The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-03-2021, 03:21 AM

Didn't realise this had a wedge Dennis.
Now they are something I definitely am in favour of: I used to be a sceptic but as I've got older I find that even medium sized guitars can be a bit of a handful, especially as I often find myself playing when slouched on the couch at the end of a busy day. I had a Kostal OM and a pal had a pretty-much identical Kostal but with a wedge, and it definitely made his instrument more comfortable to play.

Guitar looks lovely.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 04-03-2021, 04:43 AM

Same as that Steve, these days I find anything larger than a classical a bit bulky, and I don't really like a depth greater than 105mm so even on an OM the wedge is pretty vital!
Old 04-06-2021, 01:13 PM

Santos rosewood FB, which will match the headstock and bridge

Old 04-08-2021, 11:18 AM

Ciaran says it "has that Adirondack growl". Just awaiting fine tuning and ready to ship out on Monday.

Old 04-09-2021, 03:18 AM

Looks lovely: Pure and elegant.

The expectation must be intolerable?!

Cheers,
Steve
Old 04-16-2021, 04:56 PM

Well, it's been about a year, and all the anticipation resolves in opening that box kindly left outside my door by UPS. Nice guitar
The satin finish is quite understated, which I like, and the simplicity of the build does let the woods speak for themselves. I am glad I went for the 47mm (1 27/32!) nut width, I seem to have settled on 47 or 48mm as optimum.
Soundwise, it's had a couple of days to settle in, wake up and start accepting its new life as a guitar. Big, singing tone, very responsively voiced for fingerstyle, lots of sustain. Definitely in the same family tonewise as the McNally 00, but stronger and bolder as you would expect. I really like the Adi top, it's got a lot of musical personality, and the Cuban, well it sounds like mahogany but with a bit extra, a bit more chorus and overtones, maybe a bit more rosewood-ish? Very rewarding to play, so I'm having fun. I'll update with a recording in a few weeks.
There's quite a cool effect that happens in DADGAD when I play the G and B string one semitone apart, the wave dissonance creates a fascinating kind of sonic ripple that sustains for several seconds.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop