The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-10-2021, 01:22 PM

Default Klipsch Heritage Groove Bluetooth Speaker

This is a big step up from the Bose Soundlink Color II which clearly had some pretty extreme compression to protect its little woofer from bottoming out (or maybe that was the sound of it bottoming out...). The Klipsch with the Mustang Micro sounds as good as my Yamaha THR5, which is outstanding!

The walnut version was on sale at B&H Photo for $100 when I ordered mine a few days ago, now it's back to $150 :~(.

It's larger, heavier, and does not have the soft rubber outside of the Color II, but still fits nicely in my soft briefcase. I would have ordered black if it was also on sale. My desktop is complete!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...speaker-walnut

One last idea, almost all USB power supplies have common mode noise which will show up as hum when you plug in your guitar and don't hold the strings. I ran a ground wire from the power outlet behind my desk and used a short 3.5mm extension cord to make a place to connect it.

IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 04-10-2021 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-10-2021, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Cant help making this comparison. Same idea. Vox had a 10 year jump on Fender, but still has the old technology. BT input to the fender is a big plus, as are the modern buttons and LEDs, instead of the scratchy mini-pots. If you have one of the older headphone amps, its definitely worthwhile to upgrade to this fender.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 91F737E8-1260-49E2-AB70-A361AE042D1D.jpeg (29.8 KB, 145 views)
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 04-10-2021, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Cant help making this comparison. Same idea. Vox had a 10 year jump on Fender, but still has the old technology. BT input to the fender is a big plus, as are the modern buttons and LEDs, instead of the scratchy mini-pots. If you have one of the older headphone amps, its definitely worthwhile to upgrade to this fender.
I also have an amPlug2 Clean and once you get past a bit less intuitive UI, disposable battery power, and accept the limited clean to mild overdrive, it is also quite good with the plus of a pre gain control.

Jon Fields
Old 04-12-2021, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Major design flaw with the mustang micro: apparently it resembles a chew toy to dogs. Lesson learned- do not leave guitar accessories on the coffee table.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 04-19-2021, 01:09 PM

Default Klipsch Groove (classic)

I returned the Heritage Groove when I discovered the Groove (classic???) was on sale at the Klipsch website and after ordering one discovered it sounded a little better, was more compact, and more gig bag friendly (no sharp edges to its cabinet).

This is the ultimate desktop amp, and acoustic guitar volume level jam setup, IMHO. There might be zero compression used to protect this speakers driver as it sounds natural (the Bose Color II was quite effected with extreme compression).

Jon Fields
Old 04-25-2021, 07:04 AM

Default Beware of the even bigger idiot...it might be you

I played my first (outdoors) winery gig of 2021 yesterday; PRS McCarty 594 Thinline and Fender Mustang Micro directly to our QSC CP8 that sits at a little above head level a few feet behind us. We used to play two acoustic guitars, or acoustic and electric bass. Now it's my electric and he's either on acoustic or bass. I am liking our mostly classic rock covers much better on electric and the audience feedback has been unanimously positive. Honestly to my ear, just strumming chords sounds better on my electric than his Taylor ES-2. Amplified acoustic guitar was never my favorite.

I really liked the tone and having the master volume right at hand. I use the guitar's volume knobs and pickup selector to go between rhythm and lead tones. The 65 Deluxe model is perfect to go between perfectly clean, a little bit of richness, and overdrive.

It worked extremely well except for one harrowing moment...

Before the first song of the first set, Simon and Garfunkel's America, I got it into my head to try out the EQ possibilities. Of course I initially changed the reverb level and then fumbled to the EQ rocker. I must have hit power switch at the same time and either put the Micro into Bluetooth Pairing Mode, or turned it off. Of course we had started the song and I did not figure out how to get the sound back until half way through the song. I managed to sing my harmonies while fumbling with the Micro.

Otherwise all good. So the Micro might be very user friendly but it is only almost idiot proof :~).

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 04-25-2021 at 07:09 AM.
Old 04-25-2021, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I played my first (outdoors) winery gig of 2021 yesterday; PRS McCarty 594 Thinline and Fender Mustang Micro directly to our QSC CP8 that sits at a little above head level a few feet behind us. We used to play two acoustic guitars, or acoustic and electric bass. Now it's my electric and he's either on acoustic or bass. I am liking our mostly classic rock covers much better on electric and the audience feedback has been unanimously positive. Honestly to my ear, just strumming chords sounds better on my electric than his Taylor ES-2. Amplified acoustic guitar was never my favorite.

I really liked the tone and having the master volume right at hand. I use the guitar's volume knobs and pickup selector to go between rhythm and lead tones. The 65 Deluxe model is perfect to go between perfectly clean, a little bit of richness, and overdrive.

It worked extremely well except for one harrowing moment...

Before the first song of the first set, Simon and Garfunkel's America, I got it into my head to try out the EQ possibilities. Of course I initially changed the reverb level and then fumbled to the EQ rocker. I must have hit power switch at the same time and either put the Micro into Bluetooth Pairing Mode, or turned it off. Of course we had started the song and I did not figure out how to get the sound back until half way through the song. I managed to sing my harmonies while fumbling with the Micro.

Otherwise all good. So the Micro might be very user friendly but it is only almost idiot proof :~).
This is very cool to hear Jon! What kind of cable are you using to go from Mustang to Klipsch? 1/4" to 1/8"?
I love that this Mustang is usable for gigs, thanks for your report.

Last edited by jricc; 04-25-2021 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-25-2021, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
This is very cool to hear Jon! What kind of cable are you using to go from Mustang to Klipsch? 1/4" to 1/8"?
I love that this Mustang is usable for gigs, thanks for your report.
For the gig I am using Hosa a CMP-110 (3.5 mm TRS stereo to 1/4" mono) because I share the CP8 TRS stereo input with my partner (we each get one side of the 3.5mm TRS to dual 1/4" mono breakout cable).

For the Klipsch at home, I like these cheap Cable Creations cables. They are very flexible and easily let the extra cable fall behind my desk.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also have several Hosa CMM-110 and CMM-115 and I think they are really solid 3.5mm TRS cables. Next electric jam session I'll bring one of these, the CP8, and the Mustang Micro. One trip from the car even with the guitar!

Jon Fields
Old 04-25-2021, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

I had a Fender Mustang 100W and 200W so was very familiar with the modeling and the amp sounds.

I tried to order one of these through SW but they couldn't get them in stock for a while - Fender had them in their store so I went direct.

Mine came today.

Apparently the manual is out for translation and isn't available yet but watching 90 seconds of YT videos is all you need.

I just started playing with it but my initial (early) review is A+.

Outstanding tone and probably the best of a handful of headphone amps I've used.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 04-25-2021, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I had a Fender Mustang 100W and 200W so was very familiar with the modeling and the amp sounds.

I tried to order one of these through SW but they couldn't get them in stock for a while - Fender had them in their store so I went direct.

Mine came today.

Apparently the manual is out for translation and isn't available yet but watching 90 seconds of YT videos is all you need.

I just started playing with it but my initial (early) review is A+.

Outstanding tone and probably the best of a handful of headphone amps I've used.
I found the manual online no problem. I don’t know if it is ok to post the link here?
Old 04-26-2021, 03:12 AM
Charter Member

https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/O...g_Micro_US.pdf

Here it is, but I found the wallet card in the box was most helpful. That, and just playing it for a while.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 04-26-2021, 04:21 AM

Default Back in for repairs

I was really disappointed this weekend when my new unit died. There’s something wrong in the battery\charging system; it indicates it’s fully charged and then dies after a a minute or two. Oh well, I am sure that the gang at Sweetwater will make it right.

And I was really enjoying this magnificent little package!

Rick
Old 04-26-2021, 05:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/O...g_Micro_US.pdf

Here it is, but I found the wallet card in the box was most helpful. That, and just playing it for a while.
Thanks !!!!

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 04-26-2021, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
I was really disappointed this weekend when my new unit died. There’s something wrong in the battery\charging system; it indicates it’s fully charged and then dies after a a minute or two. Oh well, I am sure that the gang at Sweetwater will make it right.

And I was really enjoying this magnificent little package!

Rick
Before you send it back, let it sit on a USB charger for a couple of hours. I found that the "battery meter" feature does not work very well and it goes from full on Green (flashing) to not working with no warning that I noticed. It took me more than 6 hours of usage to get to that point after charging it overnight.

Jon Fields
Old 04-26-2021, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Before you send it back, let it sit on a USB charger for a couple of hours. I found that the "battery meter" feature does not work very well and it goes from full on Green (flashing) to not working with no warning that I noticed. It took me more than 6 hours of usage to get to that point after charging it overnight.
Thanks Jon, but - too late - it's already going back to Sweetwater. Oh well, that will be the next firmware update I suppose.

When I get the new one, I'll leave it plugged in for awhile.

best,

Rick

PS - another star for Sweetwater’s customer service. They are sending a new one, and once it’s received by me, they’ll send the return shipping label for the old one. And, they asked for permission to keep the credit card on file in “case” they don’t receive the old one. I like doing business with these folks more and more.

Last edited by srick; 04-26-2021 at 01:28 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars