slightly, this is a compromise and not advised (straight wrists are always aimed for) but necessary to clear dampening the fifth string.
Thanks Jonny,

The capo does make it easier. Interesting idea. Thanks for that. It makes playing the 12th fret harmonic chord harder but that's ok.

And yes, I agree, it's a swell piece. Brouwer has a way of combining the essence of the instrument with a musical innovation that's so satisfying. And they offer a lot of space for artistic musical invention on the part of the player, so long as I back away from the technical show off goal and try something else. For example I have found for example Nuevos Estudios Sencillos X Omaggio a Stravinsky works great played in a Delta blues style with a shuffle swing and lots of string bends in the bass.

Tom

Last edited by thefsb; 08-07-2023 at 05:29 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical