The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-12-2021, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Yeah it’s a very nicely built instrument. Read a lot about it, how PRS managed to make a USA built line, and keep it so affordable. There really isn’t much separating this guitar from a core PRS for less than half the price. The pickups are like you said, but they’re better known as the JB and Jazz. I was just practicing economy typing. [emoji23]

And your guitar sounds lovely. Thanks for posting!
I bet that set sounds great in that guitar! Post some clips when you get the time I would love to hear it!
Old 04-12-2021, 11:18 PM
Charter Member

Wow! Cool guitar!

- Glenn
Old 04-13-2021, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I bet that set sounds great in that guitar! Post some clips when you get the time I would love to hear it!

I’m super shy when it comes to uploading videos of myself playing. I feel like I’m at 6 months into learning guitar right after I hit the record button. Sometime this week I’m picking up that Peavey amp (we agreed on a deal today but our work schedules makes it impossible to do this on a weekday), and I’ll try and get a decent recording/video out of that.

But even on my katana amp, I can already tell the nuances of these pickups. The bridge is very dynamic and responds so well to the volume pot, the harmonics are amazing. I have a JCM 800 patch on my Katana, and it sounds very aggressive with the pot maxed out, but it tapers to a very nice crunch when you roll it off about 75%. On the clean channel, it overdrives when the volume is maxed out, so need to roll back about 25% to clean it up. This is quite the hot pickup. The neck sounds so good, and warm like a Les Paul, especially if you roll off the tone pot a bit, and so stratty when split.
Old 04-13-2021, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Wow! Cool guitar!

- Glenn

Thanks! I love to look at it as much as I love to play it. [emoji4]
Old 04-13-2021, 07:27 AM

Quote:
I’m about to call that guy. The problem is that I don’t have a place to crank up that amp. 30 watt tube is definitely louder than my Katana 50 which I don’t even play halfway without my wife yelling to turn it down. But getting it just because it’s a deal considering it’s modded.
1Neeto,
There is a school of thought circulating the web right now concerning tube amps and saturation of tone while controlling volume levels.

The long and the short of it is: Really crank up your amp, both the channel and master volume controls to the real sweet spot where your amp is alive and musical. Dial in the eq section where you like it to be. Now most times, this setup on a tube amp is very, very loud.

The studio guys are saying to lower the volume knob on the guitar and then slowly increase the volume to where the guitar is singing, but well within easy listening volume levels. It adds another dimension to the tone without family members cringing or throwing things at you for peeling paint off the walls.

Tim Pierce did an interview with a studio legend about this, and also, Rick Beato’s gang of studio cats were talking about this. I must make some time to try this on a few different platforms and see the results first hand.
Good luck with your new rig! The guitar is beautiful.
frank d.

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-15-2021 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Fixed quote.
Old 04-13-2021, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post

1Neeto,
There is a school of thought circulating the web right now concerning tube amps and saturation of tone while controlling volume levels.

The long and the short of it is: Really crank up your amp, both the channel and master volume controls to the real sweet spot where your amp is alive and musical. Dial in the eq section where you like it to be. Now most times, this setup on a tube amp is very, very loud.

The studio guys are saying to lower the volume knob on the guitar and then slowly increase the volume to where the guitar is singing, but well within easy listening volume levels. It adds another dimension to the tone without family members cringing or throwing things at you for peeling paint off the walls.

Tim Pierce did an interview with a studio legend about this, and also, Rick Beato’s gang of studio cats were talking about this. I must make some time to try this on a few different platforms and see the results first hand.
Good luck with your new rig! The guitar is beautiful.
frank d.
That’s some really good insight, thanks! This will be my first tube amp.

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-15-2021 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Fixed quote.
Old 04-15-2021, 01:30 AM

Got the amp today!
Old 04-15-2021, 05:26 AM

Wow! How cool is that! And is a made in USA model to boot. Your home, with all that beautiful new gear, will surely be rockin’. Have fun.
Old 04-15-2021, 04:18 PM

Quote:
That’s some really good insight, thanks! This will be my first tube amp.
Your first tube amp? I'm sure it will be great. I recommend buying an overdrive (OD) pedal. It can give you lots of options.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:09 PM

Double whammy, new PRS and a tube

Congrats and many happy playing hours, i was on the hunt for one too, but haven’t found one yet.

I am going to take that advice above, and try it on my tube amp, before getting arrested.
Old 04-15-2021, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Your first tube amp? I'm sure it will be great. I recommend buying an overdrive (OD) pedal. It can give you lots of options.
I already have a Boss SD-1 that should pair with it quite nicely. The guy is also trying to sell me a Vox Copperhead Drive and a mini tube screamer. Both for just $140! I’m burning through my play cash quite fast [emoji1787]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSB123 View Post
Double whammy, new PRS and a tube

Congrats and many happy playing hours, i was on the hunt for one too, but haven’t found one yet.

I am going to take that advice above, and try it on my tube amp, before getting arrested.

Thanks! Yeah I can’t wait for the weekend so I can get and crank it up a bit. Weekdays is hard to play it louder than bedroom levels past 7pm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
Wow! How cool is that! And is a made in USA model to boot. Your home, with all that beautiful new gear, will surely be rockin’. Have fun.

Thanks! Yeah I read they’re made in China now, so it’s a nice to see this one is MIA. Been trying to match the serial to a year of manufacture, but apparently it’s hard to figure out on any Peavey that’s newer than 1989. Someone on a FB group said it looks like 2005-ish. Something about the logo.
Old 04-16-2021, 05:34 AM

Concerning your amp, you might try searching for a similar image online that may lead to more info on the age of that Peavey.

I have a TransTube Bandit, and didn't know that the USA-made ones with the red stripe trim are considered more special than others...

Congrats again on your latest acquisitions!
Old 04-16-2021, 10:10 AM

You can call the Peavey customer service desk in Meridian, Ms. The guy working the desk is terrific and very helpful. I’m sure he can get you the info you need.
Have fun learning all about your new rig!
Frankie d.
Old 04-16-2021, 02:02 PM

Quote:
I already have a Boss SD-1 that should pair with it quite nicely. The guy is also trying to sell me a Vox Copperhead Drive and a mini tube screamer. Both for just $140! I’m burning through my play cash quite fast [emoji1787]

<<snippet>>
The SD-1 should pair well with your Peavey. If you want to add a little breakup with great tone to your amp put the pedal's gain low and the volume high.
Old 04-16-2021, 02:20 PM

Thanks again guys. I’ll look more into this serial number thing since I’m quite curious about the age of this amp.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars