The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-02-2019, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
I can't think of a better song than "Amazing Grace." Perfect.

Another one I love is a song by Karla Bonoff (also covered by Linda Ronstadt) called "Goodbye, My Friend." I just read online that it was about losing her cat to a coyote, but I could have sworn she said during a live show a few years back that it was her dog. Any way you slice it, it's a beautiful song about losing a close friend.

Here's a live version of Karla doing it:

That's is a beautiful song. I had forgotten about it - thanks for the reminder.
To OP - sorry to hear about your beagle. Wishing you both comfort during a difficult time.

Best,
Jayne
Old 08-02-2019, 07:50 AM

I’m very sorry to hear about this. Do whatever you think is best. The song won’t matter to your dog, just your comforting presence.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 08-02-2019, 08:00 AM

Just know that your dog lived a much longer than usual life, as others have said, it's one of the hardest things we have to do.

My condolences for you & your family. You've helped relieve him from the problems of life.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:42 AM

Dogs and cats are also part of our family. Sorry for your loss as well, I have gone through this too. "Old Dogs" by Bill Staines is the best tribute to a wonderful dog family member I know.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

I'm very sorry for your loss, and although I'm probably too late to offer any advice... it would be to simply be there as a calming presence in your pets final moments. Tell him what a good boy he is, hold him, and let him hear your voice and see your face. Earlier this spring, we had to say goodbye to our beloved 17yo cat, who was a tremendous part of 1/3 of my life. It's not easy, but if he's suffering, you're doing a merciful thing to end his pain and discomfort. Rest easy, knowing he had a good life with you. R.I.P.
Old 08-02-2019, 12:05 PM

"My mind talks to you, my heart looks for you, yet my soul knows you are at peace.
Old 08-02-2019, 12:40 PM

Thank you for all of your kind words and thoughts! This forum has people with such beautiful hearts, and I look forward to spending more time here.

Anyway, we just returned from the vet and are so emotionally drained. I played the beginner's song that I've been working on to him this morning (Knockin on Heaven's Door) but in the end, we just held him close and comforted him, constantly reminding him that we was loved and that he was always a good boy.

The house seems so empty now that the reality of having the kids and our beloved pet gone has finally hit. We'll spend the weekend grieving the loss, but also being grateul for 17 good years. A wise man once said that if you want to find happiness, find thankfulness...
'02 American Series Strat – Sky Blue/RW
'05 Epiphone Les Paul – Amber Birdseye Maple w/ SD 59 neck & JB bridge
'04 Yamaha FG403S Dread
'14 Recording King ROS-06 12-fret Slothead
'17 Recording King 000 RO-T16 Torrefied top

Last edited by skyblue314; 08-02-2019 at 11:26 PM.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:03 PM

Thank you for being there ... 😔

2018 Michaud OO-R
2012 Webber Dreadnaught *SOLD*
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
1979 Yamaha FG375S (retired)
1974 Norman B30 (retired)
Old 08-02-2019, 01:23 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I'm sorry to hear this being a dog lover as well. We lost our first mini schnauzer suddenly (heart failure). She was only ten. A few months later we purchased our second mini. A new puppy helps mend the heart a bit, although you'll never forget them.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-02-2019, 01:31 PM
AGF Sponsor

We have a mutt named Romeo who is probably about seven or eight now. He is the apple of my eye. He's black and white and low to the ground; we think he's part Corgi.

This little guy was most likely abused or neglected before he went to the pound. He has the sweetest disposition, just so gentle and optimistic, but flinches when cornered or if you get too close. He loves carrots, so I bribe him with carrots.

Romeo fits his demeanor perfectly.

So sad for your loss. Nothing more precious than a great dog.

Scott Memmer
Old 08-02-2019, 02:26 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'd had dogs all my life, but they had always died of natural causes so I was in my 30s before I had to make that heart-breaking decision to have one put to sleep. It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.
Yamaha FG730S
1950 Epiphone Triumph
Old 08-02-2019, 07:53 PM

Such a very difficult task, yet one many of us have had to complete. A couple of months ago we had to put our 12 year old Pomeranian down. Knowing her time was very short, I told her many times how much I loved her, and thanked her for loving me unconditionally. When the dreaded day came, we all held her, kissed her and said our goodbyes. I came home and cried like a baby.
I’m quite sure I will never be able to own another dog after this.
OP, your dog already knows how you feel. My thoughts are with you...
Old 08-04-2019, 06:08 AM
Charter Member

Default We share your heartache

The caring responses in this thread document how many of us have been where you are. It's a tough time for anyone who loves a pet; words of comfort are woefully inadequate. When a pet begins to suffer, they depend on us to end the misery.
Taylor 714ce; Wechter/Scheerhorn square neck reso; Gibson TG-25, HP665; Rockbridge 000 Custom BZ; Guild DS-240, F112; Martin HD-28, J-40, D-15SS; Northwood L-00; Regal resonator; Furch Vintage 3 OM-SR; Larrivee L-03W; Gretsch resonator; Mackenzie/Marr Ian Tyson;
Old 08-04-2019, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Man! Tough one...

I went through this last year, April... had to put down my sole companion of the past 9+ years; out of nowhere, she developed some tumor on the side of her eye, and it was basically inoperable, not to mention hideously expensive to attempt to correct...

Ms. Piper Otis Jones (rip 2018)... Piper when I got her, but Jones came in from the Rodgers and Hart tune, "Have You Met Miss Jones", and stuck with her... and then Otis snuck in there, I think mostly from word-play between us, but I attribute the name to an arcane Cole Porter tune, "Miss Otis Regrets"...

I realized that I had kept her alive for a good week or so, just because I couldn't deal with the reality of letting her go... putting her down, bringing her home and burying her was one of the most gut-wrenching points in all my 60+ years...

I loved my Mom and Dad, and I felt honored to be there with them each, as they made the transition... but this was totally different, and hit me harder than either of their deaths.

Maybe because I'm a single guy, music focused.. and it was just Piper and me, for a long time... her little spirit would hang out for weeks and months, whenever I seemed to think on her a lot...

I came to the point where I had to discipline my little brain to think of ALL the good stuff; all the wacky times and antics, the traveling, the various home sin which we lived together... and just let that all wash over me, soothe me...

I'm really glad that your dog had a family like yours to live his life... happy for you that you had such a great critter...

Who knows? You might end up with another friend at some point. Folks told me, "Get another one, it's the best cure...", but I couldn't even think about that for 6 or seven months, even though my breeder-friend in Montana told me she would give me another Boston Terrier puppy when I was ready...

Took until March this year... and I drove up through WA in blizzard conditions and brought her home... She was born on Christmas Eve, and she was a wondrous gift from that breeder..

Full name: Christmas Eve Blessing... 7+ months now and Good Lord! What a handful! She is a great little friend already... and curiously, I haven't forgotten my bond with Piper at all... having Eve actually heightens and enriches that old bond...

All in all, I do hope you find all the wonderful, positive aspects of your long-term little friend to dwell upon... tough to say goodbye, but that makes the relationship all the richer. It's an honor to be with a friend when they go...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

Last edited by jseth; 08-04-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-04-2019, 02:51 PM

Sorry to hear of your loss. I have had to do that before. Always rips me apart. Blessed be.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic