The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-05-2021, 07:42 PM

Default Rogue CT-44 Resonator Strings

Dipping my toe into the resonator pool. I bought a used Rogue CT-44 biscuit bridge resonator. Cleaned it up and replace the strings with some phos/bronze 11-52 GHS strings. Seems OK, but I took off 16-57 strings.

I plan on playing as a guitar more than slide. I would like it to be a little brighter, anyone want to suggest my next set of strings? Please?

What about putting in a pickup?
Old 03-06-2021, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilca View Post
Dipping my toe into the resonator pool. I bought a used Rogue CT-44 biscuit bridge resonator. Cleaned it up and replace the strings with some phos/bronze 11-52 GHS strings. Seems OK, but I took off 16-57 strings.

I plan on playing as a guitar more than slide. I would like it to be a little brighter, anyone want to suggest my next set of strings? Please?

What about putting in a pickup?
On my resos I have learned that there are two types of strings. Nickel, and everything else

Oversimplifying, but also kinda true. Brightness isn't usually a problem for a biscuit type witn non-nickel strings. Personally my go to are EJ-16s or EJ-17s depending on what gauge I want. This is due to the fact that I can always find 3 packs and 10 packs on sale.

My simple recommendation is to not worry about the alloy (though don't go nickel if you want brightness), but bump it up to 12s. The extra tension should "improve" the sound. 13s even more so, but since you like 11s, maybe just go to 12s.

Have fun with that thing!
Old 03-06-2021, 04:44 PM

Thanks blue. I chose the 11's to put on it since that is what I keep in stock for my other acoustics. I may try some 80/20 13's next.

This thing is mahogany laminate top, back and sides, I think this adds some darkness to the sound.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments